PDA

View Full Version : mid 90s GM 3/4 tons

ATL ZJ
06-30-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm looking at grabbing a daily driver/towrig here in the next month or so.. Money is the most restrictive factor in the decision, with me having only about 5k to spend on this.. This will be towing my Jeep on a trailer some and be my primary means of transportation, so it has to be in decent shape. Most of the Fords in my price range are high miles and have been beat on hard as work trucks. The Dodges are much harder to find and the few that do pop up are 1/2 tons.. So that leaves GM 2500s. Ideally it would be extended cab and diesel, but I haven't ruled out gassers yet. I don't have too much preference between 4x4/2wd and auto/stick either.

I've discussed it some with Matt with the problems he's had with his diesel burb on the GSW trip, but if anybody else has any experience with these trucks, let me know.. and better yet if you know of one for sale, send the contact info my way :D

OverkillZJ
06-30-2006, 12:48 AM
For the archives:

If going diesel, avoid the 6.2 diesel, it's diesel but not worth more than a gasser. The 6.5 electronically injected is a GREAT strong pulling engine, but has it's weak points... All of which I found in one trip. It was built 94-99, but in 96 or 97 began using a much better dual tstat cooling system. 94's and 95's can be retrofitted for a coupla dollars. Know that you WILL eventually need to replace the injection pump, which is about $600 and one of the most PITA jobs you can imagine. A well kept rig with a working lift pump might survive with an old pump. It's the PMD on the pumps that often cook from engine heat, so if you relocate that before cooking it you may get by. The lift pump should be rewired so that it's running whenever the vehicle is in the run position: unlike stock. Stock the lift pump only runs when there's oil pressure, problem is that the oil sending unit contacts cook due to the 4 amp pump load on 1/2 amp contacts. When that lift pump stops providing fuel to the injection pump, the injection pump must do more work, running hotter, and going bye bye just as mine did.

I could rant on for about 100 pages with what I've learned about this truck over the last 3 weeks, but through it all I'd definitely buy one again. It's a good truck, but knowledge is your power in not getting stranded like I did... Check out www.dieselplace.com (http://www.dieselplace.com) - it is a free and VAST AMOUNT of information with an absolutely excellent FAQ section...

I can't wait for this winter... considering the buggies about done... now I have a diesel tow rig to play with.... new seats.... chip.... manual boost adjuster... intake.... straight pipe 4" exhahaust... man, I bought the thing to tow the project vehicle, but I think here starts the cycle again in a whole new world :smt082 :spit:

Pearce
06-30-2006, 07:45 AM
Yeah pretty much all what Matt said. And you may find some of those older V8 diesels are no better than a newer gas motor. Which is something to keep in mind. I'd still recommend you get one with a Cummins in it though. :) http://www.dieseltruckresource.com

The second generation's do really well on mileage and I think you can get away with more alternative fuel options. Something else to consider with an older one of any brand. And I don't know what older models this begins to effect. But in 2007 they are going with Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. And supposedly that can be really bad on the older ones hoses and such.

nate
06-30-2006, 10:01 AM
If you are looking for Cummins info, www.tdr1.com

The 6.2 isn't better than a gasser. The 6.5 is "ok", nothing to write home about IMO. The electric injected ones are worse off.

To find a decent diesel for 5k, it you'll probably be stuck with a 2wd.