PDA

View Full Version : GSR 2006

wheelnzj
07-06-2006, 12:14 AM
OK, Here it is- Grand Slam Rubicon 2006 http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Sept. 8,9 & 10, 2006.

The weekend after Labor Day.

Friday Sept. 8th- We will meet at the trail head (Loon Lake) in the morning and be on the trail by 8:00 am.
Sat. Sept. 9- On the trail.
Sunday Sept. 10- We will exit the trail (from Rubicon Springs and up Cadillac Hill).
Who wants to go?
Who wants to help?
Who cares? :yawinkle:

Min. requirements- Lift kit with 33" tires & matching spare, winch, front & rear tow points, and at least rear locker, front & rear preferred!

Please be self sufficient.

Hope to see ya on the trail,
Ron
Wheelnzj

AgitatedPancake
07-06-2006, 03:27 AM
I just got back from a full rubicon trip from loon to cadillac with 3 yota buddies of mine. I only needed a tug 2 times, about 100 feet apart (completely unavoidable, narrow route only allowing 1 line with tall rocks in the center = unhappy diffs). I only have a rear locker and the jeep did very wellon 33" MTR's with claytons 6" LA kit. The only body damage I received was scrapes (no damage to sheet metal, just paint) from bad stumps/trees that I couldnt avoid.. From what I remember, there were 3 really nasty off camber sections, and 1 tight squeeze where everyone drug the body across a tree. Within 2 hours of the end of the trail, there are (atleast now) some nasty mud spots with some decent depth water, but I still had a good 4" or so of my 33"s showing. Just giving you guys a heads up.

I am not sure I will be able to make this event, as it will be the time of school and possibly work, but we will have to see.

Cue-Ball
07-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Might be interested, my Jeep will NOT be ready, but I could ride shotgun is anyone had room.

KevinF
07-10-2006, 01:04 AM
OK, Here it is- Grand Slam Rubicon 2006 http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Sept. 8,9 & 10, 2006.
The weekend after Labor Day.

It's about 1000 miles for me to get there...so if there is a critical mass, I'm definately in. Is there a particular number that you want to keep it either above or below? Would you like me to put a note on my website to promote it, or are you trying to keep it small?

Kevin

wheelnzj
07-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the offer. If you can post it on your web site that would be great. I would like to keep the first year small till we get a feel of how things go. I hope to get something between at least 6-12 rigs going. If we can get more then that and they are all well equip. rigs with exper. drivers thats great!
I would love to see ya on the trail (its only 800 miles and 12 hrs away). :D
So far not to many people have responded. I thought there would be more interest and lots of people who would like to run the Rubicon.

SO, IF YOUR READING THIS AND WANT TO DO THE RUBICON-
PLEASE SEND ME A PM SO I CAN MAKE A LIST AND GET THINGS ROLLING!

Thanks,
Ron

KevinF
07-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the offer. If you can post it on your web site that would be great. SO, IF YOUR READING THIS AND WANT TO DO THE RUBICON-
PLEASE SEND ME A PM SO I CAN MAKE A LIST AND GET THINGS ROLLING!

Thanks,
Ron

Will do, Ron. It'll be up later today, and will link directly to this post.

<edit> Noticed on July 25th that the link hadn't made it up to my website on any of the pages but a couple (FrontPage RULEZ!!!), so I reloaded the website. Hopefully that will drive some more interest shortly </edit>

Have a great one, and let me know what I can do to assist.

Very Sincerely,
Kevin

cashflowdub
07-25-2006, 04:55 PM
where is this being Held????

jsteves
07-25-2006, 05:08 PM
seriously?:smt067

cashflowdub
07-25-2006, 05:16 PM
yes

wheelnzj
07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Rubicon- As in the Rubicon Trail!
Please tell me that you have heard of it?
World Famous Rubicon Trail in Northern California, Sierra Mountians near Lake Tahoe.
The most driven 4x4 trail in the world. Still great and always a classic.
Should be a great time and challange for all who come out.
I am also going this weekend for Jeepers Jamboree.
July 27-30, 2006.

