PDA

View Full Version : Bag those Tires or Regular Wheel weights?

2jeepsforus
06-07-2006, 10:40 AM
I just got my 33" Trxus' in the mail yesterday, I was debating internally bagging them (to lessen the chance of knocking off wheel weights while playing in the mud) For those of you not familiar with internal bags, basically it just balances the wheel when the tire starts to spin. This method is very common with Big trucks/trailers. My question is has anyone had any bad experiences with doing this, any help would be appreciated. I've never really heard of someone doing this on a DD, so I want to make sure I'm not going to ruin my tires.

Thanks,
Dave

nate
06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Are you talking about tire patches or beads? I've never heard of "bags" being used.

ATL ZJ
06-07-2006, 07:08 PM
I daily drive on internally balanced tires.. But my definition of a daily driver isn't exactly the norm.. Just throw some airsoft pellets in there and call it good. Follow this chart for weight based on tire size: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

and "bags" are for lowriders :flipoff2:

2jeepsforus
06-07-2006, 11:55 PM
My bad... I should of said little baby beads, so everyone could of been really confused. :smt116

Thanks for the linky ATL.... your my new hero :cool:

Jim311
06-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Airsoft beads suck, don't use them. I run the dynabeads. They're heavier and denser than plastic airsoft pellets, and easier to install.

2jeepsforus
06-08-2006, 09:59 AM
The stuff the garage is using is similiar to sand, even though its still a bead. I'm not sure what kind it is :eek:

ATL ZJ
06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Airsoft beads suck, don't use them. I run the dynabeads. They're heavier and denser than plastic airsoft pellets, and easier to install.

So I take it you tried the airsoft pellets and didn't like them?

nate
06-08-2006, 10:08 PM
You got tires in the mail?

JeepinHank
06-09-2006, 09:34 AM

I've been pretty happy with the airsoft pellets. Admittedly, you do have to break the bead on the tire to install them while you can install the dynabeads through the valve stems. Personally, I don't see a difference beyond that. yeah the beads are denser, but as long as you have the same amount of weight, I don't see why one would be any better than the other.

Zjeeper
06-09-2006, 01:48 PM
ive heard of people using water too? or am i just an idiot and this is completely unrelated

Ken L
06-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Do the airsoft pellets/dynabeads cause any issues when you air down?

JeepinHank
06-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Do the airsoft pellets/dynabeads cause any issues when you air down?

No issues at all. With the airsoft pellets, I ended up with about 2,500 pellets in each tire, which really isn't that many. Like 2jeepsforus said, I just got tired of knocking off wheel weights every time I went wheeling, so I figured it was worth the experiment with the pellets. They seem to be working pretty good. I haven't really put all that many miles on the tires since it isn't my daily driver any more, but the tires ride pretty good for 35's.

Edit: If you're talking about clogging up the valve stem, the airsoft pellets are too big to clog it up, and the dynabeads use a special filtered valve stem to prevent the problem.

Ken L
06-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Edit: If you're talking about clogging up the valve stem, the airsoft pellets are too big to clog it up, and the dynabeads use a special filtered valve stem to prevent the problem.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Thanks. May be just the thing for me to do, since my Swampers are balanced "close" but not totally right on, and I have a son that probably has enough airsoft pellets sitting around that I can, um, er, appropriate since I paid for them in the first place!

2jeepsforus
06-11-2006, 11:54 PM
You got tires in the mail?

Yeah the USPS guy was having a hell of a time trying to get them to fit in my mailbox......

I ordered the tires from Tyres International Located in Ohio. I placed my order Monday after 12 and got the tires Tuesday at 11 am. I highly recommend them, one of the cheapest prices I found also.

Dave

DJJordache
06-12-2006, 01:11 AM
here is a bunch of info from pirate on others using internal balancing:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473356

Jim311
06-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I've been pretty happy with the airsoft pellets. Admittedly, you do have to break the bead on the tire to install them while you can install the dynabeads through the valve stems. Personally, I don't see a difference beyond that. yeah the beads are denser, but as long as you have the same amount of weight, I don't see why one would be any better than the other.

They are denser so they are able to concentrate themselves better in the areas that they need to be in. Plus they aren't made of plastic and won't disentegrate over time.

RollinBallsDeep
06-15-2006, 09:36 PM
From what I know of the sand like "weights" they put in semi's is that when it gets moist inside the "weights" start to clump up. Just my 2 cents

nate
06-16-2006, 09:42 AM
I have dynabeads in my TSLs and they don't work wouth a crap.

