PDA

View Full Version : Options for replacing broken parts at GSW?

ArloGuthroJeep
06-04-2006, 06:38 PM
What kind of options are there for replacing broken parts at GSW?

If I break a part I am more interested in replacing it with a quality aftermarket part instead of replacing it with the same which will break again.

Specifically my front DS, if it goes bye-bye do any of the participating vendors carry a double cardian/u-joint replacement? Tom Woods going to bring stuff down there for spares for sale or I heard he might even have a shop in moab?

Snowman
06-04-2006, 06:56 PM
For those of you who have never been to Moab before, you will find at the south end of Moab one of the finest collections of offroading shops and repair places. Please understand that their businesses and reputations as well as that of Moab depend on people like us having a positive experience. They want to be known as the place to go for the best offroading experience possible. Be assured that they will have whatever trail tested equipment that we need. Many times, I have been told stories about repair shops staying open late repairing a rig or rebuilding a part, if necessary, to help offroaders be back on the trail the next day if at all possible. I do not have any direct experience, but their reputations proceed them.

zjmike4
06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Tom Woods has a shop in Moab, I've had nothing but great experience with his shop, his son has even worked on things for me on his day off for free. Anywhere else I would HIGHLY recommend Moab 4x4 Outpost. Steve is one of the best guys around and will usually help you out with anything, he's even offered to take off my tranny and ship it to CO and put it back on for free. I left my jeep there for a month and a half when the tranny went out there and he absolutely would not accept ANY payment for the storage. Also had numerous weld jobs done there.

ArloGuthroJeep
06-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Well thats good to hear, hopefully I end up replacing my DW voluntairly though:D

Pitch
06-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Specifically my front DS, if it goes bye-bye do any of the participating vendors carry a double cardian/u-joint replacement? Tom Woods going to bring stuff down there for spares for sale or I heard he might even have a shop in moab?

I broke parts of my driveline on Cliffhanger last year, and my first stop after the trail was Moab Driveline. Conveniently, Tom Woods was filling in for his son that day, and immediately went to work on repairs. I began disassembly in the parking lot, and Tom had a new TC yoke, repaired the double cardon end of my shaft, and even offered a new rear TC half to make up for the "injury" to mine in a matter of minutes.

Even if yours is not an emergent repair, the businesses in Moab that cater to the offroad community do just that. Heck, even if you just wanted to upgrade your d-shaft, stop in Thursday, measure it up, and it will most likely be ready to go later that day or Friday.

BigDaveZJ
06-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Also, if it's something that you break on the trail and need something to get you off of the trail, most of us have enough spare parts in our rigs to damn near build a whole nother rig. Either that or we do stupid crazy shit like drive a tow rig in with a 16' trailer to pull someone's rig off the trail.

Cody
06-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Either that or we do stupid crazy shit like drive a tow rig in with a 16' trailer to pull someone's rig off the trail.

you calling me stupid? Thats it we're fighting.

zjmike4
06-04-2006, 11:41 PM
rofl

Mtn WJ
06-05-2006, 03:53 PM
I will have some WJ parts if it gets down to it. But like said above Tom Wood and 4x4 Outpost are great shops with good people.

I was able to change a rear axle shaft at Tom woods and when I broke my spare the next day I stored my WJ at the Outpost for 2 weeks until I was able to arrange going back to get it. The Outpost carries parts for ARBs and such as well which is hard to find at shops sometimes.

The local auto parts stores have decent inventory too.