PDA

View Full Version : Decision time on upgraded steering...

Jim311
06-14-2006, 10:59 PM
So.. just how tough is the stock V8 steering? Is mine even worth putting new TREs on? I'm considering one of the bolt on steering systems like Currie or even the Rusty's (not the OTK setup) but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just stick with the stock V8 steering. Thoughts? No time to fab anything, and I don't want to put a whole buttload of money into this D30 anyway.

Jim311
06-14-2006, 11:04 PM
This is the Rusty's steering I'm considering. A friend of mine runs it and swears by it.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=SC-250&Category_Code=ste

zj-monster
06-14-2006, 11:14 PM
Is $240 worth putting out for your D30 right now or going to the junk yard and ripping one out for a lot less? Personally, if I were gonna get rid of my D30 anytime soon, I'd just go to the yard.

Jim311
06-14-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm not buying any junkyard TREs. I daily drive my rig so I'm not going to half ass it. I've got an upcoming wheeling trip as well.. plus the junkyards here blow. You'd be lucky to find any sort of Jeep, much less the specific parts I need. I found an HP30 I'll probably install eventually, but that will be a ways off.

Nick
06-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I just ordered the currie setup tonight i figured im gonna be keeping my d30 for a pretty long time and i DD mine so i want it done right and not have to worry about it so thats why i bought it so now my steering will be set for a long time :driving:

LouisianaZJ
06-15-2006, 12:20 AM
http://www.searchers4wd.com/home.htm

could always sleeve or retube it or something if you need to go wider later

BigDaveZJ
06-15-2006, 12:28 AM
The Currie setup is about the best bolt-on you can get. I run it, and Matt did as well until he buggified his ZJ, neither of us have ANY complaints about it. Stronger than stock and it bolts on, pretty simple.

OverkillZJ
06-15-2006, 01:48 AM
Currie

Cue-Ball
06-15-2006, 02:54 AM
I have seen the Currie first hand and my god I was blown away with how beefy it was. If I was not doing a high steer on my HP30 set up I would go Currie hands down.

Have a buddy who recently ditched his Rusty's steering as it was a POS, actually make that 2 friends of mine.

Jim311
06-15-2006, 08:04 AM
http://www.searchers4wd.com/home.htm

could always sleeve or retube it or something if you need to go wider later

That looks similar to the Rusty's OTK steering that everyone bashed because it's double sheer on one side. I still like the looks of it.. it seems bomb proof, and the price is good. Do you run it? Is there any slop in it? Like I said, I daily drive my rig, so I can't be replacing heims once a week.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I've got a Big Daddy Offroad tie rod that is 1.25 DOM 1/4 wall and it has held up great. I've never had a problem bending the drag link though. $55 for a tie rod and decent TRE's is a little more affordable than $400 for Currie stuff.

JeepinHank
06-15-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't know how I feel about the inverted y steering setup. I mean it works, but there's gotta be something better out there. I kinda like the looks of the searchers setup.

Skyline
06-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I had the Rusty's conversion on my stock height ZJ for about a week. I now have a VERY tiny case of DW, (I still have a few parts in the front end that aren't brand new but most are new. Everything but the right side ball joints, both hubs, and the steering box are within 5000 miles old.) The Rusty's tie rod set up gave me BIG TIME DW. Also, at stock height, the SS bracket hits the track bar, and is dangerously close to the oil pan. I think with a bit of a lift the clearance problem would disappear. There is no question that this is a VERY beefy part, but I just don't know if a ZJ can work right on the street with this geometry.

After I finish replacing the remainder of parts in my front end, and do my lift, I plan on trying the Rusty's set up again.

OverkillZJ
06-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Rusty's setup sucks, but it will not "give you" death wobble. It might be less forgiving of other problems, but nothing will "give you" death wobble.

Skyline
06-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Rusty's setup sucks, but it will not "give you" death wobble. It might be less forgiving of other problems, but nothing will "give you" death wobble.

