PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Grand

nate
06-02-2006, 09:12 AM
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060601/FREE/60601006/1003/newsletter06&refsect=newsletter06

DCHZJ
06-02-2006, 10:19 AM
about damn time must be the same as the Europe ones.
A co worker in Switzerland has one i rode in it over there and it is very nice and fast enough and other than knowing it was a Diesel, you could not tell by the sound. it was super quiet.
Knowing DC they will only put this in the Limited and charge a bundle for it.

CurtP
06-02-2006, 08:30 PM
It's too bad they're 10 years too late...

kevman
07-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the reason that we haven't had diesel's over here for all these years the fact that our diesel standards were lower than those in Europe? I just heard that effective sometime later this year all of our diesel will be to the same spec as what they run in Europe meaning that all of the European diesel's are on their way over here. From a manufactures stand point it made no sence to design a new diesel that would run on our cruddy diesel when it was just a matter of time before the standards changed. Chrysler having picked up all of the Mercedes diesels will have a huge advantage over the likes of Ford and GM because they've already got the vehicles with the diesels in them that they just have to bring over. Likewise Toyota, Saab, etc with an abundance of European diesels just have to bring them over. In the next couple years we are going to see ALOT of european diesel models make their way over now that we've got diesel that their engines will run on.

nate
07-28-2006, 01:13 AM
Our diesel fuel standards are just now coming close to where European diesel is. What your talking about is sulphur content. Which, right now is low sulphur diesel (LSD) at 500ppm, and is going to ultra low (ulsd) at 15ppm

ILikeMud
07-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Diesel is much more widely accepted in Europe though. There are several models with diesel engines as an option, where as over here it's just a handful.

Here in North America people are too use to their gas guzzling SUVs to actually go out and buy a fuel effectant diesel car for communiting.
That and the diesel cars we have are WAY over priced. Bring out something like a VW Polo (or new Rabbit) with a diesel and make it cheap, I think people would buy it.

kevman
07-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Up untill now you couldn't simply bring over a VW Polo because the engine wouldn't run on our diesel with the higher sulphur content. Now that we're on the way to meeting european standards they will simply switch them to left hand drive and bring them over. Their are alot of people aware of the advantages of diesel and its not the love of gas guzzling SUV's that is keeping diesel vehicles away because those same SUV's can be had with a more powerful and efficient diesel engine in Europe.

KeepItCrunk
08-05-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm still on the lookout for one, but zjs' were available with deisels since back in the early 90's. Just about everywhere but the usa could get that deisel. From what i found out, its a 2.5 turbo deisel. It was mated to either a AX15 or an auto, obviously, but i dont know wether it was a 42re, aw4 or what, im looking tho. When doin my 5 speed swap stuff for a 2.5 kept coming up and i asked him to look into it and jsut about everything is available from jeep to do the swap if you wanted it that bad... i want it bad but im not that rich lol. It sounds pretty high, but it was in the low 30's for fuel economy. It may be km or soemthing, seeing as it wasn't available in america as i said. jsut .02 worth.

ProjectZJOM617T
08-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Look at the username... I am doing to a ZJ what a few landcruiser guys have done.. Swap in a mercedes I5 diesel from the W123 body style.

Get an I5 mercedes diesel and adapt it for installation in a jeep.

The mercedes engine OM617 is IMHO the engine of choice...

30+ MPG here I come on WVO fuel...