PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got that link to the WJ knuckle setup?

Jim311
06-29-2006, 10:39 PM
:confused:

Thinking that if I'm going to chop up this HP30 I might as well go high steer and get the sweet dub calipers at the same time.

Jim311
06-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Ok, so there used to be a link on JKS' site about what all was involved in the swap. I found one article on some XJ site that seemed to make the whole swap WAY more complicated than necessary. I found a flange spacer which should line up the wheel bearing so the caliper/rotor lines up right. Supposedly I can grind the WJ calipers to work with my 15 inch rims. JKS sells the flange as well as the relocated track bar mount (which I need anyway because the HP30 I bought is missing it) but is there anything else I need, aside from some sort of HD steering setup so I can go true high steer? Also, where can I buy these WJ knuckles at?

dads5.9
06-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Here is the link to the flange spacer from JKS. You'll need this to allow the ZJ axles to work with the WJ knuckles. http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=FAB_930&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=FABParts. Here is the link to one of the better write-ups, but he did a bunch of custom machining. http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/brakes/xj_wjbrakes03/knuckles/index.htm. Here is also some information on Kevin's site http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/jksfabparts.html.

I recently did this conversion on my ZJ and I'm very pleased with the final results, the brakes feel great, it has a tighter turning radius, and steers great. I'm not even running a steering stab at this point.

ogdak
06-30-2006, 06:21 AM
where can I buy these WJ knuckles at?

I got them from a junkyard.

Jim311
06-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I might actually do a writeup or something on this swap even though it's been done before. Unfortunately there are no junkyards around here, so finding the knuckles could be tough.

DJJordache
06-30-2006, 09:48 AM
http://www.car-part.com/
I have found some good stuff here and looking forward to the writeup

JeepinHank
06-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I might actually do a writeup or something on this swap even though it's been done before. Unfortunately there are no junkyards around here, so finding the knuckles could be tough.

I seem to remember ChrisL doing a writeup on it a long time ago, but I have no idea where the write up is. It may be on NAGCA or PBB, but its been a long time.

Jim311
06-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Well, I called Kevin (Of Kevin's Offroad) today to pick his brains for info on the WJ swap since I saw all of the parts on his website. He sells a kit with the spacer, new trackbar bracket, the new tie rod and drag link plus jamb nuts, and the new shorter trackbar. He said I'd need a new tie rod, and said that my ORGS adjustable trackbar would be too long and wouldn't be at the right angle once I cut off the factory bracket and replaced it with the new over axle bracket. Is this true? Also he said that the WJ brakes weren't necessary because once he'd disable his ABS system he could lock up his 37s on the street. The brakes on my ZJ are adequate on the street but on the trail sometimes my Jeep wants to overcome the stock brakes. So basically he recommended that I do the ORO U-Turn conversion that he sells on his site. It's almost 700 bucks, and doesn't address the brakes at all, but it's much less labor intensive. I'm still considering the WJ knuckles and brakes because it just seems to be a more beefy system. I don't really care about the labor aspect that's involved. I think I can get the knuckles and calipers for the WJ setup and basically be spending about 700 bucks or less for the WJ setup. Should I just can this whole idea and just do a heimed setup and ream my current knuckles, or is it worth it for the WJ upgrade?

dads5.9
06-30-2006, 11:13 PM
As I said above I'm very happy with the final results of the WJ knuckle conversion. It started out as a crossover steering conversion and brake upgrade on the cheap. It wasn't as cheap as I'd hoped for but the results were good. Great steering, tighter turning radius and better braking which are all good things.

