PDA

View Full Version : GSW Carnage

cwm
06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
So far it looks like I bent both front lower control arm brackets pretty bad which is no suprise ass one was bent already. Also have a slight bend in the right front lower control arm.
Not sure if it was from the slight nose dive I took on Fins and things or my atemps at Dump Bump.
Not bad for such a fun weekend!!!

Cody
06-22-2006, 04:54 PM
My old rig had a seized outer wheel bearing, broken caliper bracket on the front, and a bent rim....

OverkillZJ
06-22-2006, 05:04 PM
I knew I had to make a list eventually...

Buggy:

-front drive shaft slip yoke
-bottom ends of coilovers
-1410 front 60 yoke and seal
-various bushings / hardware in front end when axle felt like doing the twist
-a/c clutch bearing which is why it cannot run right now. No, I don't use it, but it's a spacer to use the serp belt. No belt exist in the 91.25" 7 rib I need, so I'm stuck with a longer belt using a/c clutch as an idler pulley.

Trailer:

-jack destroyed from getting buggy over shelf road
-various wires ripped out when caught on rocks
-lug nuts snapped leaving remains caught in brake drums
-weld broke allowing brakes to rotate around spindle
-two trailer tie downs snapped after hitting pothole on vail pass, probably where I broke the brake weld

Truck:
-vacume pump
-a/c died on way out
-fuel lift pump, leading to failure of:
-fuel injection pump which I'm replacing now
-stuck tstat causing truck to overheat towing buggy over pass on 70, leading to fuel pump overheat / nightmare that I'm stuck in now.

Me: sanity completely gone, I want to go home.

I need a vacation from my vacation.

BigDaveZJ
06-22-2006, 05:44 PM
I knew I had to make a list eventually...

Buggy:

-front drive shaft slip yoke
-bottom ends of coilovers
-1410 front 60 yoke and seal
-various bushings / hardware in front end when axle felt like doing the twist
-a/c clutch bearing which is why it cannot run right now. No, I don't use it, but it's a spacer to use the serp belt. No belt exist in the 91.25" 7 rib I need, so I'm stuck with a longer belt using a/c clutch as an idler pulley.

Don't forget how the unibody mount for the driver side motor mount got all bent to hell too!!!

Pitch
06-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Front CV axle
Steering stabilizer

Not too bad, but I only ran 1 1/4 trails.

Snowman
06-22-2006, 07:50 PM
ARBs failed - fixed now, loose connection entering front diff.
Floppy CB Antenna - mount replaced with the heaviest four magnet roof mount I could find
Speed Control - when going up hill it switched the air from blowing to the passenger and driver to the windshield [defrost]. To restore it back requires a tap on the brakes and then hitting resume. I will start with replacing the vacuum lines.

Nothing compared to many other as GSW.

Snowman

BigDaveZJ
06-22-2006, 08:14 PM
This year was my least amount of carnage for a trip to Moab that I can remember.

The only wheeling related carnage was during this:

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/gsw06/gsw2006294.jpg

The tail light mount was already cracked, this just pulled it out from how I had it jammed back together, lol.

The only other thing that went wrong with my ZJ was the button on the end of the blinker stalk that activates the windshield washer sprayer thingies doesn't work anymore.

I did have to trim my rock sliders as my rear tires were rubbing on them as the suspension cycled and I didn't feel like lengthening all 4 rear arms, but that's not really carnage, just me having to ghetto-tune my rig since I didn't get a chance to test the LA's before I left.

Colorado 5.9
06-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Humm?

1 dead battery.

My fault I think. A few days before Moab when taking the neg. side off the battery I tweeked the terminal over enough to break the seal. It was a Optima red top. Four days later it was dead,dead,dead.:D

Broke one side of the front pass. side upper control arm bracket, axle end.

My fault again. Going too fast on the High Speed Mesa. I think I got the 5.9 up to 50 mph at a few places. Them dips come up way to fast going that speed.:D

A real good scrape on the rear pass corner. TR bummper. Dropped in way too fast/hard at the Crack.

BigDaveZJ
06-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Broke one side of the front pass. side upper control arm bracket, axle end.

My fault again. Going too fast on the High Speed Mesa. I think I got the 5.9 up to 50 mph at a few places. Them dips come up way to fast going that speed.:D

Try doing it at 70 like Matt and I did last year!!!!!!

Kraqa
06-22-2006, 08:58 PM
bent lower control arm. (2x2x.250 HSS)

the original 1978 alternator went on my motor.

And i dont' knwo how was i was goign (no speedo) but at the bottom of rusty nail i was pinned out in 4th gear in my rig. and i was flyin'!!

Colorado 5.9
06-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Try doing it at 70 like Matt and I did last year!!!!!!

Well, that would bannana both "STOCK" upper control arms.:smt064

AgitatedPancake
06-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Hydraulic Fan Solenoid
Power Steering Pump (because of hardwired solenoid)
a set of brake pads and a rotor.

In the end it caused me to drive around moab with no PS and no cooling for about a day, and then drive from utah to california with no cooling fan. It made Ted and I do a midnight run through the states nonstop to get home before it warmed up. We had to make 5 or 6 half hour stops on the way home to let the engine cool down goin over the hills. Though we did find that doing 85mph on flat pavement not regeared with 33"s and 3.73s gives the optimal cooling because the engine RPMs are so low...though you also cant see deer going that fast *cough*

ArloGuthroJeep
06-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Damn OverkillZJ that is some really depressing carnage there:(

Ramon snapped one of my trackbar bolts:D I consider myself carnage free:booya:

Krash80
06-23-2006, 02:24 AM
My rig held up fairly well this year. I just destroyed a 37" BFG and I bent the shit out of a 2x2x1/4" wall lower control arm apparently from slamming it into a rock.

