PDA

View Full Version : Engine stand

zj-monster
07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Anyone got a good recomendation on an engine stand? Just in case I'm missing something else good.

I was thinking about the SUM-G1010 from Summit. 2,000 lbs and it folds up. :D

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG1010&N=115&autoview=sku

Jim311
07-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Seems a bit overkill unless you're working on diesel engines or something. Still a good price and probably decent quality.

CurtP
07-11-2006, 04:28 PM
If I was building engines on a regular basis, I'd pop for one of those Matco geared-head engine stands (which is made by Sunex, I believe). However, I don't need an engine stand very often, so I went with a cheapie Harbor Freight 1000# capacity stand (p/n 32916-4VGA); I think I paid $35 for it on sale at a local store.

2000# is way overkill, IMO - unless you're building an Elephant or some other monster. The HF stand held up my complete LT1 with the tubular engine cradle and control arms just fine.

zj-monster
07-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Good enough for me, I was just looking at the one by summit cuz it folds up. Just in case Uncle Sam decides to move me to another installation I can take it with me.

I don't mind a cheapie as long as it's good and gets the job done. Actually, anything under $50 and of good quality is quite a surprise to me.

CurtP
07-11-2006, 08:09 PM
The HF one doesn't fold up, but it comes unassembled. I took mine apart and put it up in the garage attic to get it out of the way. Now if I could figure out a way to get the damn engine hoist up there...

JeepinHank
07-13-2006, 11:26 AM
I've got one I'll loan you for a while if you'd like. Its just collecting dust right now anyway. I bought it to rebuild the engine on an old CJ-5 I had, but I ended up selling the CJ and enjine.

I have since pulled and worked on one 4.0 about 4 years ago, and its been sitting ever since. My only requirement is that you put some more stickers on it. The flowmaster sticker looks lonely.

TrojanMan
07-13-2006, 11:08 PM
i'm thinking about buying one from work, we sell them for 37 bucks and I get 20% off of that:best:

nate
07-14-2006, 08:28 AM
All I have to say about engine stands is buy the biggest and best you can afford.

My brother bought a 750lber from the gypsies (Cummings tool sales). He put a Ford 351 on it, and the stand collasped.

Now a 351 doesn't weigh anything near what the stand was rated for.

He ended up making one.... http://alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=15510&highlight=engine+stand (I think my web server is down, so the pics aren't showing up)

CurtP
07-14-2006, 01:10 PM
He ended up making one.... http://alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=15510&highlight=engine+stand (I think my web server is down, so the pics aren't showing up)
Holy shit dude - someone has way too much time on their hands! That's a really nice stand, but damn! :eek:

Which 351? Long-block Windsor is around 550#, and a Cleveland is around 600#, depending on configuration (aluminum/cast-iron heads, intake, etc). If he stuck a complete engine on the stand (or stressed it), then I could definately see a 750# capacity stand breaking. What broke - the stand, head or a wheel/axle?

My made-in-China special did just fine, but I was worried when I bolted the engine cradle and LCA's to it. Like I said - if I was building engines on a regular basis, I'd buy a nicer engine stand. However, I don't particuarly care for the two-outrigger engine stands - they're always in the way when I'm trying to work on the engine.

Some shop safety basics should be followed no matter what. Any time I work in the garage with something on a stand, lift or hoist, I'm wearing steel-toes and long pants. I've dropped a cam on my foot before while wearing tennis shoes - and that hurt like a motherfucker!

nate
07-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Windsor motor. Complete.

My brother is a machinist/welder and he built that on his spare time. Took about 2 months.

He was a full time college student, plus teaching classes and also working 20-30 hrs a week when he built that, so for sure didn't have too much time on his hands. Just a fun project and he has maybe $100 of materials into it.

He's now working as a product engineer for Smith and Wesson. So if you have problems with handguns, he's the guy to talk to... he deals with only 4 or 5 of them, I can't remember which though.