PDA

View Full Version : heavy steering?

Zjeeper
05-01-2006, 11:49 PM
So i replaced my steering box and power steering pump but now its hard as hell to turn the wheel and the wheel feels kind of jumpy when turning. also when going right to left or vice versa there is a very noticible jump at center. filled it with fluid and cycled it, poured more fluid in and kept cycling it/letting it sit to get the air out but its still not right and ive been doing this for about 5 hrs now. any other ideas?

ATL ZJ
05-02-2006, 12:33 AM
So i replaced my steering box and power steering pump but now its hard as hell to turn the wheel and the wheel feels kind of jumpy when turning. also when going right to left or vice versa there is a very noticible jump at center. filled it with fluid and cycled it, poured more fluid in and kept cycling it/letting it sit to get the air out but its still not right and ive been doing this for about 5 hrs now. any other ideas?
Just wait.. I'll betcha a lot of something that there's still air in the system. It'll work its way out over time. Mine usually does it too when I disconnect the lines and keeps that heavy feeling for a couple weeks. Constant left and right turning will just break the air bubbles down smaller. So far, the only solution I've found is to just wait.

Colorado 5.9
05-02-2006, 12:41 AM
So I have to ask just to be sure. When cycling the box, were the front wheels off the ground? Was the engine off & the return line discoed from the box?

Zjeeper
05-02-2006, 07:04 AM
i lifted the front wheels, didnt know about disconnecting the return line. i'll give that a try