Hope to see ya in Sept for GSR 2006!
Ron

BlaineWasHere
07-25-2006, 07:26 PM

I'm guessing your not ready to go.

MBATF
07-26-2006, 04:01 AM
AgitatedPancake: If you are going...then I am ridding shoutgun with you buddy:booya:

KevinF
07-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Ron:
A suggestion: you may want to list a bunch of items that these guys HAVE to have while on the trail. I did it about 6 years ago with 31" tires, no lockers, and 4" of lift and beat the CRAP out of my rig and had to be tugged off obstacles at least a dozen times.

Here is a suggested starting spot:

"If you dont' mind body damage, holding up the line while being pulled off of high-centering boulders all day long, and beating your Jeep senselessly, then you can probably make it with no more than at least one limited slip/locker, 32" tires, full skid plates, full rocker panel protection, and a half-dozen runs on difficult 3.5+ trails worth of experience, and front and rear tow points."

"If you want to make it a fun trip rather than a stressful one, have AT LEAST one limited-slip/locker, at least 33" tall tires, full skid plates, full rocker panel protection, front and rear tow points, and have a dozen 3.0+ trails worth of experience"

"Anyone with front and rear lockers, full skids, full rocker panel protection, and 35" tires will have no problem unless you're a horrible driver or have never done a 3.5+ trail"

Feel free to edit my experience from 6 years ago based on what you guys have seen most recently, as the trail changes monthly with Jamborees and weather and such.

-Kevin-

PS: Also, bear in mind that we're going to be camping AT LEAST once on the trail, and more likely, twice, so make sure that you have all the necessary items for camping: bags, tents, ground cloths, stoves, fresh water, utensils, etc. etc. etc.

wheelnzj
07-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for your helpfull hints Kevin.
He is right on the money!

The trail is not that bad if your set up as Kevin said.
But, It can be a long weekend if you have a poor running Jeep or are not set up for this trail.
I do have friends that have run it on min. lift, 32" tires, no lockers and lots of rocker panel damage!
I would like to make this an enjoyable weekend and not a bad expirence as it sounds like Kevin had 6 years ago.
So, With that in mind let me know if your still interested. I do have a few people who are already going, But not as many as I hoped. I hope to see more reply's.
Where are all the Bay Area Grands?
Looking forward to the Jamboree this weekend. I'll post some pic's next week.

Ron

P.S. Yes, You will need camping gear and suppies for 3 days and 2 nights on the trail.

H3RESQ
07-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Took the time off work already. I'll be there. It will be my first time to the rubicon. Might like to meet someone prior to the trail head if possible. My sister lives about an hour away so I'll be there a day or two prior to the run. Are there any soccer fields close by?:smt005

cwm
07-26-2006, 07:03 PM
I would realy like to do this so Tentatively count me in.

KevinF
07-26-2006, 07:51 PM
400+ views of the post so far, so there is definitely some interest.

Kevin

napajeep
07-26-2006, 09:36 PM
I would like to go, but don't have all of the equipment needed to make it a fun trip. Need a locker, rocker protection, winch, spare parts... Need I say more. I absolutely love the area, one of the most beautiful places I've been, just don't have a rig worthy (yet).

JohnBoulderCO
07-26-2006, 10:23 PM
400+ views of the post so far, so there is definitely some interest.

Kevin
Yes, there is.

crashfabdzj
07-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Took the time off work already. I'll be there. It will be my first time to the rubicon. Might like to meet someone prior to the trail head if possible. My sister lives about an hour away so I'll be there a day or two prior to the run. Are there any soccer fields close by?:smt005

I'm planning on coming down from Seattle. You going to drive that thing, or you tow it?