ProjectZJOM617T
08-12-2006, 07:06 PM
I will be running a michelin tire.. They are more consistent balance wise..

I wonder if you put enough slime tire sealer in the tires if it would work?

Only one way to tell... Mount, slime then run on a balancer....

J B
08-14-2006, 10:50 AM
I will be running a michelin tire.. They are more consistent balance wise..

another big factor with wheel balance is the wheel itself. The factory aluminum wheels are much better balanced than steelies are. My 33" MTRs balanced up beautifully. One of them needed 1.25 oz, and the other 4 were less.

fsjtrash
10-08-2007, 04:17 AM
It's called "powder" balancing, and it's shit. Good for the semi's, bad for you. The powder sticks to your lining on the inside of your tire, therefor setting it off balance. Also, they help to increase fucked up shoulder wear. Go with sticky weights. They have ones designed for wheels that see alot of mud. Not sure where to get them, we just had them when I worked at Kal-Tire up until about a month ago. I run them and my wheels have never gone out of balance, nor have a lost a weight.

Cody
10-08-2007, 12:32 PM
ive heard of people using water too? or am i just an idiot and this is completely unrelated

water is for balancing. It's for lowering the COG of the vehicle. It also takes much of the bounce out of tires and helps the conform to rock better.

You need beef drivetrain to run water. I've heard the difference is amazing though.

Nate: I've ordered tires online before and had them shipped. I got my maxxis tires shipped to my door for cheaper than I could have gone and bought them at a distributor.

fsjtrash
10-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Water? Have you ever seen the amount of dirt that gets inside your tire after even a month? You'd have clumps of mud inside your tire. And what about when it's get's cold? You'd have a chunk of ice in there.

BigDaveZJ
10-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Water? Have you ever seen the amount of dirt that gets inside your tire after even a month? You'd have clumps of mud inside your tire. And what about when it's get's cold? You'd have a chunk of ice in there.

Seriously??? Water is used in buggies and trail rigs, not DD's.

JohnBoulderCO
10-08-2007, 03:52 PM
I tried the dynobeads. They seemed to work at first, then didn't work. When I took the tires off to sell them, the beads were clumped up and no longer able to move around.

Cody
10-08-2007, 05:00 PM

True, but most $50-100k comp buggies aren't stored in places where they are going to freeze and they only keep a set of tires for a couple comps at best. I'm not sure how much dust would get in the tire--can't imagine much with beadlocks and such--but either way the rockcrawl crowd generally stays the fuck away from mud.

Besides, there is no go-fast with water. You're not going to be generating sustained wheel spin to cross mud. this is a proven trick for hardcore rockcrawling and I'm not sure that it would cross over to more redneck forms of 4 wheelin ;)

cLAYH
10-08-2007, 11:13 PM
For the 36" IROKS I had I went to Walmart and for under $20 I bought a small weigh scale and a box of metal BBs. Used around 10oz per wheel. Worked good, no clumping or rusting. When I took the tire off for repair I used a magnet to collect them and them reused them.

fsjtrash
10-09-2007, 03:09 AM
Weird. I suppose it turns out different down south..
I know it doesn't work for shit up here though, lol

alteredxj
10-09-2007, 01:58 PM
i put 10oz of airsoft bbs in my 33 12.50 swamper boggers mounted on mrw beedlocks it drives fine untill 35 to 40 than starts to shake once it starts it gets worse untill you allmost stop. My question is with the heavy boggers and heavy wheels should i run more bbs?

Cody
10-09-2007, 04:03 PM
i put 10oz of airsoft bbs in my 33 12.50 swamper boggers mounted on mrw beedlocks it drives fine untill 35 to 40 than starts to shake once it starts it gets worse untill you allmost stop. My question is with the heavy boggers and heavy wheels should i run more bbs?

I think if it were me I would run more tow rig.

alteredxj
10-10-2007, 01:07 PM
i do have a tow rig and a new trailer but it would be nice to be able to drive the 3 miles to town when i want

rccolacc
10-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I would bet that the tires are mounted just slightly out of round since you have the beadlocks on the rims. Depending on how out of round it is, adding more bb's in your tires isn't going to help much.
Hope this helps.
-RC

alteredxj
10-10-2007, 08:30 PM
yes i have suspected the tires of being out of round and have tried every thing to center them with no luck. i would love new tires but dont have the funds now. i saw this post and thought it might help:smt071

93ZeeJ
10-26-2007, 01:35 AM
why not just use sticky weights further in on the wheel like right here where i circled in red

http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/4339/48190737pe8.jpg