I had fun fixing a lot of shit on other peoples' jeeps though...we had some pretty cool trail fixes this year too.

SLO MO
06-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Rear driveshaft, t-case yoke and I'm about to go into the t-case tommorrow.

XLSLC
06-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Steering box, one ear snapped and one bolt sheared. Curtis said the bolt was cracked almost halfway through prior to breaking. Trying to get a replacement now so I can return the spare to Corey.

Random body damage on rockers and rear unibody. meh.

BigDaveZJ
06-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Steering box, one ear snapped and one bolt sheared. Curtis said the bolt was cracked almost halfway through prior to breaking. Trying to get a replacement now so I can return the spare to Corey.

Random body damage on rockers and rear unibody. meh.

Scott,
Have you looked into upgrading to the 4-bolt PSC? I'm sure the other Scott has already given you the complete rundown on them, just wanted to be sure.

XLSLC
06-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Scott,
Have you looked into upgrading to the 4-bolt PSC? I'm sure the other Scott has already given you the complete rundown on them, just wanted to be sure.

Indeed, don't feel like dropping the extra dough, i'll just get a brace. Thanks for the heads up

BigDaveZJ
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Indeed, don't feel like dropping the extra dough, i'll just get a brace. Thanks for the heads up

You have the V8 right? I've got the metal to make a brace, you just need to get a clamp from MORE. Or you can get one pre-made from Kevin.

Kraqa
06-23-2006, 10:25 PM
or get a waggy box for 30$ from a wrecker.

dads5.9
06-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Came down hard on my right slider, deforming the right rocker panel and pushing up the B pillar causing a very nice one inch gap between my front and rear doors at top. The good new is that I don't think that I have bent the main unibody.

The first body shop that I went to wouldn't even look at the problem because of the lift and suspension modifications. I posted on Colorado4x4 and found a frame shop that will apparently work on modified rigs. I just have to get it down there and get it fixed.

In the mean time I just have to carry a roll of silver duct tape to keep the rain from coming in. Good news it that it matches my platinum paint very well.

It did have me thinking about getting a beater Jeep, so that I wouldn't be sad when bad things happen to the 5.9. The kids just wouldn't support it becoming a 'poser' Jeep, and my wife wasn't wild about more money going into another 'beater' Jeep. So I guess that I just don't have a choice, fix it and continue to wheel it hard and then fix it again. Just stuck in the vicious cycle.

Matt, Just hang in there you'll be back for a better GSW. The buggy looks awesone, and with a little work I'm sure that you'll have it working just as well.

cwm
06-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Well after I took my axel apart I found that the ring gear had part of 1 tooth broke off wierd no other damage just a tooth broke off.

Not that big of deal as I went with a high pinion replacement and will have to buy a new ring and pinion anyway but I had hoped to sell it on EBay.

SLO MO
06-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Got my t-case apart today. It appears that the differential unit (not the planetary) spit out a couple of thrust washers and burned itself up. Have to wait until Monday to find a replacement part.

Texas ZJ1
06-25-2006, 08:58 AM
My rear axle bearing went out cutting a 1/16th inch deep, 3.4 to 1 inch wide grove in the axle. New axle, and I'm back on the road.

Hunter

grandwheeler
07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Came down hard on my right slider, deforming the right rocker panel and pushing up the B pillar causing a very nice one inch gap between my front and rear doors at top. The good new is that I don't think that I have bent the main unibody.

The first body shop that I went to wouldn't even look at the problem because of the lift and suspension modifications. I posted on Colorado4x4 and found a frame shop that will apparently work on modified rigs. I just have to get it down there and get it fixed.

While I was looking at the gap in my passenger door I was just thinking about this tweaked unibody which happened out in Moab this year. Has anyone heared what Vernon (spelling) did to his ZJ as of yet?:smt102

Thanks,
Ryan

jsteves
07-10-2006, 10:25 AM
That is Verlan, my dad. So far he has left it, taking it to a shop would mean it will be down for up to a week, which does not work in the summer. Once the wheeling season is over, he is taking it to a shop in Denver.

KevinF
07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
or get a waggy box for 30$ from a wrecker.

I broke an ear off my factory box on Pritchett two years ago (the second bolt sheared on mine as well, so I used the good bolt in the good ear and was able to get it back to the hotel). I got a rebuilt/resealed Waggy box for like $180 from Meridian Auto in San Diego. They bored the box an extra 1/8" for me, complete with a factory 12.7:1 ratio (rather than the slow 14:1 ratios that people seem to be getting without knowing) with four ears. I just drilled a hole above the "frame" into the fender well area, used a 2-and-a-something inch sleeve, and then welded a plate to the outside wheel well area to bolster the head. After that and the steering box brace, it's never moved again.

-Kevin-

SLO MO
08-07-2006, 01:23 PM
So I have the t-case all sorted out now and.....
That u-joint blowing ended up screwing my rear gear set. Something got run through the teeth. There is a tight spot in the gears when you turn the tires while the back is up on jack stands. There are marks on a couple of teeth. I can only see one side of the pinion teeth and they look fine, can't see the other side though.
So I guess its a new gear set this week. I'll take some pics when I get it all disassembled. Piss me off. Guess I need to learn how to drive;).