I'll be towing mine:D

H3RESQ
07-27-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm planning on coming down from Seattle. You going to drive that thing, or you tow it?

I'll be towing mine:D

I'll be towing, I only drive to local trails. I will get better milage towing with the dodge(17mpg) the Jeep(11.5mpg) is a freakin gas hog. I'll be leaving Wed. morning if you want to convoy. My sister lives in the Lincoln area so I'm going to unload around there. I hear its only an hour from the RUB(am I correct?).

crashfabdzj
07-28-2006, 02:01 AM
I'll be towing, I only drive to local trails. I will get better milage towing with the dodge(17mpg) the Jeep(11.5mpg) is a freakin gas hog. I'll be leaving Wed. morning if you want to convoy. My sister lives in the Lincoln area so I'm going to unload around there. I hear its only an hour from the RUB(am I correct?).

Sounds like a plan, your dodge bombed? I hope not, I wanna be able to keep up :popcorn:

H3RESQ
07-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a plan, your dodge bombed? I hope not, I wanna be able to keep up :popcorn:

Actually were bringing my buddy's Dodge(bone stock dually w/jake brake) You'll only have to worry about slowing down as quick as us:D

wheelnzj
07-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Hi,
I just got home late last night from the Rubicon. We had a great weekend. The trail is a little rough this year so, Please bring spare parts!
Lincoln is about 2 hrs away from the trail head at Loon Lake. I live in Roseville which is the next town over from Lincoln for those of you who want to follow us up on Friday morning.
I'll be on the road by 5:00 am.
There are plenty of hotels in the area or you can camp at Loon Lake.
If you have any questions please pm me, I'll do my best to get you an answer.

Thanks,
Ron

goldensd
08-01-2006, 12:04 AM
Damn.. I'd love to go, but I can't make it that weekend. I've been itching to get on the 'con this summer, it'll just have to be another weekend though.

Good luck and have fun....

zjmikey
08-04-2006, 06:59 PM
I would like to be "tenatively" put on the list, it just depends on my travel schedule, but would love to cruise up.

Also if anyone from So. cal wants to go up we can caravan.. or I might have a spare seat if the wife decides she doesnt want to go..

fredr1980
08-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Min. requirements- Lift kit with 33" tires & matching spare, winch, front & rear tow points, and at least rear locker, front & rear preferred!

Please be self sufficient.

Hope to see ya on the trail,
Ron
Wheelnzj

Looks like there is going to be quite a turnout. It also seems like everyone that's going are running longarms and 35's+. I would like to go since I live so close to such a great trail and have a winch (not installed yet, a-bit lazy these days), skids, rear locker, front & rear tow points, fullsize spare, a shit load of tools parts and recovery gear and I'm currently looking to buy sliders and a front locker, BUT I only have 32's on a 5" short arm lift, on a side note though I've been wheeling since '99 with three different vehicles and have wheeled on 3.5+ trails and can work on my own rig. Seems like I would hold up a group like this if I tagged along... Is there anyone going to this thing that's NOT running longarms??? Don't want to be the lone outsider ya know.

Thanks,
Fred R.

jeepnzj1
08-07-2006, 07:25 PM
man id like to go but i just sold the zj, would it really bug you guys if i brought my xj, ifso i understand,(i guess lol) let me know guys, thanks Kevin

KevinF
08-08-2006, 06:58 AM
man id like to go but i just sold the zj, would it really bug you guys if i brought my xj, ifso i understand,(i guess lol) let me know guys, thanks Kevin

This question has come up several times in the history of Grand Slams, and in the past, the qualifying indicator is whether or not the vehicle was built as a Grand Cherokee from the Factory, then it qualifies. There was only one exception to that rule that I know of, and that was to Hal and his buggy that was specifically tubed and built (and had plexiglass panels) to make it appear as if it were a Grand Cherokee SPECIFICALLY to run on the Grand Slam trails.

