PDA

View Full Version : weather

BigDaveZJ
06-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know it is supposed to be rather hot in Moab during GSW. High 90's each day. This is by no means untolerable heat in Moab, as it is a very dry heat.

The key thing though is to make sure you are prepared for it. Bring LOTS AND LOT AND LOTS of water. If you think have enough, bring a little more. In 02, we had temps around 110 each day and I drank 20ish half liter bottles of water and still was not fully hydrated. Granted, I'm a little larger than most, but that should give you an idea of what it takes to stay hyrdrated out there.

The other area of concern is the vehicles. At slow speeds most people's AC won't do a damn thing. AND it's harsh on the motor temps. Be sure to keep an eye on your temp gauges as we're wheeling. DO NOT hesitate to tell your trail leaders if your engine is getting warm. It's much easier to solve the problem before it gets too hot than after it's overheated. Make sure you bring extra water and coolant for your vehicle too.

[/PSA]

EDIT: Make sure to have plenty of sunblock too. Sunburn SUCKS!!

Snowman
06-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanx. Muchly appreciated.

XLSLC
06-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Good idea on the PSA Dave. I bring a 5-gallon jug on the trail, you really can never have too much. I've been out so many times and encountered hikers in sandals with one nalgene for two people, etc... dumbasses. oh, and x2 on the sunblock. I was there 2 weeks ago and got 2nd degree burns on my neck after just one day of biking.

PassRunnerZJ
06-02-2006, 06:36 PM
x3 on the sunscreen SPF30 or better and lots of water. Also, hats, sunglasses, and bring a long sleeve shirt or two, light colored. Be sure to put sunscreen on early in the day, the driver's meeting is a good time, especially on the kids. Two days of sunburned driver and/or passengers is no fun.

BMRisko
06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Good idea on the PSA Dave. I bring a 5-gallon jug on the trail, you really can never have too much. I've been out so many times and encountered hikers in sandals with one nalgene for two people, etc... dumbasses. oh, and x2 on the sunblock. I was there 2 weeks ago and got 2nd degree burns on my neck after just one day of biking.

I love when people look at me like I'm an idiot when I hike in sandals. If I want to hike in my Chacos, you better believe that I'm going to do it!

JohnBoulderCO
06-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Good point! Sunscreen and water, lot's of water. Numerous times I have had mountain bikers come up to me, begging for some water, which I was happy to give them.

One time, at Moab band camp, this guy from Florida, in his brand new Rubicon, lost, with no map, thirsty, it was getting dark...well...that's a story to re-tell over a beer sometime.

Texas ZJ1
06-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Wasn't that at last year'sn Band Camp?

Hunter

Colorado 5.9
06-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Oh there was SOOOOO much more than just the lost guy.:D

chadjans
06-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Just like Arizona just a different state.

JohnBoulderCO
06-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Naw, Moab is warm, AZ is hot. I grew up in AZ!

Ahhh, the good 'ol days, Phoenix in August, when monsoons still happened, a nice 115+ day, then it starts to rain when the sun sets, cools down to a balmy 95F, running the AC 24 hours a day in the house, trying to sleep, sweating on the sheets.....then the power goes out.:D

AgitatedPancake
06-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Naw, Moab is warm, AZ is hot. I grew up in AZ!

Ahhh, the good 'ol days, Phoenix in August, when monsoosns still happened, a nice 115+ day, then it starts to rain when the sun sets, cools down to a balmy 95F, running the AC 24 hours a day in the house, trying to sleep, sweating on the sheets.....then the power goes out.:D

Ironically, that just gave me the shivers.:eek::rolleyes:

Colorado 5.9
06-05-2006, 03:58 AM
I think it was around 113 in Phoenix yesterday. A tad early for that kinda heat there just like our 93

SCAMPER ZJ
06-05-2006, 09:50 PM
[/PSA]

Prostate Specific Antigen?? OH, Public Service Announcement!! :D Gatorade is good to have too, you lose more than just water out in the heat.

nate
06-06-2006, 12:43 AM
I dunno, but it's fawking hot here. My thermometer says it hit 107* today and a low of 72*.