Agreed, but my Jeep is completely safe with the stock set up (the SS can silence the tiny DW); but it was a like a broken shopping cart with the Rusty's set up. I know I have some minor issues that need to be worked out. But if we wheel hard, (especially those of you with big tires and low backspacing) don't we always have hubs or ball joints that are on a rapid path to destruction? A steering set up that magnifies problems may not be the best thing. I did a back to back test, with fresh alignments on both set ups, and I know this Rusty's set up magnifies problems a huge amount.

LouisianaZJ
06-15-2006, 01:55 PM
That looks similar to the Rusty's OTK steering that everyone bashed because it's double sheer on one side. I still like the looks of it.. it seems bomb proof, and the price is good. Do you run it? Is there any slop in it? Like I said, I daily drive my rig, so I can't be replacing heims once a week.

like 3-4 people i know in my club run it. i have not heard or seen any problems.

he now sells a bracket to add a stock SS to the draglink. also i would add in a backup retaining device for the bolts like a second nut or castle nut, etc

double shear is good. single shaer is the bad one. if you are really concerned about it, he could probably add another tab to the drivers side or something

MUDDTRACKS
06-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Jim311 remember what happen to Bruce's currie drag link I would just sleeve the tierod you have. i have 3 tie rods from 6 cylinder's one with a hi lift bar on it already from last tellico trip.

I dont need them so just come pick them up

zj-monster
06-15-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm not buying any junkyard TREs.
I hear ya, sorry for the lame-ass junkyard response. Just figured it was a cheap fix for a short time.

I'd do the Currie set up also.

Jim311
06-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Jim311 remember what happen to Bruce's currie drag link I would just sleeve the tierod you have. i have 3 tie rods from 6 cylinder's one with a hi lift bar on it already from last tellico trip.

I dont need them so just come pick them up

The V8 steering is different than the 6 cylinders though. Or are you saying I should sleeve it with a tie rod from a 6 cylinder?

I'm really considering that Salter's setup. Wonder how long it would take to get to me...

DJJordache
06-15-2006, 11:22 PM
I read some writeup some where that did a review of the rusty's on a TJ and they ran it for a little while and then pulled it back off b/c they didn't like the way it acted with lots of bump steer...
I really like the searchers setup and If I had an extra 300 I'd try it!
you should get the searchers and do a review for us, yeah thats it:D

ILikeMud
06-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Rusty's sucks, think we call know that.

If your keeping your d30 for a long time (or swapping to a hp d30) then get the currie stuff.

Jim311
06-16-2006, 08:00 AM
I read some writeup some where that did a review of the rusty's on a TJ and they ran it for a little while and then pulled it back off b/c they didn't like the way it acted with lots of bump steer...
I really like the searchers setup and If I had an extra 300 I'd try it!
you should get the searchers and do a review for us, yeah thats it:D

I wonder if they'd hook me up with a discounted price or something if I promised to do a review/writeup?

spykosshow
06-16-2006, 08:41 AM
http://bigdaddyoffroad.biz/xcart/product.php?productid=16133&cat=248&page=1

Is that what you've got, E?

nate
06-16-2006, 09:38 AM
I am happy with my homebuilt setup using Chevy 1/2 ton TREs. Been running it for over a year now.

DCHZJ
06-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey the Currie setup is great. HUGE compaired to the V8 steering..
No Bumpsteer so far.

If you want my old V8 steering let me know. Basicly it will be shipping or i am going to trash it. I will be posting it for free soon.

Jim311
06-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey the Currie setup is great. HUGE compaired to the V8 steering..
No Bumpsteer so far.

If you want my old V8 steering let me know. Basicly it will be shipping or i am going to trash it. I will be posting it for free soon.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to replace it this time with something with some real beef! I emailed Searcher's 4x4 about their steering setup. Maybe I'll test it for them. :smt113

Tommy
06-16-2006, 10:34 PM
I have a rusty's conversion sitting soemwhere up at the shop. I will give you a good deal on it if you want it. I wasn't impressed, I ran it for like a month and ditched it for my stock setup when I was on short arms and 35's...