Ron is the guy putting the trip together, so I am going to leave it up to him. If this run is going to be a yearly trip, then I would recommend against allowing anything other than Grands. If this is, shall we call it...an "unordained" trip on the Rubicon that is just a bunch of friends going and is NOT a yearly Grand Slam, then sure...by all means, come one and come all. Purely up to Ron and the amount of time that he wants to invest in this trip and whatever future trips there may be. I am neutral either way, I can see the value of both.

Kevin

Kevin

Cue-Ball
08-08-2006, 09:36 AM

You sold it???????????:eek:

jeepnzj1
08-08-2006, 11:36 AM
yeah i sold it, id been wheelin that jeep on 31s for a long time before it went to 33s, the undercarriage was shot, plus i just burnt out on it, and i love my xj, no worries if you guys dont want an xj, just a chance to see some of my zj friends again. thanks //Kevin K.

Cue-Ball
08-08-2006, 11:38 AM
I understand the burnt out part. I am just burnt on always having something that has to get fixed or worked on. And it is not just the add on stuff, it is the normal stuff also, seems like there is always something breaking so there is not time/$$$ for the cool stuff.

Sandy R
08-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Seems like I would hold up a group like this if I tagged along... Is there anyone going to this thing that's NOT running longarms??? Don't want to be the lone outsider ya know.
Thanks,
Fred R.

I ran this trail first on 31s in 1999 and then twice after that on 33s, all three times with the stock arms. The first time my lift was about 3-1/2" on 31s and then I went up to about 5" with the 33s. I'd be more worried about the axles, driveshafts, steering boxes, and related components holding up. Momentum and traction trumps power and speed. I echo what Kevin Fell warned about beating the crap out of your undercarriage if you do not have enough lift and big enough tires.

I also agree that if it's not Grands only then it isn't a Grand Slam. It's a Rubicon run of internet friends with Jeeps. Sorry Kevin K. But I'll still be happy to run with you again in Big Bear or somewhere down here in So Cal. I had fun last fall.

KevinF
08-14-2006, 11:46 AM
I ran this trail first on 31s in 1999 and then twice after that on 33s, all three times with the stock arms. The first time my lift was about 3-1/2" on 31s and then I went up to about 5" with the 33s. I'd be more worried about the axles, driveshafts, steering boxes, and related components holding up. Momentum and traction trumps power and speed. I echo what Kevin Fell warned about beating the crap out of your undercarriage if you do not have enough lift and big enough tires.

I also agree that if it's not Grands only then it isn't a Grand Slam. It's a Rubicon run of internet friends with Jeeps. Sorry Kevin K. But I'll still be happy to run with you again in Big Bear or somewhere down here in So Cal. I had fun last fall.

Are you considering joining us, Sandy? It would be a pleasure to have you along with us!!!

Kev

Sandy R
08-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Are you considering joining us, Sandy? It would be a pleasure to have you along with us!!!

Kev

In my dreams! I really wish I had the time to run with you guys but unfortunately I don't.

wheelnzj
08-15-2006, 01:34 AM
Over 1,000 hits but I still have only heard from about 6 people.

Sandy- Sorry to hear you can't make it. I would have loved to have ya along.

Does that mean you in Kevin F.?

I just got back from Sierra Trek. Great trip!
Harder trail then the Rubicon.
The word going around was both trails are harder this year then anybody can remember.
Hope to have some pic's up from both trails soon.

Cue-Ball
08-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Man I was hoping to be able to ride shiotgun with someone but we just had a project manager quit so we are all taking up the slack so it looks like I am going to be pretty hammered until the end of the year at work. (hopefully that means a big bonus this year).

KevinF
08-21-2006, 03:23 AM
Does that mean you in Kevin F.?

I´m 95% sure that I will be along, Ron.

