PDA

View Full Version : confused and frustrated

KMak
07-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Well i finally did my np231 swap and also my ford 8.8 swap in my grand cherokee. I was running the rubicon express 4.5" kit with 2" coil spacers and everything was fine and dandy. Well... keyword "was".... I'm out trying to set up the 8.8 and it now seems like the coils are arching due to the axle not being back far enough. Before i never had a problem, and i've checked and the pinion angle was 10' and i put the spring perchecs at 0... So im just curious if anyone has ran into a problem like this before.... and If its gonna wind up with me putting long arms on instead... If anyone has any ideas please let me know.... I'm just really getting frustrated now

Thanks

Ken

nate
07-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Extend the arms

zj-monster
07-07-2006, 07:09 PM
So you're running 6.5" on short arms?

Am I right or is my math out of wack here?

:smt017

KMak
07-07-2006, 07:54 PM
So you're running 6.5" on short arms?

Am I right or is my math out of wack here?

:smt017

lol your math would be correct unfortunately haha..... its just pissing me off cuz it was set up fine when i had the d35c in and now im just getting angry lol... I think takin a break and starting over will definetley help

DJJordache
07-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Extend the arms yeah why don't you just move the axle back a little:confused: there is probably enough slip in the rear driveshaft depending on your setup

Swamp boy
07-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Be careful when you move it back. The trackbar will hit the fuel tank if you go to far back..

KevinF
07-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Well i finally did my np231 swap

Does the 231 have an SYE installed? If so, then the pinion (obviously) needs to point at the center of the rear flange, and the brackets need to be rewelded further forward around the axis to alleviate this issue.

If they are bowing like an "S", then you just simply have the axle too far rearward.

If you have it set at 10*, then you must be installing an SYE, because the "normal" setting would be 6* off of the transfer case, and the rear axle needs to be within 1/2 a degree of the transfer case. You have the Jeep level front/rear when you measured the degree of angularity, right? Could your angle finder be off? Make sure to use the angle finder pointed the same direction (dial always on either the driver's side or always on the passenger side) to reduce any variation by a dial that's mounted a degree or two off. Can you guess how I know about that??? :)

Kevin

KMak
07-11-2006, 04:03 AM
Does the 231 have an SYE installed? If so, then the pinion (obviously) needs to point at the center of the rear flange, and the brackets need to be rewelded further forward around the axis to alleviate this issue.

If they are bowing like an "S", then you just simply have the axle too far rearward.

If you have it set at 10*, then you must be installing an SYE, because the "normal" setting would be 6* off of the transfer case, and the rear axle needs to be within 1/2 a degree of the transfer case. You have the Jeep level front/rear when you measured the degree of angularity, right? Could your angle finder be off? Make sure to use the angle finder pointed the same direction (dial always on either the driver's side or always on the passenger side) to reduce any variation by a dial that's mounted a degree or two off. Can you guess how I know about that??? :)

Kevin

Hey guys , thanks for the help....
Kevin, no i have not installed a SYE.... When i used my angle finder to measure the pinion angle i checked multiple times and it came out 10' .... So i don't know if i really screwed up somewhere or what.... I have it all ripped apart again and im gonna mock it up under the truck and see if im just on glue or what..... But i don't see how i messed it up this much... Im just getting more and more frustrated because theres pretty much no-one out here to help me... I've been doin everything in my gravel driveway....

Ken