PDA

View Full Version : Foglamps AND Highbeams?

hotrodtinker
08-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I was wondering about running all six of my stock forward lights (2 lo-beam, 2 hi-beam AND my 2 foglamps). Is this feasable? Is it difficult? Is it even worth it?

My thoughts were that my foglamps provide good side coverage of the immediate front of my vehicle and it would be nice to have that coverage even with my highbeams on.

I appreciate the help with my previous post; any help/insight you can give now would be great! Thanks guys!

Tinker

P.S. I know (and love) that there are girls out there that wheel. My use of the term "guys" is just an old habit. I use it for boys and girls. Please dont give me dirty looks like my Mom gives me sometimes. :D

cashflowdub
08-08-2006, 04:36 PM
so you want all your lights on at once

ive never heard of that

jdhutton
08-08-2006, 06:49 PM
no ones replied and im sure why. anyhow i hate doing this but do a search on JU (sorry guys) im sure youll find it there. its pretty easy to figure out. so ill leave you with that..since its illegal and not the smartest thing to do. :smt021

ps look at KOR he has a light kit thats like the European ZJ's lights. you can purchase if your just looking for brighter lights.

j

ILikeMud
08-08-2006, 07:01 PM
What year is it? ZJ or WJ?

ZJs it can't be done, since they use 1 bulb for both high and low.

zj-monster
08-08-2006, 07:08 PM
i hate doing this but do a search on JU (sorry guys)
Why be sorry? That's what JU is there for. :booya:

Anyhow, since I'm not a total ass-clown...I did the searching for ya hotrodtinker. I've been snooping around JU lately anyway, dear god someone save me...

Check out Luken18r's post:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677349&highlight=fog+lights

On a serious note though, I would advise NOT doing this on the highway. Blinding the shit out other drivers isn't a good thing. Especially if that driver so happens to be drunk. Drunk drivers are attracted to bright lights.

If you need more light offroad, then a set of PIAA's, HELLA's, or KC's with a switch will do just fine.

jdhutton
08-08-2006, 07:31 PM
ya thats the same one i saw when i looked it up to make sure he could find it. like i said befor its unsafe and also illegal. if your looking for brighter lights in general check out kevins upgrade kit. might still not be legal but at least you not messing with the voltage on the stock wiring.

j

jdhutton
08-08-2006, 07:35 PM
What year is it? ZJ or WJ?

ZJs it can't be done, since they use 1 bulb for both high and low.

on zj's ya it can be done. i mentioned that i wouldnt tell now but lets just say if you put a switch between the high and the low circuit (bridge) it will increase the voltage. not good will most likely fry the harness if done to long.

j

zj-monster
08-08-2006, 07:41 PM
ILikeMud is talking about having both the high & low beams on at the same time (not including the fogs). For the ZJ, it can't be done.

death-mobile
08-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I read an article in JP mag about this. There is a relay and some wires you can buy to do this safely. I don't remember what it involved, but it seemed easy. I wouldn't bother though since you can't use them ON-road. Just buy 2 sets of some off-road lights and some switches so you can use them OFF-road.

goodolboy71
08-08-2006, 09:10 PM
use to be a kit to do just this for the older Chevy Trucks with the 4 headlight system...might work for a jeep:confused:

hotrodtinker
08-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I've got a WJ Granny and, as you are all probably aware, the low and high beams come on at the same time. What I want to do is run my fog lamps at the same time as the other two lights while I'm running down the trails and dirt roads. I'd never (intentially) be inconsiderate (or stupid) enough to run all my lights on the highway. I'm just looking to get a little more light while I save up for some Lightforce offroad lights. Again, thanks for all your input guys!

Tinker

hotrodtinker
08-08-2006, 11:51 PM
ZJMonster - I just looked over that thread you posted for me and they had some really good points. I was just looking for some coverage of the side of the roads (I do a lot of night driving) while out on the trails but I think the best thing would be to just get another pair of lights or something. I just don't want to spend the money right now. Oh well... Thanks again!

Tinker

nate
08-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Sure you can run both the high and low beams. Come on guys.. you can tear apart a ZJ or WJ and run huge ass swampers with crazy lift and suspension... yet you can't run both high and low?

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=357

GeneHubert
08-09-2006, 02:44 AM
I took care of the problem and just ran over a couple of rocks. My fog lamps now work well for rear trail and back up lights. The bumper didn't fair as well. It had to be replaced. Dam Rubicon Trail!

So I ended up with aftermarket lights on top of my home brewed bumper set up on their own foot switch. The foot switch is easy to install in the plastic foot brace next to the brake.

With it on the foot switch, you got lights when you want lights. High, Low or just the fog lights. So for $6 for a switch, some wire and a couple of hours, you can do the same with the stock lights. Just run the wires, install the switch and call it a day. If you want to be fancy, as I was, I put them on a relay from the dash lights so that they turn off with the key. oppsss... another $3.78 for the relay.

The lights are only 55 watt, so it don't take big ass wire.

That's my suggestion to make it easy and different...

If you want a wire diagram... just ask... I will email it.

It ain't hard...:worthles:

zj-monster
08-09-2006, 10:35 AM
I just don't want to spend the money right now.
Understandable, however...don't count out scoring a set of used lights & other used equipment. Check the for sale threads of any offroading forum, e-bay, local pawn shop, newspapers. There are always someone out there wanting to part out his/her gear.

You might get lucky with some dope who thinks that his/her lights are broken simply 'cause he/she didn't know how to change out the bulbs. I mean come on...can't be any harder than changing out zerks! :rolleyes:

You know people like that are out there...

OverkillZJ
08-09-2006, 11:00 AM
It can be done with the right relays, but on ZJ's, the bulbs will cook very fast.

GeneHubert
08-09-2006, 11:07 AM
It is worth the time to 'scout' out used parts. Or ask if anyone has what you need. People have things in their garage or shed that they 'were going to sell' but haven't. Often they will just give it away to clear a spot. I know, I give away more than I sell if it is going to someone that asks nicely and is appreciative.

As far as lighting or any thing that adds stress to the factory wiring, you should consider a complete separate circuit with added equipment. Or replace the unit with an upgrade that is proven to work with the factory specs for the circuit you are using. In the long run you will probably be glad you did.

The Bright Box may work great, but as mentioned, it adds a lot more heat to the bulbs which will reduce the lifespan of the bulbs. Also if you replace the bulbs with higher wattage (as many do) there may be more current pull on the factory harness than it is designed for. Oh, well...... Just my thoughts. Probably should have kept them to myself.

You might get lucky with some dope who thinks that his/her lights are broken simply 'cause he/she didn't know how to change out the bulbs. I mean come on...can't be any harder than changing out zerks! :rolleyes:

You know people like that are out there...

hotrodtinker
08-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I was originally going to wait on the auxillary lighting (I'm saving up for some Lightforce offroad lights) but I'm going to go ahead and get some cheaper KC-style lights from the autoparts store. That should hold me over until then. Thanks again!