Kev

wheelnzj
08-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Kevin,

Glad to have ya along! :smt038

wheelnzj
08-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Pics from Jeeper's Jamboree Rubicon Trail, July 2006

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2102749960

KevinF
08-23-2006, 10:46 PM
A question and a bit of advice, as well as a favor needed:

Are we starting at Gate Keeper at Wentworth Springs, or the Loon Lake entrance?

Can anyone recommend a nice campground near the trail head that we are using for the night before?

Lastly, can my passenger and I catch a ride with someone coming back West on Hwy 50 through Pollock Pines from Lake Tahoe? If I decide to take 395 home, I will need to grab the tow rig from Pollock Pines area.

Thanks,
Kevin

AprilzWarrior
08-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Wentworth is quite a few miles before the Dam at Loon. You can camp near Loon but not on it, Gate Keeper is no more, they blew it up and its gravel now. I would get past the dam and camp near Loon just a ways in.

I have a cool map if you want it. maybe it will link up.

http://fototime.com/{4B7668FA-C80D-464E-BB91-02C8B21F6BB1}/picture.BMP

That opens it in MSPaint... should be a large file.

wheelnzj
08-24-2006, 01:44 AM
Kevin,

We will be meeting at the Loon Lake spill way. After the paved road turns to graval, you drive along the lake (lake on the right) till you make a hard left and go down hill (staging area is at the bottom) stop before you enter the granite rock and this is where we will meet 0800 friday norning.

If anyone wants to camp out on Thursday night-
Just before the end of the paved road (Road that leads into Loon Lake) on the right are some camp grounds with Toilets. The campgrounds are right next to the road leading to the trail.
The last bathroom's before hitting the trail- Not counting portapotties, which are in Rubicon Springs.
Wentworth springs is alittle far away, and Gate Keeper (or whats left of it) is on the trail.
I'll post more info soon.

Thanks,
Ron

KevinF
08-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Wentworth is quite a few miles before the Dam at Loon. You can camp near Loon but not on it, Gate Keeper is no more, they blew it up and its gravel now. I would get past the dam and camp near Loon just a ways in.

I have a cool map if you want it. maybe it will link up.

http://fototime.com/{4B7668FA-C80D-464E-BB91-02C8B21F6BB1}/picture.BMP

That opens it in MSPaint... should be a large file.

Thanks for the map, Jerod...opened just fine for me. What was the purpose in reducing Gate Keeper to nothing? Let the pussy-Jeeps through? Unreal.

KevinF
08-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Kevin,

If anyone wants to camp out on Thursday night-
Just before the end of the paved road (Road that leads into Loon Lake) on the right are some camp grounds with Toilets. The campgrounds are right next to the road leading to the trail.

Thanks,
Ron

I'll probably end up there on Thursday PM. Are there showers there? And, is anyone bringing along a warm-shower assembly that you Rubicon guys are famous for?

Kevin

AprilzWarrior
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
I'll probably end up there on Thursday PM. Are there showers there? And, is anyone bringing along a warm-shower assembly that you Rubicon guys are famous for?

Kevin

:tease:

AprilzWarrior
08-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the map, Jerod...opened just fine for me. What was the purpose in reducing Gate Keeper to nothing? Let the pussy-Jeeps through? Unreal.

Because vehicles that could not make THROUGH Gate Keeper were just driving around it destroying vegitation and creating erosion.

:(

wheelnzj
08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
That is true, The US Forest Service wanted to reduce the damage to the area around gate keeper where people were going around. They state that is was that or take the chance that the trail would get closed down.

