PDA

View Full Version : What spares do YOU bring?

AgitatedPancake
05-12-2006, 02:25 PM
I've never been out to moab, im just tryin to get a feel for what people think they might break, and what fluids they bring along and stuff.

Thanks, AP.

ArloGuthroJeep
05-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I am carrying all of my stock parts out there...not enough cash to go buy stuff w/o knowing if I'll break it or not for sure:( Then again if I break anything that was aftermarket, I am in trouble...Fluids, gear fluid prolly the most important.

Texas ZJ1
05-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Arlo,

the key is being willing and able to help the other guys when they break down. Don't just sit on the sidelines waiting to be asked. Get you socket set or JB Weld out or whatever they may need. Oh yeah, bring lots of water. It always helps to hand the newlie fixed guy a bottle of water after the fixins done.

You'd be amazed how much help you'll get if you ever break down.

Hunter

ArloGuthroJeep
05-12-2006, 03:34 PM
I have no problem helping out, I love wrenching:D JB Weld? Psh, <insert chuck norris joke>

Snowman
05-12-2006, 04:05 PM
A case of one liter water bottles, tools including mallet, sockets, wrenches, wenches*, 3"X30' tow strap, 10' tow chains with hooks, WD40, hi jack, jack mate [great tool which can be used as a come along and as a jaws of life => http://www.dirtroadmagazine.com/jackmate.htm :smt023], first aid kit, fire extinguisher, all sorts of removed stock parts [just in case], annual National Parks and National Forest passes [for side trips], many rolls of film, cameras, lenses, batteries, lens tissue, 7X50 night binoculars and most important

=> a sense of humor and a sense of adventure 'cause we are there to have fun!

* with a good wench who needs a winch?:best: :smt043

ArloGuthroJeep
05-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Arlo,

the key is being willing and able to help the other guys when they break down. Don't just sit on the sidelines waiting to be asked. Get you socket set or JB Weld out or whatever they may need. Oh yeah, bring lots of water. It always helps to hand the newlie fixed guy a bottle of water after the fixins done.

You'd be amazed how much help you'll get if you ever break down.

Hunter

I thought of a better response...

Ugh things are going to break on the trail? That is lame why can't they wait until we get back to town for them to break? I hate helping people:driving:

AgitatedPancake
05-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Lol thanks guys. I just dont really want to have to go buy spare axle shafts before the trip...I wont have any left after my next upgrade *giggles*, so it would be hard. Im thinking im just going ot try to play it smart, dont use the skinny pedal and dont take challenges from you guys =D I can see it now...

"I bet you cant do that man,"
"Hmm...I think I could..."
"PROVE IT!"
(I drive off towards the obstacle, get half way up and start hopping it...*SNAP*)
"Told you you couldnt do it"

Lol...Ok another question...WJ locked in the rear with 4" (or so...hehe) lift, 33"s, cut fenders, and a locker should I try intermediate or difficult? I am willing to accept body damage, but breaking stuff ending my trip wouldnt be too fun...

rrubio
05-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Lol...Ok another question...WJ locked in the rear with 4" (or so...hehe) lift, 33"s, cut fenders, and a locker should I try intermediate or difficult? I am willing to accept body damage, but breaking stuff ending my trip wouldnt be too fun...
No one will ever talk you into doing a trail that you are not willing to do.You can do difficult trails being locked and the 44 in the rear.I did Golden Spike last year but I only had 32's and I was able to flex more than if I had 33's.Stick with difficults trails for your first time out there.
Ramon

BigDaveZJ
05-12-2006, 05:48 PM
I'd recommend something like Poison Spider as a good intro to slick rock run.

As for spares, it depends on where your weak points are. Driveline is usually the biggest. U-joints, axleshafts, stuff like that are always a good thing to have. One thing you'll find is that between all of the people at GSW we could probably build 4 or 5 Jeeps out of just the spare parts that we bring. People have on-board welders, on-board air tools, all sorts of stuff. If you have a part you can bring as a spare, I would bring it. If you're limited on space, I'd only bring things are "necessary." Don't worry about having spare shocks and stuff like that.

JohnBoulderCO
05-12-2006, 06:05 PM
I bring an assortment of WJ steering stuff. Tie rod, TRE's, Drag Link stuff....my tie rod seems to get busted and bent all the time, well, until I got Kevin's and flipped it on top!:D

rrubio
05-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Im bringing what ever I have as spares in my garage that I can carry.I have an extra power steering pump,alternator,a shock or two,serpentine bels,some control arms and misc stuff.
Ramon

nate
05-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I brought a spare set of axle shafts, set of stubs, driveshaft u joints, spare brake calipers, ignition parts, fuses, electrical connectors, etc, etc. I just went though my garage and packed whatever I thought I could use.

Snowman
05-12-2006, 07:14 PM

Just be difficult!

LouisianaZJ
05-12-2006, 10:30 PM
normally just tools, some assorted oils, serp belt, 1-2 TRE's, d-shaft ujoint, and D30 full shafts

OverkillZJ
05-12-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't cary many spares, but only because it was at the point where I could predict what could break pretty easily.

This year I'll be bringing none, really because I can't afford these kind of spares. If it breaks just break out the torch, or the tow strap.

nate
05-13-2006, 12:17 AM
The other thing too is that the trails aren't super far from town. It's not like wheeling in Alaska where you are 50-60 miles from the nearest house with running water and another 30-40 miles from a parts store. :D