PDA

View Full Version : Welding LCA Axle brackets

Dragonfuel
07-06-2006, 10:48 AM
When welding new Axle brackets on to your axle, is there concern about the fluid catching fire or Melting seals.
I have never done this and am new to welding. Besides Disconnecting the battery, what else do I need to do before welding these tabs on. I would prefer to leave the axle installed, with obvious parts removed for access.

nate
07-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Put the ground on the same side of the hog that your welding on... so your not welding across the carrier bearings.

I've never disco a battery to weld, never had a problem, so if you want to take the time, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

No seals to melt were you are welding and no oil.

Kraqa
07-06-2006, 03:16 PM
doesn't matter what side of the axle has the groundclamp.

if you weld with the axle in place, unless your an expert welder, will be a shitty weld. You will be out of position and it will be an uphand weld. I'l bet you wont get very good penetration and the braket will tear off.

pull the axle, clean the metal and make a horizontal weld.

and no the fluid will be fine. if your welding on your front then you can melt the inner axle seals. I've done this once.

DJJordache
07-06-2006, 07:19 PM
when welding the CA brackets on would it be stronger to weld the outside and inside of the brackets? Or maybe do a few passes to try and spread out the weld.... with of course plenty of time between for cooling

Swamp boy
07-08-2006, 09:37 AM
I always weld them inside and out.. It cant hurt

nate
07-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Kraga, it's not good to weld through the bearings. More than likely it won't damage them, but I have seen bearings that were pitted from it.

It just makes more sense to have the ground close to where your welding if possible.

As for the brackets, are your stockers completely fawked up? What I did on mine before they got messed up is covered them with some 3/16" plate, on both sides, the back and front. I didn't have to mess with getting anything lined up since I had the stockers to weld on to.

Kraqa
07-08-2006, 03:03 PM
i'v welded on piles of axles and never had a single problem. Nor have i ever herd abotu this phenominon befor, until now. I woudl not worry about it. Electrisity takes the path of least resistance. small bearings or a large steel housing?

nate
07-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Here is some info:
http://www.vibanalysis.co.uk/technical/electric/electric.html

It's not that it "will" happen, but there is a chance. I've always been told to ground on the same side of the hog that you are welding on.

Could be the same deal as disco'ing the battery. I've never done it... but some people say you need to.

DJJordache
07-08-2006, 05:06 PM
What I did on mine before they got messed up is covered them with some 3/16" plate, on both sides, the back and front.
you wouldn't happen to have any pics of this would ya? I'm trying to get some ideas for my 8.8 swap since my spare set of stock brackets will be here next week.

nate
07-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah I think I do. What's your email address?

nate
07-08-2006, 08:08 PM
http://www.98JeepZJ.com/photos/jeepbuild/index.html

They are in there.

Kraqa
07-09-2006, 04:14 AM
that might be because of stick welding. if i was sstick welding the axle i definalty would. the cast housing will affect the grounding circuit so that you will be arch blow. ground on the same side and voula your arch blow is corrected, but mig is not affected by arch blow.

KevinF
07-11-2006, 02:14 AM
It just makes more sense to have the ground close to where your welding if possible.

Agreed. Though in most cases it's a small variance, the further the ground clamp is away from the weld, the more resistance you have.

On the CA brackets I've welded, I've never seen the fluid heat up enough to even allow smoke to come out of the breather tube. You'd have to get the entire tube red hot by welding in one spot for an extended amount of time to have that problem. The thickness of the axle tube is 1/4" at least, and the thickness of the bracket is half that. Assuming you're moving your puddle at the appropriate speed, there is no reason to heat the tube enough to cause a problem with oil smoldering. I can see the inner seal giving you problems, though...if you're welding close to the edges of the pumpkin.

Kris' advice is good...taking the axle out and welding horizontally, but it's a HELL of a lot of work to do so if all you're doing is welding a control arm mount on a connected axle. It's a lot easier to post a request for a good welder who's good at out-of-position to come by and handle it for you for a 12-pack or something. On the flip side, if you're a less-than-average welder and too lazy to get the few weeks worth of practice before trying to weld it yourself, you're going to have quite a surprise when that bracket comes off the axle while cornering. Just like sex, good penetration is key.

Kevin

nate
07-11-2006, 02:16 PM
By the way is this the front or rear axle? I was under the impression you were working on the front.

egon
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
I've never seen the fluid heat up enough to even allow smoke to come out of the breather tube.

Both times I've welded to my axles, RE control arm mounts on the front and a truss on the rear, the burning grease and oil made the axles smoke like a bad cigar.

If you are getting enough penetration to weld something to an axle tube, the residual oil inside the tube is going to smoke.

--Matt