Shower- Ha Ha, very funny Kevin. :smt005
There are many lakes to swim/wash off in and a creek at Rubicon Spings.
I don't know if anyone has a shower system for you women who like hot water.
Please bring biodegradeable soap (REI) or I have some, but not enough for everyone.
Bring plenty of baby wipes !!!

zjmike4
08-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Ron, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread till just now... I know we talked about doing this way back at GSW nice to see you got it together! My zj is nowhere near debugged enough to run the Rubicon, but if I could get a decent flight then maybe i could fly out and ride with you. Let me know and I'll check out flights, might be too late to get one though..

wheelnzj
08-25-2006, 11:07 PM
Slicker Mike!
Bring it on.
Check flights into Sacramento for Wes. (Sept. 6) latter in the afternoon or anytime on Thurs. (Sept. 7) return anytime on Mon. (Sept. 11).
Call me I'll pm you.

cahotrodboy
08-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Man, I'd love to do this but don't know if my ZJ will be ready. I have 5.5" with 32's but 3.73's with open diffs. I have 4.56's. traclock with new axles for rear and OX locker for front on order but don't think I'll get them installed in time.

Lake Tahoe is beautiful this time of year. I was there last weekend (Gardnerville) but didn't have the Jeep. Rode around the lake on my Harley which wasn't so bad!

Maybe KevinF can pick me up here in Vegas on his way through town!

KevinF
08-25-2006, 11:40 PM
:tease:

Ahhh, come on...last time I ran that trail (what, five years ago?) there were TWO Jeeps that had on-board showers in another group!!! I got a look at the one...a copper coil wrapped around the exhaust downpipe on the 4.0L on a Wrangler, a 12v. RV pump for the water, a mixer valve, and an arm that hung off his roll bar that held the shower surround deal (looked sort of like a tall circus tent). Just toss the end of your garden hose in the lake, fire up the Jeep, and you're cookin', baby!! It was cool as hell.

Kevin

wheelnzj
08-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Kevin,

That is way cool or should we say "Hot".
I look forward to seeing this set up on your Grand at GSR 2006.:screwy:

KevinF
08-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Man, I'd love to do this but don't know if my ZJ will be ready. I have 5.5" with 32's but 3.73's with open diffs. I have 4.56's. traclock with new axles for rear and OX locker for front on order but don't think I'll get them installed in time.

Maybe KevinF can pick me up here in Vegas on his way through town!

Hey there, Al. You're far better set up with that combo (if you can get the 4.56 and locker installed) than I was the first time, lol. With 5.5", 32" tires and one locker, you're going to take a bit of a beating, but it can be done. Depends on your level of trail expertise. I've never wheeled with you, but if you're a good driver on technical stuff, you should be in alright shape. I'd offer to pick you up in Sin City, but I'm headed out I-10 to the Golden State through Pismo Beach. If you don't mind sitting in the back of an extended cab Ford, meet me on your hog (or bring your rod) in Ontario on my way through!

Kevin

KevinF
08-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Kevin,

That is way cool or should we say "Hot".
I look forward to seeing this set up on your Grand at GSR 2006.:screwy:

LOL. I'm going to have enough crap to do!

cahotrodboy
08-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Hey there, Al. You're far better set up with that combo (if you can get the 4.56 and locker installed) than I was the first time, lol. With 5.5", 32" tires and one locker, you're going to take a bit of a beating, but it can be done. Depends on your level of trail expertise. I've never wheeled with you, but if you're a good driver on technical stuff, you should be in alright shape. I'd offer to pick you up in Sin City, but I'm headed out I-10 to the Golden State through Pismo Beach. If you don't mind sitting in the back of an extended cab Ford, meet me on your hog (or bring your rod) in Ontario on my way through!

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I'll try to get the gears and locker installed in time. Probably tow it behind the Avalanche so will most likely go up 95 and then cut over to 395 through Yerington to Gardnerville again and stay with friends there. It's a 450 mile trip that way. I can drive the Jeep over the mountain to the trail head from there. If not, then maybe I'll meet you in Ontario but don't think I'd want to leave one of the toys there for the weekend! :)

BTW, I left you a voice mail today. I need to order a set of bar pin eliminaters and a couple other things.

