PDA

View Full Version : the poor mans tube notcher

canadian_driver
08-08-2006, 11:12 AM
would i just be able to use a drill press with a hole saw to notch tube? it would be a hell of alot cheaper than a real tube notcher. any thoughts?

OverkillZJ
08-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Yes, a tubing notcher is just a nice clamp which holds the tube strong enough, provides a guide for the drill, and allows you to set the angle in a way it won't move when you notch.

Just get a notcher, I can't imagine trying to notch very many ends without the right tools. Even the harbor freight $50 is said to work OK.

J B
08-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I have done many that way. It helps to have a vise that mounts on the table of your press, but it's not necessary.

It's tougher to make precision cuts, especially if the have to be clocked, simply because of the way the table on the drill press moves.

DJJordache
08-08-2006, 12:37 PM
this might help from pirate:D (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456800)

canadian_driver
08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
well that helped, now im going to start my cage, the harbour freight notcher is much more reasonable.

J B
08-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Yeah, if i had to build a cage, a notcher would be cheap. A large drill press is good if you need to do notches in thick tubing...like the 1.5" OD 1/4" wall tubing that is commonly used for suspensions and steering links.

With a bimetal hole saw on a floor standing drill press, I can cut through tubing like that as if it were butter. That would be tougher on one of the nothers, simply because of the fact that the notcher uses a hand drill.

ProjectZJOM617T
08-16-2006, 01:17 AM
On thick stuff like that I borrow a plasma cutter... I use a notcher like the HF one on thinner stuff and a thinner piece of the same size in the notcher then use it to draw the guidline for the plasma work on the thick stuff...

AprilzWarrior
08-16-2006, 10:10 PM
I have done many that way. It helps to have a vise that mounts on the table of your press, but it's not necessary.

It's tougher to make precision cuts, especially if the have to be clocked, simply because of the way the table on the drill press moves.

This is the way I do it to this day... no need for fancy tools, a vise on my press, or my chop saw both easy... when you get good at something, you wont need to spring for more tools. Maybe thats my grandpa's thinking rubbing off on me (old school sheetmetal man).

AW