PDA

View Full Version : Oh Shit!

Metalman
06-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Topping off fluids yesterday and found 2 pieces of metal on the front diff magnet. Flat skinny pieces about 3/4" long. Pieces from a bearing? Hopefully can get to the bottom of this today with only 2 days left til GSW.

fr3db3ar
06-06-2006, 08:35 AM
good thing that job should only take a couple hours

JohnBoulderCO
06-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Flat and skinny? Do they have a curve to them? Might be pieces of the shims for the carrier bearings. Have you done any recent work to the front diff?

OverkillZJ
06-06-2006, 08:49 AM
How skinny...

JohnBoulderCO
06-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Take a pic and post it up!

ArloGuthroJeep
06-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Damn all of you guys get up way too early.

Metalman
06-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Maybe about 1/32" thick or less and yes they have a curve to them. Never done any work on the front diff before.

nate
06-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Sounds like a shim. I'd pull the carrier out and see what's getting chewed up. You might be lucking and just have to put a new shim in there.

Snowman
06-06-2006, 10:24 AM
Better that you found it now and can fix it before you hit the road. We would like to see you at GSW.

JUST DON'T PULL A SANDY!!!

Metalman
06-06-2006, 10:40 AM
One of the axle seals has been leaking pretty bad for awhile. Don't know if it's related or not.

Metalman
06-06-2006, 11:57 AM
It's a bad pinion bearing.

JohnBoulderCO
06-06-2006, 12:10 PM
How do you know? Did you take it apart?

Metalman
06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Jeep dealer. Didn't have time to look at it myself.

JohnBoulderCO
06-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Change the axle seals while they have it apart. Good to hear you will still make GSW.

Snowman
06-06-2006, 01:35 PM
It's a bad pinion bearing.

At least you will get it fixed before you bend it. I will bring the one I bent to GSW for grins.

Metalman
06-06-2006, 01:53 PM
I was supposed to be fabbing my spring retainers and now I have to deal with this shit. $1129.57 for new pinion and side bearings and axle seals. Anyone got some KY jelly for my asshole? Well, it's a small price to pay for GSW.

nate
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Mwhahahaha. Are you smoking crack to pay that? You could have bought a few front axles for that price! The seals are around $30 and the bearings are about $20 each. So you have $70-80 in parts at most. No way it took $1000 of labor.

BMRisko
06-06-2006, 02:32 PM
I was supposed to be fabbing my spring retainers and now I have to deal with this shit. $1129.57 for new pinion and side bearings and axle seals. Anyone got some KY jelly for my asshole? Well, it's a small price to pay for GSW.

OMFG! The dealer could smell you coming a mile away. Sorry, but LOL!

Metalman
06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
I guess I could have cancelled GSW and went axle shopping instead. And it's not nice to laugh at someone else's misfortunes.

Snowman
06-06-2006, 03:37 PM
I guess I could have cancelled GSW and went axle shopping instead.

Yes, and then if you did a less then perfect job you would have been out that money and the cost of another axle and ... you would have still missed GSW. You made the right decision. Some assholes [or should I say "ass-wholes"] do not realize that not all of us have all the equipment, time, and know how to do every job. You are down to the wire and you made a command decision.

I had the ARBs put in by a shop and the 3.73 replaced with 4.10s. When I took it to Tierra del Sol for a shakedown before GSSW, the pinion gear got bent and I ended up missing GSSW. The shop repaired and paid for everything but I got stuck with paying for a replacement axle housing and its installation costs [$1,000] and most of the towing bill [$425]. I was not happy about the situation, the cost, and missing GSSW, but I do not have the time, location, the tools and know how to do the work in the first place. [In fact it was Sandy_R who recommended that I find a shop to do the work in the first place because of the difficulty in working on differentials. {read => some of the experienced people with the skills will pass on differentials.}] In the end the shop put in a lot of extras at no cost.

And it's not nice to laugh at someone else's misfortunes.

I agree. I am bringing the bent pinion to GSW. Would you like shove it ups Nate's arse without K-Y jelly?

Meet me at GSW and we can have some beers.:drinkers:

I can see it now => Snowman meets Metalman!

and Nate says "I never had it so good!":eek:

zjmike4
06-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Glad you got it fixed so we can still run some dunes........

nate
06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah assholes. If you don't like what I say, don't read it.

I'll be blunt... Spending $1100 on a crappy axle to fix something fairly simple is plain stupid.

I didn't say you had to do it yourself. An independant shop could have done it for less.... why bring it to the dealer, of all places?

Snowman
06-06-2006, 04:55 PM

I'll be blunt... Spending $1100 on a crappy axle to fix something fairly simple is plain stupid.

I didn't say you had to do it yourself. An independant shop could have done it for less.... why bring it to the dealer, of all places?

I agree that the dealer is not the best place to go. Frankly, the dealers don't know Jack about offroading and modifications. However with the lack of time remaining Metalman probably did not have many options left.

I would have liked to change to a 8.8 but it would have cost a lot more and they were trying to get me ready for GSSW.

