PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Hunter 2

BigDaveZJ
06-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Just got the word from my dad that the original Cherry Hunter will be put up for sale soon and my mom's 97 4.0 ZJ will now see hunting rig duties. So it looks like I get to lift another ZJ. Not sure how big we're going to go yet. It's got 3.73's so 32's wouldn't be THAT bad, but it will be spending the majority of its life in the mountains where power is nice to have.

I'm currently debating on what to do with it. A budget boost and 31's would be more than ample to get the rig to where my dad wants to go, but maybe not all of the gear. My dad manages to fit more stuff in the back of a vehicle than Sandy R and I combined (read: A LOT of stuff). It MIGHT see some light towing (small ATV trailer) too. The most cost effective method to get this accomplished is find some front springs, throw them in back, and put 2" spacers up front with the stock springs. Quite the stink bug look, but once it's weighted down it would be pretty level. I had XJ coils in the back of my ZJ for a while with spacers up front and it held well with all of my tools, but a little wishy washy for towing IMO.

We'll see.

Once we get it figured out what all we're gonna be doing, we'll post it back up. And my parents might even bring it out to GSW next year . . . just as long as Ron keeps the Cock Rock away from my mom!!! :flipoff2:

BigDaveZJ
07-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Just ordered the stuff up from Kevin's Off Road (http://www.kevinsoffroad.com). Going with RE 3.5" springs, RE shocks, Kevin's Trackbar conversion, JKS rear trackbar, RE adjustable LCA's, and JKS disco's. Going to be a VERY similar setup to what I had on my ZJ before I made the switch to Clayton's, so it's a setup that I know works and it is plenty strong. Should have some install pics here soon!

CurtP
07-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Aren't those rear springs a bit soft for towing?

BigDaveZJ
07-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Aren't those rear springs a bit soft for towing?

Won't be doing any towing with it!

CurtP
07-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Well, make up your fucking mind :flipoff2:

It MIGHT see some light towing (small ATV trailer) too...but a little wishy washy for towing IMO.

Krash80
07-25-2006, 02:32 AM
And my parents might even bring it out to GSW next year . . . just as long as Ron keeps the Cock Rock away from my mom!!! :flipoff2:

Whatever dude, your mom's the one that was hitting on me! ;)

I'm thinking of making my mom come to GSW next year with her WJ...i think she'd have a blast.

OverkillZJ
07-25-2006, 04:48 AM
Whatever dude, your mom's the one that was hitting on me! ;)

I'm thinking of making my mom come to GSW next year with her WJ...i think she'd have a blast.

...so wrong on so many levels! I finally have an excuse to do summer school this year...... and work..away from you crazy fuckers!

wow...

BigDaveZJ
08-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Put the lift on it today. Was going to take some pics, but forgot, oh well.

And I was jealous the whole time. The ONLY hiccup we ran into was the nut on the top of the driver side front shock was stripped. That was a PITA, but everything else came right out, and the new stuff slid right back in. Control arm bolts which usually take a BFH, little push with my hands and they were in. It was entirely too easy. My dad's getting 31's (ooooh, harcore!) put on tomorrow.

Hurricane 4x4
08-14-2006, 09:16 AM
I have a similar setup, 96zj 4.0 w/3.73's 31"bfg's xj coils in the rear, 2.5" spacers up front.

I tow a motorcycle trailer every weekend and it sucks. The springs are a bit soft but mostly its just horribly underpowered. I get about 12mpg (with just 2 motocross bikes) because I can't keep 65 mph on the interstate without OD off.. so it spins about 3000rpm

good luck with it, take pics