Jim311
06-17-2006, 10:34 AM
I have a rusty's conversion sitting soemwhere up at the shop. I will give you a good deal on it if you want it. I wasn't impressed, I ran it for like a month and ditched it for my stock setup when I was on short arms and 35's...

How much do you want for it? Which conversion is it? It's not the over the knuckle one is it? Its the one that just immitates the stock setup but gives you a solid end to end tie rod?

Tommy
06-17-2006, 11:46 AM
I will get u some pics. It will probably just be shipping if anything..... I will be out of town till next friday on business. When I get back I can take some pics... Plus I need to find it, it has been upstairs at my dads shop for like 2 years..

Jim311
06-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I will get u some pics. It will probably just be shipping if anything..... I will be out of town till next friday on business. When I get back I can take some pics... Plus I need to find it, it has been upstairs at my dads shop for like 2 years..

That would be *awesome*

My steering is worn the fuck out so anything to replace the old crap will be much appreciated!

zjinprogress
06-22-2006, 07:59 PM
a few guys around here on xj's havent had that much luck with the searchers stuff. they had issues with the rod ends being maxed out and tie rods being too short. But they were both over 5 or so inches so you might be safe with 4.5 ish....

Mike

LouisianaZJ
06-22-2006, 08:58 PM
yeah i talked to phil at searchers about maxing it out at 5"+ (it is made for TJ's which usually are not lifted much more than 4.5")
he told me he would run a DPA or he could put another bend in it at the top or something.

zjinprogress
06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Thats kinda what i figured, but often times if you add the dpa, you can get bumpsteer. I was kinda of hoping that one of my friends would get frustrated with it and sell it to me, cause i'm at 3 ish and he's over 6 id say.

Mike

Jim311
07-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Decided to go with the WJ knuckle swap instead.

Varkyl
07-21-2006, 04:04 PM
I am running the Searcher's conversion. And so far am very pleased with the results. The ZJ it is installed on has about 6.5" worth of Clayton LA lift with a Clayton's DPA. Searcher's drag link was 2" too short. My overall impression of the kit is good. But after having some trouble with UPS then not getting calls back from Phil or Mike at Searcher's I probably won't do business with them again.

DJJordache
07-23-2006, 10:10 AM
here is one more option I just found the one ton steering already made up
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNST&Category_Code=S6

but it is $255, arn't all the TREs like 120, how much is the DOM? and I'm not paying for a $75 reamer to be used once!

what if the draglink on this setup had another bend it it to get a better angle on the pitman TRE? I'm thinkin about making one of these setups b/c I wouldn't have to relocate the trackbar bracket. This setup still allows lock to lock steering right?

Cue-Ball
07-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Yes the TRE's are about $100-125+/-. I think I got the DOM shiped to me for about $60-75 IIRC.

I got different ends as I am doing a true crossover setup with a Tera Hi-steer knuckle.

DJJordache
07-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I got different ends as I am doing a true crossover setup with a Tera Hi-steer knuckle.
that tera knuckle is MONEY:bling:but you should take a look at this thread about this knuckle where they had to mod it to get gear box stroke right:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492261

Cue-Ball
07-23-2006, 11:33 AM
I picked up my knuckle for like $100 from a guy who changed his mind.

LouisianaZJ
07-23-2006, 05:54 PM
did you get that knuckle from that guy with the big black ZJ with the PVC quarter panel/door skids/guards who parted his junk out about a yr ago. screen name RuffyTuffy or something like that

Cue-Ball
07-23-2006, 06:01 PM
No I found it on ebay quite some time ago and then negotiated a deal for him to end the auction early.

norcaljr
07-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Vanco - http://www.vancopbs.com is comming out with what looks to be a complete bolt on WJ knuckle upgrade kit. Production should be starting in a week or so.

Cue-Ball
07-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Vanco - http://www.vancopbs.com is comming out with what looks to be a complete bolt on WJ knuckle upgrade kit. Production should be starting in a week or so.

