PDA

View Full Version : Short arm tech

RiverRat
05-07-2006, 02:17 AM
Okay, all you Long arm guys can just stop with the " just go to long arms" input. Yes, I would love it, but I can't yet. I have so far

KOR front track bar conversion
RE lowers, adjustable F/R
RE rear track bar
F>R swap, 3.5 inch front springs

I am thinking of replacing my front LCA mounts with something one inch higher and rearward of the factory axle mount, and redrilling the frame mount hole back two inches since there is room to do this in the front. This would give me better angle, and I won't go any higher for lift. I am looking for more ride comfort and less skateboard steer.
In the rear I was thinking of redrilling the axle mount holes one inch higher than stock and maybe relocating and bracing the rear track bar axle side mount about two inches higher. I'd really like a tri link rear setup, but not yet. I'd like a welded on truss setup on a D44a or something better than my alloy axled turd I run right now. This is a daily driver do all rig, and I don't want a 1000 RTI swamp buggy, I want a good at all things rig. Towing, kids eventually, off road, mileage, looks, power, etc...
I will soon be installing a Waggy box with the fourth bolt installed. Then I'm sure I will snap a tie rod, but maybe not. I only run 31's...

Jared:D

Zjeeper
05-07-2006, 02:47 AM
jesus christ kid, one thing at a time!!

i run 35s with short arms, it rides like dogshit but does just fine on the trails. instead of taking the time to try and relocate your LCA brackets take the LCA's off and take a grinder and make a notch on the axle bracket above where your control arms sit. i ground down about 3/4 of an inch and gained about 4" of downward flex in the front. but in all seriousness, dont dump a ton of money into a short arm setup, youll regret it. even when i did the FR swap and and 4" coils in the front i wanted long arms just cause the ride is so much better with long arms. youll feel every bump in the road with the short arms

RiverRat
05-13-2006, 01:32 AM
I'm pretty close to the end of spending money on it, I can only buy upper adjustable ca's, everything else I buy will carry over to a long arm kit anyway, like swaybars and fourbolt boxes that will accomodate the big jump to LA's should I be able to. The Oregon trails don't really require 1000 rti scores, locked diffs and large tires work well. 33's and a front locker to match my rear locker would get me further, but I want an all around Jeep, not a trail buggy. I will someday be able to have a trailbuggy, but not anytime soon. I might stick like 30 bucks in scrap steel into this idea, not much.

BigDaveZJ
05-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Your plan sounds to me like it would weaken already weak mounting points on the axles and unibody. I wouldn't do it. Any benefits wouldn't be worth the effort anyways.

RiverRat
05-13-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm really wishing I was going to a Clayton's long arm lift, it's a great deal. I'd really want to take the plunge and get some bigger axles and an Atlas 4.0. I would really like it, but that is more in equipment than the rig is worth. I'd probably get RK 4.0 springs and run 33's

Jared

ILikeMud
05-14-2006, 12:02 AM
You can run 33s on your current set up.
Get the sawzall and a big hammer and they will fit. I'm running 33s with 3.5" of lift, so is Dave (BigDaveZJ). It works damn good.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-15-2006, 12:50 AM
a properly tuned short arm suspension will ride just fine on the street. I'm at 5.5" on JKS short arms and it is good enough. Keeping everything tight and bushing in good shape makes all the diff. in the world. I'm just going to longarms for more technical terrain and the added adjustability. Just tune the shorties for what ya got.

RiverRat
05-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Yes, I can run 33's right now. I'm not sure I want to. Maybe if I just use them for 'wheeling. I have a 4.0 liter with a header, K&N, 2.5 inch exhaust, Flowmaster, and ignition. It came with 3.73's, I just don't want to lose the torque I have now. I don't want to lose mileage, as I get 13-15 mpg daily now. When she was stock I got 15-17 mpg. Not a big loss, I don't want to lose more. I probably would go to 16's and run 255/85/16 BFG muds or something like that. I like the skinny meats.

Jared