Costs:
WJ Knuckles and calipers at the Junk Yard $40.00/pr
JKS Flanges $44.00/pr
Welding of Flanges to Knuckles $25.00
JKS Tie Rod & Drag Link from Kevin $147.00
Jam Nuts $30.00
WJ Tie Rod Ends $200
Explorer Sport Trac Rotors $85
Longer High Strength Bolts To attach caliper $12.00
Machine shop charge to take .015 off ZJ rotors to fit in Explorer Rotors $25
Total $608

So in the end it wasn't as cheap as expected but my ZJ will do 1000 on an RTI ramp and flex like this in Moab. (Priceless)
http://home.comcast.net/~verlans/P1010093s.jpg

LouisianaZJ
06-30-2006, 11:19 PM
www.naxja.org has some writeups i think. xjmoparman or somethin like that on JU XJ forum also did a writup

LouisianaZJ
06-30-2006, 11:27 PM
http://65.42.106.152/forums/showthread.php?t=668383&highlight=knuckle

Jim311
07-01-2006, 01:36 AM
As I said above I'm very happy with the final results of the WJ knuckle conversion. It started out as a crossover steering conversion and brake upgrade on the cheap. It wasn't as cheap as I'd hoped for but the results were good. Great steering, tighter turning radius and better braking which are all good things.

Costs:
WJ Knuckles and calipers at the Junk Yard $40.00/pr
JKS Flanges $44.00/pr
Welding of Flanges to Knuckles $25.00
JKS Tie Rod & Drag Link from Kevin $147.00
Jam Nuts $30.00
WJ Tie Rod Ends $200
Explorer Sport Trac Rotors $85
Longer High Strength Bolts To attach caliper $12.00
Total $608

So in the end it wasn't as cheap as expected but my ZJ will do 1000 on an RTI ramp and flex like this in Moab. (Priceless)
http://home.comcast.net/%7Everlans/P1010093s.jpg

Did you buy a new track bar at all? What track bar were you running before?

dads5.9
07-01-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm running the newest Clayton's LA kit and the track bar that comes with that kit. My son is running Kevin's on the same setupand they both seemto work well.

jsteves
07-01-2006, 07:34 PM
we did not change to the over the axle bracket for the trac bar...depending on setup some need it to avoid bumpsteer...that jeep has ZERO bumpsteer with the stock bracket, so why change it?

Jim311
07-01-2006, 10:51 PM
we did not change to the over the axle bracket for the trac bar...depending on setup some need it to avoid bumpsteer...that jeep has ZERO bumpsteer with the stock bracket, so why change it?

Well, the stock bracket on this HP30 I've got has been cut off. I thought you needed to change to the over axle bracket for steering clearance issues when you bring the tie rod up?

shogan
07-03-2006, 12:22 PM
I've got a set of WJ knuckles, JKS spacers, flip inserts, and Teves calipers. The knuckles have already been drilled for the inserts, but nothing has been welded yet. I was going to do the swap myself and was rounding up the parts, but I don't think I'm going to have the time now. Let me know if you're interested.

Jim311
07-03-2006, 08:22 PM
PM Sent shogan.

ILikeMud
07-03-2006, 10:05 PM

This confuses me.
You had .015 off the Explorer Rotors to fit in the WJ calipers?

dads5.9
07-03-2006, 11:32 PM
The Explorer rotors wouldn't fir over the ZJ hub. The outer edge of the hub had to be machined slightly to allow the hat of the rotor to fit over them.

I had someone recently tell me that he had used Crown Victoria rotors and they didn't have the problem. I had tried a set of Crown Vic rotors earlier but the ones that I tried were 12 1/4 in diameter instead of 12.

Jim311
07-03-2006, 11:54 PM
Hmm.. so is that what I'm going to need to do for rotors? Buy Explorer ones and have them machined?

dads5.9
07-04-2006, 12:29 AM
That was the best that I could do. It was hard to find specs on various rotors to determine if there were other options. The other popular option seems to be re-drilling the WJ rotors to 5x4.5.

ogdak
07-04-2006, 10:19 AM
The other popular option seems to be re-drilling the WJ rotors to 5x4.5.

That's wat I did, works just fine.

EMTimZJ
07-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Use '95 crown vic front rotors. Right bolt pattern, right rotor thickness, correct height of the hat, they work.

