PDA

View Full Version : Steering Pull

Dragonfuel
05-25-2006, 11:59 AM
For the last Year I have been fighting a steering pull on my 97 ZJ. When I hit the brakes, it pulls hard to the right. I checked everything from Control arm's to track bar to linkage and steering box. Even flushed my brakes and checked the caliper's and pad guides. No Luck! I found by an old trick. I had jacked up the wheels and pulled and pushed, like checking for a bad wheel bearing or ball joint- all is tight. So a put a pry bar under the front wheel and pulled up.................holy shit! There is was. The lower ball joint was about to come out of its socket. The upper was good and tight. You can't check a ball joint if it's loaded.
To the part store I went- bought a new lower ball joint and C-clamp press from AutoZone. The ball joint was $45 and the C-clamp $100 that I got back after returning it. The key here is that the AutoZone loaner clamp will NOT WORK! The couplings are too shallow. After much cussing and pondering, I had a friend with a snap on version come over. DAMN are those things in there tight. Not mention that I lived in Michigan for most of the my Jeeps life. I had to use heat and a 30' cheater bar to pop it out. Just wanted to share how I found the ball joint loose and that Autozone tools will not work. This way I can save some grief for the rest of you.
Road tested- no more pull. really weird to have found this because there was no tire wear issue or clunking

DCHZJ
05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
I had to use heat and a 30' cheater bar to pop it out.

Crap thats a huge cheater bar. Where the hell do you store that?

Dragonfuel
05-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Sorry, meant 30" pry bar and the no, both brakes on both sides wearing equal. Which is why I had such a hard time figuring it out. All works great now.