PDA

View Full Version : 110v welder and stock d35 control arms brackets onto a 8.8?

DJJordache
07-18-2006, 02:16 PM
yeah I know I'm gonna catch some crap about asking this, but I have a 110v Lincoln welder this one to be exact (http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.asp?p=7101) (using .035 flux core) it says it will weld up to 1/4" steel with 100amps MAX output, could I use this to weld on the stock dana 35 brackets onto the 8.8? and still be SAFE!

I was thinking that I could do multiple passes (with enough cooling between passes) and weld on both sides of the brackets vs the one side stock. And also possibly beef them up with extra plate accross the opening of the control arm brackets.

I'm no hardcore pro at welding but I have taken a local community college class with 42 hours of instruction on welding so I'm not too bad if I must say so myself:D but in the class we were using huge 220v miller setups.

so in short I know a 220v would be best but if I used the one I linked to would it still be safe with the correct prep and everything?

Cue-Ball
07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Anyway you could do it at the school on one of their welders??

DJJordache
07-18-2006, 02:35 PM
ps: I'm going to make a writeup of my 8.8 swap when I get everything ready for it, and I'm going to make it KEEP the ABS:screwy::D and b/c I like a challenge I am going to try and make it work by two different ways:
1. the way Tom did it by mounting the ZJ tone rings and ZJ sensors to the 8.8
2. adapting the Ford system to work with the Jeep system. since the 8.8 tone ring is in the dif and has 108 teeth and each ZJ tone ring has 54 teeth
108/2=54 with some mods to the Ford system I bet I can get it to work:D

DJJordache
07-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Anyway you could do it at the school on one of their welders?? I might but not for sure, It's summer time and harder to get in contact with the teacher at the high school where the class was held, I was thinkin about this and if they will let me I'll just use mine to tak weld the brackets in place and take the axle up there for the final welds...

Jim311
07-18-2006, 07:31 PM
The brackets on the 35 are what.. 3/16ths thick at the highest?

ILikeMud
07-18-2006, 08:24 PM
After my recent exp. with a 110v welder I am convinced they are made as industrial marshmellow roasters.
The one I used couldn't weld 3/16 thick for beans!

DJJordache
07-18-2006, 11:01 PM
yeah they are about 3/16" at most. I have used this welder before for thicker things on various toys and I made my own front sway link extensions that have held strong so far.
maybe I'll find some 3/16" to practice on.

c473
07-18-2006, 11:20 PM
I believe the 8.8 has 1/4" wall tubes, and that is where your trouble will be. The 110 machines don't have enough "heat" to get the penetration you need. You may be able to get a decent looking bead, but those tubes will act like heat sinks, not allowing penetration, and you end up with a cold weld. I would not trust it for suspension mount points. Try to get to that 220 machine.

DJJordache
07-18-2006, 11:37 PM
hmmm I didn't think of the tubes being heat sinks but it's a good point, I think that I'll go the route of using mine to tack weld the brackets in place using mine and then if they will let me at the school I'll do the 220 there, but if not I gotta find someone to weld the brackets for me local.. come to think of it I might know someone:D

goldensd
07-19-2006, 01:10 AM
If your 110 is in good shape it will do it, just make sure the steel is clean, preheat the tubes, and use a slow wire speed and take your time, oh an turn the axle often to maintain a horizontal weld as much as possible.

I did my entire 8.8 mounting all out of 1/4" steel plus clayton's truss with my 110v mig and got everything to burn in just fine, and the flux core will actually burn even hotter.

DJJordache
07-19-2006, 09:01 AM
well since I have a spare set of brackets I can take my time on this and not have to worry about having a vechile down. My welder is in top shape, I try to take care of some of my tools
how do you recomend preheating it? I don't have a oxy torch, how about a butane one, I know it won't fit in the oven:D

goldensd
07-20-2006, 02:16 AM
Well I wouldn't necessarily call this preheating, or the correct way, but I did some heavy spot welds in a couple places which got everything warmed up, and then started my pass and burned right back thru the welds. I'm sure it wouldn't pass an xray, but it burned in good and has been fine so far. Other than that use a propane torch, it should still get a starting area up to a few hundred degrees.

Also, make sure you DO NOT use an extension cord on the welder, it will create losses.

DJJordache
07-20-2006, 10:30 AM
thanks for the idea, I think i'll practice on some spare metal. oh and I know about the extension cord thing, mine is pluged in to a high amp plug I put in that is RIGHT next to the fuse box just for the welder:D

BMRisko
07-24-2006, 01:44 AM
If your 110 is in good shape it will do it, just make sure the steel is clean, preheat the tubes, and use a slow wire speed and take your time, oh an turn the axle often to maintain a horizontal weld as much as possible.

I did my entire 8.8 mounting all out of 1/4" steel plus clayton's truss with my 110v mig and got everything to burn in just fine, and the flux core will actually burn even hotter.

What he said...I did my entire 8.8 with 110v as well.