Of course the specs are not exactly the same as the WJ rotor, but think about half the stuff on our rigs right now...

-Tim

Jim311
07-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Use '95 crown vic front rotors. Right bolt pattern, right rotor thickness, correct height of the hat, they work.

Of course the specs are not exactly the same as the WJ rotor, but think about half the stuff on our rigs right now...

-Tim

My rig is going to be such a hodpodge of parts :smt082

jsteves
07-05-2006, 06:28 PM

-Tim

What brand did you use, the ones we picked up were too big diameter wise.

jsteves
07-05-2006, 06:31 PM
So basically he recommended that I do the ORO U-Turn conversion that he sells on his site.

I would PM SCAMPERZJ and ask what he thinks of the kit, I know he has it, and I know he bent the tierod a week or so ago.

Jim311
07-05-2006, 09:54 PM
I've got a set of WJ knuckles, JKS spacers, flip inserts, and Teves calipers. The knuckles have already been drilled for the inserts, but nothing has been welded yet. I was going to do the swap myself and was rounding up the parts, but I don't think I'm going to have the time now. Let me know if you're interested.

I went ahead and bought these parts from Shogan. Hopefully they'll arrive soon. For 225 bucks I doubt I could have picked up calipers, knuckles, spacers, etc. Now all I have to do is buy ball joints and the tie rod, drag link, and TREs. Then figure out what to do with the trackbar. KevinF told me that I'd need to get a new shorter track bar. I'm skeptical about that, but we'll see!

jsteves
07-05-2006, 10:00 PM
KevinF told me that I'd need to get a new shorter track bar. I'm skeptical about that, but we'll see!

You will need the shorter trac bar if you do the over axle bracket, but I would not do the bracket unless you have bad bumpsteer.

Jim311
07-05-2006, 10:20 PM
You will need the shorter trac bar if you do the over axle bracket, but I would not do the bracket unless you have bad bumpsteer.

I was under the impression that the over axle bracket would interfere with the tie rod or drag link? If it's not. I'll just weld one on in the stock location and rock it.

ILikeMud
07-05-2006, 10:33 PM
So you don't really need the bracket and shorter bar?
I've got to order my track bar next week and what to make sure I get the right one.

Can the WJ calipers fit under 15" wheels?

Jim311
07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
So you don't really need the bracket and shorter bar?
I've got to order my track bar next week and what to make sure I get the right one.

Can the WJ calipers fit under 15" wheels?

We'll find out! Supposedly the older style (2003 or older) will fit but the newer styles won't.

Maybe since there seems to be so much uncertainty about this top I'll do a writeup or something.

jsteves
07-05-2006, 11:33 PM
My dad and I did this on his 98 5.9 (as stated above) He has 15 inch wheels and they fit, we are a little uncertain as whether they are the newer or older ones as we got them from a bone yard, already pulled.

For his, we did not use the shorter trac bar, or the over the axle bracket. The bracket is supposedly used to make the trac bar and drag link more parallel, eliminating bump steer. However, we installed this setup with the Clayton's t-bar drop bracket and trac bar simply because it came with his Clayton's kit.

With that setup he has no bumpsteer (even without a steering stabalizer) and the only conflict was the tierod/tierod end hitting the stock, passenger side swaybar mount, so we welded in a JKS relocation for that.

We will be doing this one more time on my Jeep as well becuase we were very happy with the results, at that time I will do a write-up with pics, but it will most likely not be until after the summer because I don't want my Jeep to be down during peak wheeling season.

ILikeMud
07-06-2006, 09:39 AM
A write up would be awesome.

The reason I ask about the track bar is because I want to run Clayton's arms (just the arms not the kit) and the KOR track bar. I don't want to buy stuff twice.

EMTimZJ
07-06-2006, 11:06 AM
What brand did you use, the ones we picked up were too big diameter wise.

