PDA

View Full Version : flux vs gas?

ILikeMud
06-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Got weld up a bumper for my winch this weekend so I can go on a run next weekend.
Now I haven't bought a welder as I don't have the funds and buying one is another few weeks off. So I can either have a friend with a gas mig do it for me or I can save the gas money and rent a flue core mig welder from Home Depot and do it myself.

Which is better to do flux or mig? I really need to get this done this weekend.

DJJordache
06-26-2006, 12:55 PM
I am no pro on this by any means but some others that I have talked to say that someone with welding skills can make the same strength weld with either.... but what do I know I only slept at a Holiday Inn Select =)

Jim311
06-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Flux core is better for windy conditions and dirty metal, and it's also supposed to be better for welding the thicker stuff if you have a lower powered welder like mine. I have a 140 amp Lincoln and I don't think I'll convert it to gas any time soon. Gas is better for welding thinner stuff and will make your welds look purdy, although an experienced welder can make due with either.

ILikeMud
06-26-2006, 02:25 PM
So it's nothing on the penetration side?

I've only ever used gas and I'm fairly decent with it. Since my friend is renting a welder this weekend, I think I'll spilt with him and get this thing done.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-26-2006, 02:36 PM
the majority of my stuff is made with a flux core lincoln 135. I will convert it to gas eventually but no time soon. It does good enough work for bumpers, sliders, etc. What Jim said is pretty much right on.

ILikeMud
06-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Awesome, so I guess I'll finally have a bumper on my shit box again this weekend.

nate
06-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Flux core welding is so dirty!

I like MIG, though I bet the TIG guys say MIG is dirty

grandwheeler
06-26-2006, 04:18 PM
I personally just switched over to a new machine that is gas shielded from my Home Depot flux cord buzz box. After welding with both it is apparent that the flux does get just as good penitration but the gas does make the welds so clean and shiny:rolleyes:

My overall opinion is if you have the skill I would go with the gas... But it seems to me that flux is a bit more forgiving for starting welders.

Ryan

JeepinHank
06-26-2006, 08:17 PM
I prefer gas. If your machine has the amps, go gas. If not, go with the flux core but have your wire brush handy.

ATL ZJ
06-26-2006, 08:52 PM
My overall opinion is if you have the skill I would go with the gas... But it seems to me that flux is a bit more forgiving for starting welders.

Ryan

I would disagree there and say the opposite. For the welding beginner, it may be hard to see what the hell is going on with all the slag and smoke that flux makes.. Switching to gas not only yields a cleaner result, but a clearer view of what you're doing.

Jim311
06-26-2006, 09:10 PM
I would disagree there and say the opposite. For the welding beginner, it may be hard to see what the hell is going on with all the slag and smoke that flux makes.. Switching to gas not only yields a cleaner result, but a clearer view of what you're doing.

Yeah. Gas will make a noob's welds look better too since there's less crackling and spattering. But apparently gas cools down the weld so if you don't have the power you're better off with flux. Plus with flux core you don't have to buy the gas all the time, although regular wire for gas is less expensive which probably makes up for it. It's still nice to know that if you have wire you can weld, so for people like me who have boxes that can become underpowered when welding 1/4" stuff or thicker, flux is probably the way to go.

Pitch
06-26-2006, 10:04 PM
I have a flux machine, but have all of the stuff for a gas hookup, just no tanks. Unless penetration is an issue, I would always choose gas over flux when welding indoors. It is cleaner, saves you from nasty fumes, is much easier to control your puddle, easier to visualize your welding tip and surface metals, and makes for a much nicer finished product.

That being said, flux will do the job, but it will be a chore. Your skill level is much more apparent with flux than with MIG. The liklihood of bird shit welds goes up exponentially.

violatedppl
06-26-2006, 10:34 PM
if your worried about pen. go stick. takes alot more skill, but once you learn how to fully use stick everything else is pretty much childs play

grandwheeler
06-26-2006, 10:58 PM
if your worried about pen. go stick. takes alot more skill, but once you learn how to fully use stick everything else is pretty much childs play

I agree with that 100%. I tried stick welding once, it seemed like it burned hotter than the sun but I was never able to get my feed right which made my beeds look like SH**. I guess I need to stick to the childs pay using my MIG, And I'm cool with that:smt006

-Ryan

ILikeMud
06-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Stick is hard to pick up.
MIG has got to be the easiest way to weld, even a dumbass can learn to MIG. Only people I've seen who can't MIG are people who are scared of it for whatever reason.