PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Canyonlands UT

RgriffZJ
05-18-2006, 06:16 PM
First off, I am retarded with computers, how can i make my 1.5mb pics small enough to post? thanks

I picked up the ZJ from 4wheelparts last Friday. One week after i was supposed to get it. Rubicon Express sent them the wrong crossmember, so that postponed it a few days, then there was a bolt threaded the wrong way. Days later, on the deadline for it to be completed i finally got to go pick it up 6pm in time to leave for Moab the next morning @ 6am. Me and my g/f load all our crap and were on our way. The rubbing on the lower rocker panel bolt was tearing the tires to pieces instantly so we had to make a detour to a buddies to use his grinder. It took us only 5 and a half hours to get from his house (Littleton, CO) to Island in the Sky Visitor Center to get our 3 night permit on the White Rim Trail. It was beautiful out there and if you have ever been out there, it is pretty desolate and our camps were at least 10 miles to the nearest camp 2 of the nights. Luckily on the 3rd we were less than a mile to another dude who gave us a jump when we found we had a dead battery (dont ask). Problem: Jeep will not jump start. It would only crank about 1 time then stop. It was so dead, his jumper cables were not large enough gague(sp?) to transfer enough current. Then I say Sh*t, and some other things. This was all happening at dusk, so he said that he would come back in the morning and try again. All night I am freaking out thinking how i am going to have to pay someone a hundred or two bucks to give me a ride (3hrs) to Moab. Then I am going to somehow get back to my jeep. The next morning we paralell two jumper cables and it starts, but wont hold idle. SO, I have to drive the remainder of the trail, which goes over hardscrabble hill and some obstacles, withoug letting the truck idle. Somehow we made it back to the pavement and drove toward Moab. Then, I see the check engine light and voltage gauge go all the way to the red. F?^K. Little did i know at the time, but this was the moment my battery completely died. Since i didnt know what was up with the charging system and if the alternator was getting fried or something, i decided to take it to a mechanic in Moab (Arches Auto repair) and had them test it. The battery would only hold .02 volts after charging, and after the new battery everything was fine. Go rafting, sleep, wake up, drive to Boulder. end of trip.

The white rim trail had some fun obstacles, especially on the side trail down Lathrop Canyon to the CO river. It was nothing too serious, but fun enough to break in the suspension and get a little adrenaline going. If you are looking for serious wheeling, look elsewhere. If you are looking for some awesome scenery, individual private camping, and 3 days of dust; this is the spot. The entire trail is over 100 miles and you can get up to 15 mph on some parts of it. Be warned that if you are scared of heights, look elsewhere. A lot of the trail is right on top of huge canyon walls. It is ridiculously surreal looking and beautiful. There was about 4 hours of driving each day, so there is no need to get up early and rush out of camp. It was very relaxing, except for when i got stung by a 6" scorpion 2 times, (once on each foot through the bottom of my tent while i was sleeping) I took about 4 rolls of film, have yet to get those developed but here are a few from the digi.

This is pretty long, so if you read this far, cool. I had a great time out there, and it is a trail you can do by yourself or with g/f etc. The trip completely exceeded my expectations. It turned out to be an extremely special and memorable adventure. If you read this far, cool. thanks.

Colorado 5.9
05-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a nice trip minus the ZJ problems. You can use this to downsize you photos. It's free!!!! http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

Of course photobucket will automaticly downsize your photos too when you upload them but you don't get a say to what.

Pitch
05-18-2006, 07:28 PM
I'd love to do the Rim someday, but don't know if I'll take the Jeep or my bike. I spent a few days backpacking in the Needles district last year... awesome! And I can't wait to get back.