-Al

wheelnzj
08-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Yes, I know how that is Kevin. I am just glad to have ya along. Just wanted to bust your balls!:smt067

Al- Hope to see ya there. As Kevin said get your locker and gears installed and I'll meet you on the trail!

cahotrodboy
08-26-2006, 12:02 AM
For those who have not been to Tahoe, here is a link to some photos, includes my old ZJ which I sold to my friends that live up there. Also a neet little lake I found up in the mountains above Tahoe. :)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thehotrodjunkie/album?.dir=da47scd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

H3RESQ
08-26-2006, 01:25 AM
Ahhh, come on...last time I ran that trail (what, five years ago?) there were TWO Jeeps that had on-board showers in another group!!! I got a look at the one...a copper coil wrapped around the exhaust downpipe on the 4.0L on a Wrangler, a 12v. RV pump for the water, a mixer valve, and an arm that hung off his roll bar that held the shower surround deal (looked sort of like a tall circus tent). Just toss the end of your garden hose in the lake, fire up the Jeep, and you're cookin', baby!! It was cool as hell.

Kevin

Saw a similair setup just laying the cooper in the edge of a fire. If it was to hot he'd pull it out alittle, to cold push it further in the fire. The whole group washed up every evening.

AgitatedPancake
08-26-2006, 03:08 AM
On pirate i saw one guy build one that he ran coolant through before the radiator, it was awesome.

KevinF
08-30-2006, 01:38 AM
So...what's our head-count so far?

Kevin

H3RESQ
09-03-2006, 04:08 AM
:smt045 I'm ready and will be heading to Cali on Tues night or Wed morning!

wheelnzj
09-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone,

Next weekend is GSR 2006. Sept. 8-10, 2006.

Please, Please, Please send me a PM if you are planning on making it out to Northern California for the trip through the Rubicon.
We are meeting at the Loon Lake overflow/staging area on Friday morning 0800.
I would like to get a head count so that we don't leave anyone behind.
It should be a good time, nice weather and great view's.

See ya on the trail.
Ron

wheelnzj
09-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Hi,

A little info-
I am trying to get a head count, between 6 to 12 Grands so far.

Please have everything you need for 3 days & 2 nights of camping -

Full tank of gas, spare parts, tools, high lift jack, food, water, TP, beer, camping gear & tent, clothes (day 80-85, night 45-55), fire extingusher, shovel, first aid kit, CB, flash light, camera, did I say beer already, a combo of block & cube ice works best it will last 3-4 days.

If you wish to camp out, then there are camp grounds at Loon Lake.
Right before the paved road ends on the rightside- Northshore camp grounds, approx. 15 sites, vault style toilets (last toilets before the Loon Lake over spill/staging area).

Last bathrooms are at Northshore camp grounds !!!

From Hwy 50 turn up Ice House road and go approx. 15 to 17 miles.
(you will pass Wentworth Springs rd. on your left, do not turn).
Approx. 1 mile latter take the Y/split to the right.
(look for the visitor message sign) and stay on Ice House rd.
(Wentworth Springs rd. goes to the left, do not go left).
Approx. 7 mile to Loon Lake.

From Hwy 50 to Loon Lake is approx. 22-24 miles, 40-50 min. drive.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Please see post by AprilzWarrior, he has a great link for a really good map.

AprilzWarrior
09-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Take baby wipes... they come in REALLY handy as its gets dusty up there, and for OTHER things as well.

;)

Cue-Ball
09-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Have a great time guys.

Wish I could make it.

In fact I will offer up a $25 Amsoil gift certificate for the event. I know it's not as big as the other GS's but maybe one day it will be.

Wheelinzj I will let you decide who get's the G.C. just let me know when you guys get back.

Dirk

wheelnzj
09-03-2006, 10:28 PM
YES, Great tip. I always bring lots of baby and Lava wipes.
I can't post everything, nor do I wanted to post everything, just some of the common things.
Thanks for the help.

Thanks Dirk for the $25 Gift Cert. We will find a winner some how!

