PDA

View Full Version : Red Cone Sunday July 23rd

Mtn WJ
07-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Who's in for Sunday July 23rd to run the Red Cone area. From the latest reports it looks like the northern Webster area is clear which gives us a lot of options for returning. We can start off of 285 run up Red Cone and then return either Webster to Radical Hill and down Deer Trail or just take Webster to Montezuma. Either way we will return on I70. I do not think St Johns is open all the way so we will need to run Deer Trail back if we go up Radical Hill. My daughter wants to see the Mountain Goats anyway.

I suggest we meet at the Fort parking lot off of 285 at 8:30 and leave by 9am. We can leave later if you all decide to sleep in a bit.

BigDaveZJ
07-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Keith,
We're heading to Bandimere for TruckFest on the 23rd, so we're out.

JohnBoulderCO
07-20-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm in. Let's run Radical Hill to see the mountain goats!

Mtn WJ
07-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Cool
I was thinking the same thing about Radical Hill. I will check on the status of St Johns otherwise from Radical Hill we can return via Deer Trail to Montezuma Road and then through Keystone. If time allows we can take Loveland Pass to I70.

Metalman
07-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Can't make it on Sunday, but I plan on running those trails on Friday or Saturday. If I make it to St Johns, I'll let you know if it's open. It's been pretty warm up here, so I would be surprised if there's much snow left.

Mtn WJ
07-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks Curt it would be most appreciated if you give us an update on St Johns etc. I understand there may be a snow drift at the bottom of the southern most section of St Johns just before you climb up to meet Deer Trail and Tiger Road.

SCAMPER ZJ
07-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Man, I've been wanting to do Red Cone - but this Sunday I have hockey AND work, so I'm out. :(

We were in that area last week, but didn't do Red Cone. However, we did Deer Creek then up to the top of Radical Hill, had lunch, then the group split with half going down St. John's. Our half continued on North Fork of the Swan then down Tiger Road. None of us saw ANY snow on the trail, you'll be fine.

I did see two goats, got some good pics too! :)

Metalman
07-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Just got back from Red Cone. St. Johns is open as well as everywhere else up there. Did a few new trails for the first time. An awesome trail with spectacular views is Santa Fe Peak Road., some of the best scenery in Colorado for sure. The trail is not very hard but takes you up to the top of the divide with amazing 360 degree views. When you go in to Montezuma from Red Cone, take a right at the stop sign just past the turnoff to St. John's. About 6 miles is the summit.

Mtn WJ
07-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Curt

Thanks for the updates. We may get a chance to check that one out too. Looks like it will be 3 or 4 of us which will give us a chance to explore a little more than usual.

For those of you going we are still planning to leave the Fort Parking Lot around 9am.

Keith

JohnBoulderCO
07-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Yepper! :D See you at 9am