PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on pully removal.

slomatt
05-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Last year my power steering pump failed (130k miles) and I replaced it with a rebuilt unit from Jeep. Now the new pump is making strange noises and I belive it is faulty so I'm going to take it for a warantee return.

The problem is that I can't get the pully off of the pump. I'm using a pully remover that fits snugly around the flange but when I started tightening the bolt to pull the pully off the shaft it cracked the flange off of the pully! So, now there is no way to use a pully remover and I'm concerned that using a three-jaw puller through the bolt installation holes will cause damage.

Anybody have any advice? I'd like to avoid purchasing another pully if possible. I've considered using heat to expand the metal but I think the shaft would also expand which wouldn't help. The only viable option I can think of it supporting the pully from the bottom and then pounding out the pump via. the pully shaft. Arg. Any help/input/advice is much appreciated!

- Matt

Zjeeper
05-02-2006, 09:29 PM
is it not the metal pulley? mine is metal with 3 holes in it

slomatt
05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
It's a plastic pully with a metal bushing to fit over the shaft. My stock one failed (ie. blew into multiple pieces) and left the bushing. :)

- Matt

Zjeeper
05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
theres really no other good way to get the pully off. hammer will just break the plastic. just get a new pully

J B
05-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Yep, looks like you'll get to get a new pulley.

Hammering it won't do anything. You'll have to have it pressed off.

slomatt
05-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the replies and the input.

Since the removal flange was gone I ended up trying some alternate methods of pully removal which as predicted resulted in a pully in multiple pieces.

I was able to get a warantee replacement of the pump and a bought a new pully for the "good deal" price of $35 at the dealer, Kragen wanted $19 but had none in stock. When I got home and took the pump out of the box I found a big crack in the cast iron pump body and of course the dealer doesn't have any more so I'm waiting for a replacement. Arg.

It would seem like Jeep had a bad batch of remanufactured pumps.