P/N TS 4886492 from Napa.

jsteves
07-06-2006, 02:31 PM
A write up would be awesome.

The reason I ask about the track bar is because I want to run Clayton's arms (just the arms not the kit) and the KOR track bar. I don't want to buy stuff twice.

I have Clayton's and the KOR track bar kit, so if it works for me, it should work for you as well.

Jim311
07-06-2006, 10:41 PM
I already have Kevin's adjustable track bars and also his frame side drop bracket. I have no bumpsteer or even steering issues really other than the fact that it's worn the fawk out. It doesn't seem like this will be all that complicated of a swap... hopefully. I'm assuming I can keep the ABS since the WJs came with it.

DJJordache
07-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm assuming I can keep the ABS since the WJs came with it. you should but I don't know how the sensor mounts on the WJ knuckles, but if it's not a straight swap of you sensor you can rig up some method to mount the sensor to pick up the signal from the tone rings...

ILikeMud
07-07-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm sure there is a way to keep the ABS working.
Not sure why you would want to though, the ABS in the ZJ is horrible.

norcaljr
07-24-2006, 12:15 AM
I just heard that Vanco is comming out with a bolt on WJ knuckle kit in the next couple of weeks. Might want to call Van or shoot him an email for more info on it.

Jim311
07-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Too late. Already got the parts and everything.

I've got everything pretty much set up, but one small set back. There's no way to run a trackbar mount in the stock location with this big ass steering. The tie rod binds against the stock trackbar mount, so I'm going to have to buy that over axle bracket and shorten my current ORGS trackbar. I think I'm just going to cut and sleeve the trackbar. Since I don't have anything to sleeve it with I may just drop it off at the welding place and have it done for me. As for the ABS, I think the WJ has a spot to mount it but it may take a little fabrication to fit it in there.

jsteves
07-24-2006, 11:52 AM
that is weird. when we did it, we only had to move the swaybar mount. cleared everything else just fine, and NO bumpsteer.

Jim311
07-24-2006, 06:37 PM
that is weird. when we did it, we only had to move the swaybar mount. cleared everything else just fine, and NO bumpsteer.

And you used the stock trackbar mount, as well as the big ass 1.25" DOM for steering, with the WJ tie rod ends? The HP30 I've got doesn't even have swaybar mounts, but I'll check into it. One thing that did scare me was how easily the ball joint on the left lower side pressed in. I think I'm going to dimple the ball joint with a punch and run a weld around the outside circle (read both these tips on Pirate4x4) to make the ball joint fit better cuz loose ball joints are scary. I'll look at the steering again but I sad there for quite a while staring at it wondering how anyone could keep that stock trackbar mount without any binding or rubbing. Did you run the tie rod over the knuckle like I am?

jsteves
07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Did you run the tie rod over the knuckle like I am?

ahhhh, and the difference. We will be flipping it, but did not have the inserts handy, so just got it on so we could go wheeling.

Jim311
07-24-2006, 10:28 PM
ahhhh, and the difference. We will be flipping it, but did not have the inserts handy, so just got it on so we could go wheeling.

It would probably clear if I did it that way. But I figured since I had the flip inserts I might as well use them!

Jim311
07-24-2006, 10:29 PM
So the over axle track bar bracket is on it's way from Kevin's. I've gotten the majority of the parts from Kevin for this and can say that I'm very pleased with the experience.

jsteves
07-25-2006, 11:01 AM
yeah, all of our stuff came from kevin, and it came quickly.

Jim311
07-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping that over axle trackbar bracket gets here soon! Last time it took less than a week from JKS. Kevin just drops ships directly from them. Hopefully it will get here before the weekend so I can swap all this shit under my Jeep this weekend and finally get it all together.

PatM
07-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Hopefully it will get here before the weekend so I can swap all this shit under my Jeep this weekend and finally get it all together.
I'm anxious to see some pics of this upgrade

zj-monster
07-26-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm anxious to see some pics of this upgrade
x2

:worthles: