PDA

View Full Version : instead of 4 link?

8WR_ZJ
05-20-2006, 11:45 AM
ok i am getting close to get ready to redo the jeep. a good friend of mine has an offroad buisness in louisiana and can get stuff for a really good price. i am thinking of running these arms in the front. i was going to run RE lj(unlimited) arms in the front. but i might run those cage offraod arms.
http://www.cageoffroad.com/catalog/item/1241774/724575.htm

They sale bushing that have different degree for the caster that way i wouldn't have to cut and rotate my knuckles. i wouls only have to make one bracket or just modify the one that comes with it to fit my sleeve on my frame rails. i am going to replace the heim joints w/ johnny joints b/c it is my DD. we just did a SAS on a 94 dakota and used these arms they flex just as good as any 4 link. what do yall think.

Jcbzj
05-20-2006, 02:21 PM
I was going to run a setup like that on mine, but I decided to go 3 link. First of all, how much lift are you running? I built some custom 43" ford radius arms with johnny joints somewhat similar to those with 7* bushings (the highest offset) and it didnt work out on mine. My jeep was at about 8" of lift though, my LCA mounts on my subframe were too high and my pinion angle and castor were both wayy off. You might be able to get away with not turning the knuckles, but it really depends on how much lift and which axle you are using (im guessing a high pinion?)

8WR_ZJ
05-20-2006, 06:21 PM
i am running a 77 ford hp 44 and 9". i plan on running around 6 to 7 inches of lift max w/ 37's. 37's fit now with 5.5 of lift they just rub pretty bad on the back (w/out any trimming). how long is a stock ford radius arm about 26-30 inches?

gdupjeep
05-27-2006, 08:21 PM
i am running a 77 ford hp 44 and 9". i plan on running around 6 to 7 inches of lift max w/ 37's. 37's fit now with 5.5 of lift they just rub pretty bad on the back (w/out any trimming). how long is a stock ford radius arm about 26-30 inches?

37's and 5.5" of lift? I think rubbing pretty bad in the back must be the understatement of all time.

OverkillZJ
05-27-2006, 09:36 PM
37's and 5.5" of lift? I think rubbing pretty bad in the back must be the understatement of all time.

Why?

If it hits, cut it. If you have the skill to build a driveline to truly handle wheeling with 37's, you sure as hell better know how to use a sawzall and weld some pinch seems!

gdupjeep
05-28-2006, 12:53 AM
I guess it all depends on how far you want to go in terms of mutilating/butchering your Jeep. I'd rather lift a vehicle high enough to clear to proper size tire than to have to remove bumpers or take fenders off. I don't really like the look of oversized tires stuffed on a minimal amount of lift. To me it looks stupid and it ends up chopping the tires to shreds.

But what the hell do I know. I'm pretty sure I'm not considered a "real" 4wheeler in the eyes of most around here since I'm not willing to damage my Jeep when taking if off road. Now if I was rich, I would destroy plenty of perfectly good vehicles.

8WR_ZJ
05-29-2006, 09:57 AM
i do plan on trimming the rear but it is not needed with my 35's. i dont like to beat the hell out my jeep but if i have to i will make it up that ledge! Now is 6-7 inches of lift to much for 37's. I was thinking about 7 but it may be a little tippy. i will be running them full width so i might be ok? well i went ahead and prder the arms from cage. the frame on my jeep is about 2 inches off to a fullsize? so reworking the bracket or building some wont be that bad.
we will see how it goes. thnaks for the input.

nate
05-29-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Didn't that guy with the ZJ painted like a Zebra run the Ford arms?

Swamp boy
05-29-2006, 10:12 PM
I think John has a 4 link setup..

Here is his Cardomain site..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/496493/2

Didnt he sell his jeep and buy a rock buggy??

Tommy
05-30-2006, 12:18 AM
i do plan on trimming the rear but it is not needed with my 35's. i dont like to beat the hell out my jeep but if i have to i will make it up that ledge! Now is 6-7 inches of lift to much for 37's. I was thinking about 7 but it may be a little tippy. i will be running them full width so i might be ok? well i went ahead and prder the arms from cage. the frame on my jeep is about 2 inches off to a fullsize? so reworking the bracket or building some wont be that bad.
we will see how it goes. thnaks for the input.

IMHO. I think that at 7" with 37's and full widths you will be just fine. I mean with all the shit I get about my rig being so tall with 38's and full widths I think 7" will be functional. Granted I am lowering my rig a bit but it will still be over 7" of lift no matter how I look at it. I have beat the piss out of my rig and have yet to roll it. Knock on wood. Full bodied and minimal trimming.

gdupjeep
05-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Why lower it? It looks bad ass like it is. If it is functional (which it appears to be from your photos), I would leave it alone and just have fun with it. Personally, fuck what everyone else says about your rig being too high. I would bring the front down at least to make it level with the back though. How much lift are you running with those coil overs by the way?

Tommy
05-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Why lower it? It looks bad ass like it is. If it is functional (which it appears to be from your photos), I would leave it alone and just have fun with it. Personally, fuck what everyone else says about your rig being too high. I would bring the front down at least to make it level with the back though. How much lift are you running with those coil overs by the way?

As far as the amount of lift I have never measured so I don't know.

NAFTEL
05-30-2006, 12:14 PM
I guess it all depends on how far you want to go in terms of mutilating/butchering your Jeep. I'd rather lift a vehicle high enough to clear to proper size tire than to have to remove bumpers or take fenders off. I don't really like the look of oversized tires stuffed on a minimal amount of lift. To me it looks stupid and it ends up chopping the tires to shreds.

But what the hell do I know. I'm pretty sure I'm not considered a "real" 4wheeler in the eyes of most around here since I'm not willing to damage my Jeep when taking if off road. Now if I was rich, I would destroy plenty of perfectly good vehicles.

point taken, but heres a good argument to go big tires and do lots of trimming- it keeps the body lower thus allowing shorter attractive women to get in easier!

*note my favorite tool is the grinder with a cut off wheel.

Tommy
05-30-2006, 12:29 PM
point taken, but heres a good argument to go big tires and do lots of trimming- it keeps the body lower thus allowing shorter attractive women to get in easier!

*note my favorite tool is the grinder with a cut off wheel.

Too that it is funner helping attractive women get up into my rig. They always need a hand. j/k