PDA

View Full Version : Sunday August 27th

Mtn WJ
08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Anyone want to do a night run on August 27th to see Mars? We can run BML or Yankee Hill or something similar. Supposed to be a good show.

BigDaveZJ
08-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Had to undelete this one . . . . LOL

I'm guessing you checked snopes or someone corrected you after you got the email?

It's like the email was legit, but it wasn't!!! :flipoff2:

I had thought about doing the same thing until I found out it was bogus. BUT a night run up BML or somewhere similar would definitely be sweet.

JohnBoulderCO
08-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Remember how big Mars was the summer of 2003? That was so cool.
Mars won't be that close again until August, 28, 2287.

http://www.spacetoday.org/SolSys/Mars/MarsThePlanet/MarsNearEarth.html

Mtn WJ
08-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Dave you're a dog. Pretty funny. I had several emails from who I thought were reliable sources before I posted the run. Right after I posted this I checked it out on Snopes and realized it was a hoax for 2006.

I agree a night run up BML would be very cool. How about August 26th?

Cody
08-09-2006, 12:36 AM
where would this night run start from?

BigDaveZJ
08-09-2006, 01:05 AM
where would this night run start from?

If it's Bill Moore Lake, about 5 minutes off I-70, roughly 30 miles west of Denver.

Mtn WJ
08-09-2006, 01:06 AM
Umm at the begining of the Trail. :confused:

Bill Moore Lake starts at the north end of the town of Empire CO.

Cody
08-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Umm at the begining of the Trail. :confused:

Bill Moore Lake starts at the north end of the town of Empire CO.

not particularly familiar with the area, however I do have 5 days off and have been thinking of heading to Colorado to do some exploring/camping etc.

Cody

JohnBoulderCO
08-09-2006, 08:09 PM
On foot or are you going to bring that new rig of yours? :D

Cody
08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
not sure. i'll either finally get around to licensing the new rig, or we'll be in my buddies 4 runner....

Mtn WJ
08-10-2006, 10:34 AM
let us know your plans. We are camping along Wheeler Lake this weekend. Bill Moore Lake (BML) has some nice camping areas so it may be a good fit for everyone.

BigDaveZJ
08-10-2006, 10:52 AM
We'd be up for camping up there too. I gotta work Saturday, but Pam and I could head up after I get out of work and meet you guys at the campsite. We could do a little night wheeling, then head back to camp and hit another trail (Spring Creek?) in the morning.

Colorado 5.9
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
let us know your plans. We are camping along Wheeler Lake this weekend. Bill Moore Lake (BML) has some nice camping areas so it may be a good fit for everyone.

It's gona be crowded up there this weekend. http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=71412

Mtn WJ
08-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Looks like it. Maybe we will go towards Buena Vista or somewhere else instead.

zjmike4
08-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Cody, that'd be sweet if you came out here for a few days. I want to run redcone too, still haven't done that one yet this year.

Also you might want to steer clear of holy cross this weekend too, 30+ jeeps from my Dad's club are heading up there, along with me, for the annual run, this year the staging is better so it looks like the 5 1/2 hour parking lot obstacle (french creek) will not be bad.

And I'd be down for a night run up Bill Moore, we should make it a camping trip! Setup camp somewhere near the bottom, then run the trail at night and then run something the next day.

BigDaveZJ
08-16-2006, 11:19 PM
We just ordered up a tent so we'll be good to go for some night wheeling and camping! I'll get out of work around 6 on Saturday, and can head up asap after that!

zjmike4
08-23-2006, 10:46 PM
So are we still planning on making this run? I may have to show up later Saturday night for some camping.

BigDaveZJ
08-23-2006, 10:53 PM
Mike, the current plan is for Keith and us to meet somewhere along C470 after I get out of work.

Mtn WJ
08-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Yep we are ready to go Saturday evening.

zjmike4
08-25-2006, 01:05 AM
ok around what time? You guys want to jump off around El Rancho / Evergreen Parkway exit and meet up with me? What trail and camping? I should be done with work and ready to go by 5pm.

Mtn WJ
08-25-2006, 10:49 AM
The plan is for Dave and I to meet around 6:30 near 470 and Broadway which means we would be near the Rancho exit off of 70 by 7 at the latest. We are planning to run Bill Moore but first set up a campsite just past the chute and then do a night run up BML. I want to get up and go on Sunday to be home around noon-1pm.

BigDaveZJ
08-25-2006, 10:53 AM
AND the fire ban is lifted so we're planning on a campfire and s'mores.

Mtn WJ
08-25-2006, 11:47 AM
We can sing songs tell ghost stories and have some Peach Cobbler.

zjmike4
08-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Sounds good, I may bring a beer or 12 too... I have a company party that starts at 630 in Denver that I have to go to, but I should be out of there by 8 and then I will meet up with you guys either on the trail or at the campsite. Dave, want to run something on Sunday?

BigDaveZJ
08-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Something on Sunday is certainly a possibility. We don't plan on breaking camp too early, but maybe Spring Creek, or baja Guanella and do Twin Cone or something.

We'll be bringing a rather large tarp to use as a rainfly too as we could get some rain Saturday night and after not having a fire, or dry chairs to sit in, after wheeler lake, I'm having a camp fire come hell or high water.

BigDaveZJ
08-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Got some tickets to the game through work for Sunday, so we're probably looking at a pretty short day on Sunday now.

Mtn WJ
08-25-2006, 06:15 PM
What section are you in?

Kathy and I are going too.

BigDaveZJ
08-25-2006, 08:24 PM
We were in 522 last week, assuming the same again. Its a HIKE to get up there, but being able to see the whole field is pretty sweet.

zjmike4
08-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Ok I am good to go, I am planning on leaving my company party around 730, its near broadway and 25, so I should be around an hour behind you guys. Also my dad is coming, and possibly one other guy with a built TJ. The plan is to get up there and catch up with you guys either by the campsite or up on the trail. don't wait for us before you go up, but if you leave without us. stack a bunch of rocks by the site so I know where to dump all my gear and then we'll head up. What cb channel? I will call you guys on the cb once I get on the trail head.

I'm putting my new tie rod on now and hopefully I be sportin my new tires too.

BigDaveZJ
08-26-2006, 12:26 PM
So what do we wanna do if/when the weather turns to shit? They're talking about hail, real heavy rain, and possible tornados this afternoon. I've been watching the radar and it doesn't look TOO bad up in the mountains, but the snow line is supposed to be pretty close to where we're gonna be.

zjmike4
08-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Snow camping. It hailed up here in evergreen for a while but its warm now and the suns coming out. Up to you guys, I'm cutting it close right now with my tie rod, I can't get the stupid jam nuts to screw onto the tie rod ends, tried both sides different ways, can't get it. If I can't get this figured out soon then I might not be able to make it, I have to leave evergreen for my company party by 530 and I'm making a quick trip down to boulder to get John's tires right now, so it might be real close for me even making it.

zjmike4
08-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Ok, there is something not right with these tie rod ends. for whatever reason I can't get them on the tie rod, maybe wrong thread size. Anyway, I won't be able to make it tonight since I don't have a functioning Jeep. You guys may want to postpone anyway since I has been raining for the past few hours up here anyway. What about doing this next weekend?

EDIT: got the tie rod put together finally, the tie rod ends threads were really messed up so it took a lot of convincing to get the jam nuts and the actual tie rod threaded but I finally got it. Either way though I say we hold off camping tonight, my friend is driving back from Grand Junction right now and he said there has been hard rain the entire way back so far, so we'd get dumped on all night. Lets go to Holy cross next weekend and camp there!!