PDA

View Full Version : xj rear bumper

aresridingflat
05-04-2006, 04:50 PM
i'm going to be building a rear bumper for a buddy of mine's xj...the thing is tying it into the unibody to make it suitable for recovery...I really don't think the stock 8 bolt will be sturdy enough, and that also doesn't seem like it could take the weight of a tire swing, so what would you guys recomend?

I was thinking use 1/4" plate where the stock locations are, then have a piece of 1/4" plate that ran backwards into the frame rail and have that welded to the first piece of plate, and then sandwhich the frame reail between that and 3/16 with the nuts welded to it.

The rub on just sticking 2x2 into the frame is the shackle bolts, an inch into the body they stick out a good way...I don't see cutting them as being a good solution..

opinions?

Will

aresridingflat
05-05-2006, 02:39 AM
i found a scary rear design on naxja where the dude was yanking off of stock points. fuck that. i'm not down with my work taking people out.

i'm kind of thinking angle iron sandwiched in the frame rails might be a good bet...

like i said, 2x2 like how atlzj and i built my bumpers won't fit in the xj frame rails because of the shackle bolts...

Will

rob92xj
05-06-2006, 05:44 AM
I'm looking at cutting a small section out of the body where the stock bumper mounts are so a piece of 1x1 box tubing can fit in the frame that should clear the shackle bolt and I'm planning on drilling and taping the bolt holes in the 1x1.
Doing that and using all the holes from the traler hitch/gas tank skid should provide 16 mounting bolts. Tomken is claiming their new rear bumper for the XJ has 27 mounting points check out their site for the E.E.L.D. I seen it on there before http://www.tomken.com/

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-06-2006, 08:51 AM
check out the C-Rok design. they have some very nice stuff.

aresridingflat
05-06-2006, 11:49 AM
the c-rok looks good, tomken was vague how they made theirs mount.

my idea is to run angle iron straight back into the frame rails so i can use the hitch mounts. where the angle iron attatches to the bumper i'll use some gussets and most likely include plate that will attatch to the stock bumper mounting location.

Will

aresridingflat
05-31-2006, 12:14 AM
just an update of how this thing came out...

I ended up using angle welded to box and gusseted inside the frame rails.

it connects to the frame in 8 places, none of them being the goofy ass stock plate type, they are all inside the rails.

The shackle tab is welded on inside and out, and then gussted inside with about 4-5 passes over it. not going anywhere

he pulled someone out this weekend with no problems.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/2128000-2128999/2128041_75_full.jpg

zjinprogress
06-02-2006, 07:37 PM
can we get some close up shots of the latch and hinge mechanisms?

Mike

aresridingflat
06-02-2006, 11:01 PM
if you mean the four holes drilled through 1/4" plate ....

to pieces of plate sandwich the 2x2 on one end with gussets on the bottom, then botled with a 1/2" grade 8 nut/bolt, then there's the same thing on the other side with a 1/2" T handle from the tractor store

pro.

Will