Hey there Jim,

I was reading about this over at JU a few weeks ago. It sounded pretty sweet.

Varkyl
07-26-2006, 03:03 PM

I just spoke to them and it is NOT a WJ knuckle. It is a XJ/TJ/ZJ knuckle that is modified to accept a two-piston caliper and larger rotor. But still sounds like a great upgrade. Now the down side it is supposed to be $600+.

zj-monster
07-26-2006, 05:42 PM
It is a XJ/TJ/ZJ knuckle that is modified to accept a two-piston caliper and larger rotor.
w00t...thank goodness I didn't start tearing my front axle apart! I was thinking that while i'm working on the motor, I might as well do the WJ knucle upgrade.

Thanx for that info. :smt003

5.9 ANDY
03-22-2008, 09:39 PM
searched and decided to bring back a dead thread,

i currently have the JCR 1 ton OTK steering kit, but i do not yet have it installed.

i am also runnig the WJ brakes on my ZJ.

so here is the question, can i take the drag link off the JCR steering, make it longer, then run the drag link down to the knuckle off the WJ for crossover steering, i know that i will have to move my sway bar mount and SS mount, and over the axle TB mount, wich i have.... But other than that, will it work???

thanks.

BLK97ZJ
03-23-2008, 11:07 PM
like this?
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/hornet1224/WJ%20steering%20conv%201%20ton%20flip/IMG_5407.jpg

5.9 ANDY
03-23-2008, 11:43 PM
yes, exactly like that, what did you do with the sway bar mounts? and the coil buckets?

that looks great, any more pics from different view?

BLK97ZJ
03-24-2008, 03:02 AM
I just got it finished with it yesterday. No swaybar as of yet, and i had to cut the crap out of the perches and modify the jks tb mount. From the measurements i got off the stock axle i think i lost about 6 degrees of turning in each direction. But i used 1.5 inch tube as opposed to the 1.25 inch that JCR uses. http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/hornet1224/WJ%20steering%20conv%201%20ton%20flip/

5.9 ANDY
03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
are you pleased with the results?? any issues other than the lost few * of steering, and i am not shure that my smaller OD would make a difference, its only 1/8" difference on each side...but then again i guess every little bit makes a difference.

i am at the point where it is still and option to just to the JCR OTK system... and i would like to keep my front swaybar as i like to drive the jeep on weekends and i use it in the rare occasion that i get a date, so i think she would like a sway bar as well.:)

are you gona mess around and try to re do the sway bar mounts? if you are, ill follow what you do for the most part.

BTW, yout jeep looks sweet!

BLK97ZJ
03-24-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm working on the steering stabilizer now and the first attempt failed. It hits the TB so idk what to do next. And the sway bar i haven't looked at it yet, hopfully i can do the alignment tommorow but i'm kinda afriad to drive it without a SS. I'm going outside to try again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

5.9 ANDY
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
any luck with the SS or sway bar brackets?? i have been looking at my front axle brackets.... i dont know how one could do a sway bay bracket with crossover on a ZJ with the WJ nuckels.

BLK97ZJ
03-31-2008, 09:18 PM
I haven't tried again on the SS. It drives fine with no SS so its not a high priority. I tossed it on the alignment rack i got the toe to stock and I set the caster to 4.7+ as opposed to the spec of 7, because my front DS angle is looking alittle steep. I checked lock to lock and its going to be tricky to make the swaybar brackets. I have a stock WJ front swarbar sitting around I might see if that'll work. I'll let you know if it works out.

5.9 ANDY
04-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I haven't tried again on the SS. It drives fine with no SS so its not a high priority. I tossed it on the alignment rack i got the toe to stock and I set the caster to 4.7+ as opposed to the spec of 7, because my front DS angle is looking alittle steep. I checked lock to lock and its going to be tricky to make the swaybar brackets. I have a stock WJ front swarbar sitting around I might see if that'll work. I'll let you know if it works out.

i was looking at my friends WJ, and noticed the different sway bar mounting and brackets and such... i was thinking i might try to get that to work......so far my only idea is having the sway bar mount on the axe side come up from the opposite side of the coil bucket. so far that is my only idea as to getting the sway bar to work...what do you think of that??

