PDA

View Full Version : July 4th Weekend - Spring Creek/Twin Cone/Red Cone/Boreas Pass

Matt
07-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Thought I would post some pics from the trip last weekend. Had a lot of fun and really no carnage to report (which is always nice).

Sat met up with Matt from T&T and we ran Spring Creek. About the time we hit the rock garden it stated to rain pretty good, which made for a good time. I also recommend going down the Georgetown side as it offers some really good views.

Sat night met some friends from work and headed up towards Red Cone and camped for the night. A really beautiful valley and didn't rain a bit all night.

Sunday morning we ran Webster up to the ridge and found a large drift of snow still blocking the way over. Ran up to the top of Red Cone, snapped some pictures and then headed back to Silverthorne for some Lunch.

Since we were going to use Webster Pass as a shortcut to Twin Cone, we ended up using a alternate route through Breckenridge and took Boreas Pass to Como. Not much of a trail but a really pretty drive, rained the whole way, but I'd imagine in the fall it would be stunning seeing the colors.

Sunday afternoon, Made it to the trailhead of Twin Cone, and started up in the rain. The lil rock garden was full of mud and slick rock, and I ended up getting a little stuck on some optional lines, but made it up to the top with plenty of day light to spare. It was good timing too as the clouds parted and it stopped raining the entire time we were above tree line.

The only damage (if you want to call it that) was a chewed up 8.8 stock cover. Peeled it up on a rock and lost a bit of gear oil, but got out the BFH and ended up making it work for the ride home. Needless to say, a rockcrusher 8.8 cover has been ordered, stock is a wee bit weak. :)

Great weekend with lots of scenic views!

Pics:

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j131/mountainmatt/July%204th%20trip/

Vids:

http://www.savefile.com/projects.php?pid=877999

BigDaveZJ
07-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Matt,
We were going to run Twin Cone on Monday, but ran into the same problem! Damn rain!! We decided against it after being hailed on Sunday on Wheeler. And Boreas is a beautiful drive. We did it in my DD a few weeks ago in good weather. DEFINITELY something we want to go back and do during the Aspens.

Matt
07-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it was pretty soggy. At one point I was standing on the brakes sliding backwards off the rocks and threw the mud.