PDA

View Full Version : Disabling ZJ Security?

Jeepinc1
06-01-2006, 10:09 PM
I've got a '93 ZJ Grand Wagoneer with what I am 99% sure is a factory alarm. The local dealer I called says he doesnt think they put them in there but my 93 Grand Cherokee manual says different. Anyway...the security feature does nothing but make me angry. I dont think it functions properly and the vehicle has a small short/battery problem so it is always going off. I would like to disable it permanantly as I dont have a keyless entry for it anyway but doing searches on the internet I have not found much about doing this. Most say you cant do it and i've been messing around a bit on my own and have found that sometimes with fuses 6 and 7 pulled it disarms and everything starts and works fine. Other times it will start when I turn it over but immediately stop when I let off and then I have to put the fuses back in.

I did find a post on one forum where a guy send that you can get a "factory alarm bypass module" from local aftermarket alarm stores. I called 3 in the area and they had no idea what I was talking about. Otherwise I read you need to replace the computer...I have a complete spare 94 ZJ but I dont really know which parts need to be replaced and would much prefer to bypass this one.

Anyone ever done this before or have a good wire diagram(Chiltons is frickin worthless) that shows what wires I would need to bypass?

DJJordache
06-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm pretty sure on the 93-95 you can just yank the alarm brain which is in the glove box under that cover plate on the bottom of the glove box.
so I'd put the fuses back in and try yanking the brain:D

Jeepinc1
06-01-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm pretty sure I tried that also...fuses in but brain unpluged...and it did the same thing where it starts as i'm cranking but once I let off it dies.

Wilder
08-05-2006, 05:18 PM
There isn't a way to remove the brain, There is however a way to disable it. I ran into this issue when my 94 Grand cherokee would just randomly go off, and getting up in the middle of the night wasn't fun..

The Alarm brain is located in the dash, just below the glove box.. to get to it, you have to remove the passenger side of the dash, This involved removing the top cap, glove box, center bezel, so on and so forth. Once all cleared out of the way, the alarm box is just bolted to the dash bracing.

I found the easiest way was to run the "door lock trigger" to ground. I believe it's the purple wire. This will put the alarm in a permanent "disarm" mode.

Since then i have found a website that details disableing it without removing the whole dash.

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Security
Factory Disarm Purple/Yellow (-) Driver's Kick Panel Black Connector

Just run the "factory disarm" to ground in the kick panel. Much easier then messing around taking the dash apart.

PatM
08-05-2006, 06:46 PM
I am experiencing similar things,with my 93, but I haven't cared too much until I saw this thread.

Currently I have no remotes and the fuse for the power locks is pulled. The alarm does not operate, but I have no power locks.

I installed the fuse for the power locks and they do work, but locking the doors with the power lock switch enables the alarm. Which wouldn't be such a big deal, because unlocking with a key from the driver door or liftgate is suppsed to disable the alarm. BUT on mine the driver door lock switch is not functioning, so I have to disable it from the liftgate. Annoying!

I was content without power locks, but now that you mention the "factory disarm" I might give that a try. Will certianly let you know how it turns out.

RiPPiNiTuP7
08-05-2006, 09:56 PM
like already said, tap into the purple/yellow wire in the drivers kick panel and take it to a ground. this will give the factory alarm a permanent disarm signal and it will never give you a problem again.