Jim311
04-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Holy old ass thread, I haven't been posting much lately, haha.

BLK97ZJ
04-05-2008, 11:46 PM
I haven't worked on the front yet. I'm in the middle of changing the lca and shock mounts on the rear axle. Oh and a stock WJ front swaybar won't fit in the rear of my ZJ @ 6.5" lift.

5.9 ANDY
04-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I haven't worked on the front yet. I'm in the middle of changing the lca and shock mounts on the rear axle. Oh and a stock WJ front swaybar won't fit in the rear of my ZJ @ 6.5" lift.

i was looking at my friends WJ, it looks like to use the WJ front sway bar on the front of a ZJ you would have to move the swaybar farther back, towards the axle.

BLK97ZJ
04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't know when i'll be trying to make swaybar brackets because i totally fucked up the back now... Its going to be at least a week till i can get it straightened out.:(

5.9 ANDY
04-06-2008, 08:52 PM
what did you do to the rear????

i can tell you from experience, having no rear sway bar makes nearly no difference, i dont have one now, and i dont even notice it is not there.

BLK97ZJ
04-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I moved the shock mounts up level with the axle tube. That wasn't enough, so i decided to move the lca mounts up too. Now the axle is 2.5" further back and the DS is too short and the coils are all out of alignment. So now i have to make an SYE and have the DS changed again and move the coil mounts on the body. And pull the cargo interior so when i weld i don't lite my truck on fire.

And not having sway bar in the front is the most noticeable thing you could do to affect the ride. It actually gets a little hairy at times.

jsteves
04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I moved the shock mounts up level with the axle tube. That wasn't enough, so i decided to move the lca mounts up too. Now the axle is 2.5" further back and the DS is too short and the coils are all out of alignment. So now i have to make an SYE and have the DS changed again and move the coil mounts on the body. And pull the cargo interior so when i weld i don't lite my truck on fire.

Or just adj. the arms.:smt067

BLK97ZJ
04-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Wow I never thought of that.... So let me guess masters in engineering? :rolleyes:
BTW I only gained 3/8" by SHORTENING them ALL the way.

5.9 ANDY
04-07-2008, 02:41 AM
I

And not having sway bar in the front is the most noticeable thing you could do to affect the ride. It actually gets a little hairy at times.

yea, having no bar up front suck ass, but i was talking about the rear bar.

5.9 ANDY
04-27-2008, 11:46 AM
did you ever finish your rear axle and get around to the front??

BLK97ZJ
04-28-2008, 12:36 AM
LoL nope still sitting waiting on the driveshaft, should be here tommorow. As soon as i get the SYE and the pinion set up, i'm getting the front swaybar in.
I'll let you know ASAP.

5.9 ANDY
05-15-2008, 04:42 PM
made any progress yet?

crexor
05-22-2008, 12:48 AM
yea, having no bar up front suck ass, but i was talking about the rear bar.

Ive had no front sway bar for 3 years now, took about a week to get used to, but its fine, and its fun to freak people out, my one friend calls it "the rocking chair effect", also every time i take my car in to get tires balanced etc, I always get the lecture of how dangerous/unsafe it is bla bla. It makes life interesting.

BLK97ZJ
05-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Ive had no front sway bar for 3 years now, took about a week to get used to, but its fine, and its fun to freak people out, my one friend calls it "the rocking chair effect", also every time i take my car in to get tires balanced etc, I always get the lecture of how dangerous/unsafe it is bla bla. It makes life interesting.

Maybe a stock truck isn't bad, but lifted @4.5 inches it gets hairy around the on and off ramps. And if i could figure out how to put the swaybar back in in the front i'd do it in a heart beat.