Ron

AgitatedPancake
09-04-2006, 04:00 AM
If you have space, bring extra tool's even if they aren't necessary for your truck. It's nice to help people with their stuff, or atleast loan them stuff to do so themselves. It makes ya feel better and in some cases can get ya some extra...refreshements =D

Also in california, litter is a bigger issue, even if there isnt more litter because of the environmentalists. If you see trash, please pick it up!

KevinF
09-04-2006, 12:46 PM
Also in california, litter is a bigger issue, even if there isnt more litter because of the environmentalists. If you see trash, please pick it up!

AMEN, Brotha!! I keep a medium-sized trash bag tied to the headrest of the driver's seat. If I see something on the trail that nature didn't leave behind, I like to grab it, and deposit it through my rear driver's side window into the bag. I'd encourage everyone else to do the same. ANY trash on ANY trail is leverage for the greenies of the world to close trails down.

</soapbox off>

Kevin

4x4 Ogaz
09-04-2006, 09:05 PM
I wish I found this forum a little earlier. I would have loved to go on this trip if I could and if my GC was ready.

I have a 2000 WJ. I am putting a 6.5" lift 35" Iroks, Dana 60 in the rear with all chromolly axles, Chromolly inner and outer in the front, Electric locker front/rear, TrailReady front Bumber, rock sliders, 231 transfer case with tera low 4:1, I will be dieing to test this thing out. I just sold my totally fixed up Rubicon to build up this GC to be just as trail worthy.

I put both the GC and the Rubicon in the paper at the same time. If the GC sold first then i was going to put the Hemi in the Rubicon. But since the Rubicon sold first I wanted to build the GC to be just as trail worthy as my rubicon was.

I had a 96 GC before that I fixed up with 33" tires and loved it. I really missed it after I sold it.

I live really close to Big Bear so if anyone plans a run up in this area I will be glad to go.

Chris

wheelnzj
09-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Yes, trash is a big deal on the Rubicon as it is on any trail. I have about 6 extra trash bags to hang on the back of your Grands. I will hand them out Friday morning.

Ron

KevinF
09-06-2006, 10:08 AM
I'm leaving this AM for Pismo Beach, staying there tonight, then on to Loon Lake Campground on Thursday night. If anyone needs to reach me before I arrive, call Cassie at 602-841-3355 and she'll get a message to me.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!!

Kevin

wheelnzj
09-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Sounds good Kevin, We will see ya Friday morning betweem 0700-0800. If you see this, have a safe drive up from So. Ca.:driving:

I just spoke with Jason and he has arrived from Wa.:D

Latest weather-
Daytime- around 80.:cool:
Nighttime- around 40.:eek:

Also, its a full moon weekend. :butthead:

cahotrodboy
09-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, looks like I'm not going to make it. :(
Won't get my lockers installed in time as I am in the middle of installing a Claytons long arm (with 9" lift!) on a customer's ZJ (my old 5.9). And there is a big car show here at the end of the month and everyone wants stuff done to their hot rods before the show so I'm swamped.

I'll definately do the next one. Also going to Moab the first week of October if anyone is interested in going up there.

AgitatedPancake
09-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Well, looks like I'm not going to make it. :(
Won't get my lockers installed in time as I am in the middle of installing a Claytons long arm (with 9" lift!) on a customer's ZJ (my old 5.9). And there is a big car show here at the end of the month and everyone wants stuff done to their hot rods before the show so I'm swamped.

I'll definately do the next one. Also going to Moab the first week of October if anyone is interested in going up there.

You should consider mid October ;)

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9206

cahotrodboy
09-12-2006, 10:13 PM
You should consider mid October ;)

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9206

Well, my sister and her husband are coming down from Denver for a 100 mile bicycle road so i'm meeting up with them (I'm bringing my mountain bike but not doing the road ride). I'll be up there the 4th through the 9th. Or maybe I'll go up the 6th and stay through the next weekend!