PDA

View Full Version : Extending stock control arms

1996cc
05-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, it's ghetto, booty fab, whatever you want to call it. But can it be done effectively?

I'm lifting my XJ 6"s with new coils, ZJ rear lower control arms for the front lowers, and need to extend the uppers 1/2". I'm thinking of taking some extra junkyard arms and cutting off the axle end. Then taking that and putting it over the top of the existing arms, with 1/2" extending past the end, and welding it together (stitch weld around edges and plug weld old bolt hole.) Hopefully that is understandable.

What do you think?

BigDaveZJ
05-25-2006, 12:34 PM
You're in Oregon right? K, good. Then I don't have to worry about your booty fabtastic shit falling apart in front of me on the highway. Get real arms.

1996cc
05-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Guys here are making their own arms all the time. So where do you draw the line? Where is the transition from "You're going to kill someone on the highway!!!!" to "that's some sweet custom fab!!!"???

It's easy to quickly dismiss someone's idea as stupid, death-trap, etc... There are forums full of people that can do that. But lets bounce some ideas of each other and look into other options. How did Clayton's get his start? Buying someone else's product? No, he made his own!!

DCHZJ
05-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Ya guys make their own....but they are stronger than stock.
also 90% of the people who make their own arms are making longarms not short arms and hell not cutting and rewelding stock arms.

glad you on the otherside of the country from me.

Damn

Go looks for some good used adjustable arms.

CurtP
05-25-2006, 02:56 PM
6" on SA's? :smt104

Shouldn't you be posting that shit on JU or JF :confused:

Please don't post pics when you're done.

Cue-Ball
05-25-2006, 03:27 PM
I am all for people making their own arms and what not, but taking a stamped steel (thin at that) and cutting and rewelding them to be longer is plain unsafe. If you were going to go to the extent to make them beefy enough for the task than you are better off just building some new ones from scratch. I mean if you have the tools and skill to lengthen a stock arm than you should be plenty capable of building a new arm.

ogdak
05-25-2006, 03:29 PM
I'll second that

TrojanMan
05-25-2006, 04:56 PM
i'll stab you in the jaw.:smt035

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-25-2006, 04:56 PM
make some out of DOM. Probably will be easier anyway than trying to extend the stockers.

BigDaveZJ
05-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I am all for people making their own arms and what not, but taking a stamped steel (thin at that) and cutting and rewelding them to be longer is plain unsafe. If you were going to go to the extent to make them beefy enough for the task than you are better off just building some new ones from scratch. I mean if you have the tools and skill to lengthen a stock arm than you should be plenty capable of building a new arm.

The one guy I've seen extend stock arms with any level of success did it by welding nuts along the inner channel of the arm and then threading some big ass rod through them. Made them adjustable. And scary as hell.

Mtn WJ
05-25-2006, 11:42 PM
I am all for something different but do not think re-welding stock arms is going to be safe at all. If you have the skills to make that work then you have the skills to make them out of DOM or something else. How about if you want longer stock arms use WJ rear lowers or something that you do not have to re-weld. Orrrr get some adjustable arms they are cheap and you find used ones all the time.

1996cc
05-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for your opinions. I'm not trying to kill anybody, or myself. Just trying to be frugal and think outside of the box.

Cue-Ball
05-26-2006, 12:01 PM
I think we are all for being frugal and thinking of new ideas, BUT we need to keep them safe!!!!

Texas ZJ1
05-26-2006, 06:19 PM
6" on SA's? :smt104

Shouldn't you be posting that shit on JU or JF :confused:

Please don't post pics when you're done.

6.5 on short arms...what about it?

Hunter

CurtP
05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
6.5 on short arms...what about it?
Nothing I wouldn't expect from a JF moderator :supz:

Texas ZJ1
05-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Oooh, stop the hate. :smt044 :smt044

Are you going to make it to GSW this year?

Hunter

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-26-2006, 11:45 PM

:owned:

CurtP
05-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Are you going to make it to GSW this year?

Me? No, I'm too much of a pussy to wheel my shit :rolleyes:

My real excuse? I just started a new job two months ago and have *NO* vacation.

Actually, I think my first reason is a better fit :D

zj-monster
05-27-2006, 12:26 AM

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d100/z-monster/Unsorted%20Shit/own3dbychapelle.gif

Texas ZJ1
05-27-2006, 02:36 AM
Owned....don't think so, You guys need help.

Here's ZJ at work