5.9 ANDY
05-22-2008, 01:09 AM
^ so i take it you havent figurd out how to make the front bar work??

BLK97ZJ
05-22-2008, 01:41 PM
nope haven't had time yet i just finished school, so i should have some time now.

crexor
05-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Maybe a stock truck isn't bad, but lifted @4.5 inches it gets hairy around the on and off ramps. And if i could figure out how to put the swaybar back in in the front i'd do it in a heart beat.

lol I have the RE 4.5" springs and 2" spacers, its definitely hairy, but fun as hell, especially making tires chirp around corners while getting one off the ground, climbing up light posts,etc, oh well, to each his own. but, i dont go over 45-50 mph, and if im turning, and not playing around, trust me, i go <=5 mph.

BLK97ZJ
05-22-2008, 11:44 PM
lol I have the RE 4.5" springs and 2" spacers, its definitely hairy, but fun as hell, especially making tires chirp around corners while getting one off the ground, climbing up light posts,etc, oh well, to each his own. but, i dont go over 45-50 mph, and if im turning, and not playing around, trust me, i go <=5 mph.

There is ZERO way i'd ever try to 3 wheel it without a front swaybar.

crexor
05-23-2008, 12:16 AM
LOL, i have a friend whos 2 wheeled his TJ on 37"s, not that im recommending it hahaha.

BigDaveZJ
05-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Climbing up light posts? Are you retarded????

rtingdds
05-23-2008, 03:46 AM
I got a custom steering brace with the Currie Steering already, do I still need a stronger steering box to run my 35"? Any opinion? suggestions?

5.9 ANDY
05-23-2008, 08:04 PM
i think it would be a good thing to put on the list, just keep it in mind, but it shouldnt be a HUGE problem.

rtingdds
06-02-2008, 02:44 AM
what will be a good box to buy?

BLK97ZJ
06-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Here's my photobucket link i have pics of how i got the swaybar back in the jeep. your going to have to shorten one of your endlinks.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b361/hornet1224/WJ%20steering%20conv%201%20ton%20flip/

5.9 ANDY
06-04-2008, 01:42 AM
ok, well....now that i know it is doo able, i will feel allot more comfortable in doing this. thanks.

5.9 ANDY
06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
im looking at your pics... what do you think of running a cross bar from the top of the mount to "C" on the axle, for some extra added strength.- you get what im talking about?

do you think those mounts are strong enough to stand up to some good on-raod stress from turning and such?

o yea... how long is your drag link?? i need to make mine longer, but im not sure how much.

looking at the pics, it looks like you made the passenger side mount about 4" higher than the driver side, i understand why it has to be so high, but i dont understand why you didnt make the driver side mount the same height....

5.9 ANDY
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
what will be a good box to buy?

a PS box for J20 truck is the best without getting something like an AGR or PCS box.

BLK97ZJ
07-17-2008, 10:53 PM
I know what u mean about the extra piece, and i figured that since the driver side is 1/2 thick and the pass side is like 3/8 i didn't feel the need for the braces and i didn't feel comfortable welding to the cast. and for the length idk i didn't see the need to make the driverside as high. i'll get a measurement tomorrow of the draglink. AS far as pitman arms go right now i have a TJ arm on it and i use the bottom hole on the TB bracket (a very modified JKS). i just picked up an XJ arm so i'll see if that and the top hole work out, oh and i can't figure out a spot to put the SS. So u might have to do the same thing with the pitman arms because the ZJ on is too much drop and it won't be parallel with the TB. My psc box is turning to crap more and more everyday. And after all said and done i lost turning radius because the tirerod will hits the coil buckets and i cut as much off as possible, but its is much higher and i'm not worried about it when i go wheelin anymore. If i could do it again i would still do the WJ knuckles but i would make the currie steering work, but when u add it all up i spent a shit load more time and energy into this then its worth because when u think about its its still only a D30

5.9 ANDY
07-20-2008, 05:58 PM
how much turning radius did you loose?

and i WILL need a new pitman arm, because the ZJ one has too much drop? , o yeay:(