If you can't stand the heat - get out of the kitchen.:D

nate
06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Oh I have no problem being called an asshole. I've heard it enough times (probably why I'm still single... hahaha).

Snowman
06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Oh I have no problem being called an asshole. I've heard it enough times (probably why I'm still single... hahaha).

Actually there is nothing wrong with being an asshole. Women love assholes. Google "Tom Leykis" or "Leykis 101" - you will enjoy it.

Metalman
06-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the support Snowman, you hit the nail on the head. Don't have a clue how to rebuild a diff. The local shops where I live charge just as much if not more than the dealer and take 4 times as long to do the job. Parts are $450, labor $600 (6 hours) by the way. This is also my daily driver, so missing work would be more costly to me than paying someone to do it in a day. And Nate, if you owned your own shop you would be dry-fucking your customers in the ass just like everybody else does to make a buck.

JohnBoulderCO
06-06-2006, 06:42 PM
And Nate, if you owned your own shop you would be dry-fucking your customers in the ass just like everybody else does to make a buck.
His shop could always run a special of the day, "A courtesy reach around, no extra charge." :eek:

nate
06-06-2006, 07:47 PM
No I wouldn't... and there are shops that don't. It's kind of funny you admit to taking it in the ass though.

What exactly did they change?
If they did a R&P and install kit, using factory parts I can see the $450 in parts.

Hell I would have sold you the front axle under my Jeep, delivered it in Moab and helped install it for $1100.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-06-2006, 08:13 PM
There is a shop up in Michigan that does gear install for $160 AND has a good reputation...so not all shops rip you off, just most:D

BMRisko
06-06-2006, 09:48 PM
I guess I could have cancelled GSW and went axle shopping instead. And it's not nice to laugh at someone else's misfortunes.

I'm not laughing at your misfortune. Parts break...I'm laughing at the fact that you paid what you did. I don't really call that misfortune. No one forced you to pay over $1k to fix a couple bearings and seals.

BigDaveZJ
06-06-2006, 09:54 PM
C'mon guys, it's the last minute before GSW. It's one of those "don't give a fawk what it costs just get it done so I can go" type things. Matt's dumped how much fawking money into a ton of different things and you're breakin metalman's balls because he dropped some coin on a last minute repair so he can make it to GSW?

Snowman
06-06-2006, 10:11 PM
C'mon guys, it's the last minute before GSW. It's one of those "don't give a fawk what it costs just get it done so I can go" type things. Matt's dumped how much fawking money into a ton of different things and you're breakin metalman's balls because he dropped some coin on a last minute repair so he can make it to GSW?
And he is man enough to say what is costs without crying in his beer.

How about not reaming him a new asshole?

SCAMPER ZJ
06-06-2006, 10:11 PM
. . .I would have sold you the front axle under my Jeep, delivered it in Moab and helped install it for $1100.

Nate, depending on what axle you have, I might take you up on that! :D

Cue-Ball
06-06-2006, 11:42 PM
How about not reaming him a new asshole?

I am sure his is already hurting enough.

Metalman
06-07-2006, 01:25 PM
The diff is all done. Now it's plan B for the spring retainers cause no time for plan A. Then I have to pack, might be a little late getting there tommorrow.

BigDaveZJ
06-07-2006, 05:04 PM
The diff is all done. Now it's plan B for the spring retainers cause no time for plan A. Then I have to pack, might be a little late getting there tommorrow.

Were you heading south on 25 around Arapahoe this morning around 9:30? Saw a W that looked a like lot yours as I was heading north.

Mtn WJ
06-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Curt

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You show true dedication for getting to GSW. Call my mobile when you hit the road and perhaps we can meet on 70 if its convinient. Keith

Metalman
06-08-2006, 07:39 AM
Were you heading south on 25 around Arapahoe this morning around 9:30? Saw a W that looked a like lot yours as I was heading north.
Wasn't me, 9:30 I was at work. And WTF is wrong with me, I'm at work right now instead of home packing. Was up late last night putting in longer spring retainers (hope they work) and other wrenching stuff so I have alot of shit to do yet before I can leave today and hopefully make the meet & greet.

Metalman
06-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Curt

Sorry to hear about your troubles. You show true dedication for getting to GSW. Call my mobile when you hit the road and perhaps we can meet on 70 if its convinient. Keith
Probably not going to get out of here til 1 or 2, I'll call you when when I hit I-70.

nate
06-08-2006, 11:21 AM
If someone gets stuck on the road around the Idaho area, let me know and I'll come and help if needed.

Nate

Matt
06-09-2006, 12:51 AM
I throw in the towel! It's 11:00 on Thur night, I have steering issues, shocks are wrong lengths, far from packed, rear drive shaft problems; as of now I would be getting out there until Sat at best.... aghhhh! :mad: As of now turning the wheels and any moderate flex will break steering parts. Not worth the drive knowing breakage is certain.

Sorry guys, have fun and take a ton of picks! I guess I'm almost a ready a year early for GSW 07. :(

If anyone wants my tickets to the buffet, they're yours, two tickets on me! :)