PDA

View Full Version : Vague Steering Fixed

Z
04-30-2006, 10:35 PM
(New post for future searchers)

To recap - while wheeling in Moab my steering started to get VERY vague - I'd have to turn the wheel twice as much to turn the same amount as usual.

I bought a new steering gearbox from PSC and if anything the problem got worse. Took the ZJ to a 4x4 shop, they did some "usual" things like replace suspension bushings, but basically after $800, they said "I don't know".

Called PSC, talked to their tech support and was told they don't have the equipment to QA thier boxes, that "normally" they "just work", but that there is an adjustment bolt that I should try. The adjustment hex bolt is in the middle of a bolt in the silver cover on the top of the gearbox. The stock box that I took off also has this adjustment hex bolt. You loosen the bolt, adjust the hex bolt, then tighten the "main" bolt.

I was told to turn the adjuster bolt 1/4 turn counterclockwise. On my PSC, this seemed to make a little difference, but not nearly enough. After a bit of trial and error I ended up backing off the adjuster bolt a full turn (maybe a tad more).

My steering is SOOOO much better now. I might actually need to turn the adjuster a tad bit more, but I'm going to drive more than around the block for a more thorough test.

If you're trying to diagnose your own vague steering, here's something I realized too late to save my $800 (and I'm a LITTLE pissed off that the 4x4 shop didn't perform this test themselves - they're supposed to be the experts!!!) Starting with a centered steering wheel, turn the wheel left and right. If there's NO resistance for a while, then try turning the adjuster screw counterclockwise 1/4 turn or more.

BigDaveZJ
04-30-2006, 10:56 PM
Good to hear you got it fixed Tom. I assume this is what you called me about? Sorry I didn't answer, we were in the middle of watching a movie.

Once I know my deadspot is no longer coming from the trackbar bushings, if the dead spot is still there I'll play with this adjustment a little bit.

Also, we need to get the supplies for the steering brace. The clamp you're gonna need is on this page: http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/SteerBrace/brace.htm

Looks like this:
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/SteerBrace/03.jpg

I'll probably start looking into getting the metal tomorrow. I'm going to be out of town next weekend, but I'm thinking the weekend after will be the best bet to build our boxes . . . shit . . . except that Sunday is Mother's Day. Maybe the Sunday after that???

Z
04-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Good to hear you got it fixed Tom. I assume this is what you called me about? Sorry I didn't answer, we were in the middle of watching a movie.

Once I know my deadspot is no longer coming from the trackbar bushings, if the dead spot is still there I'll play with this adjustment a little bit.

Also, we need to get the supplies for the steering brace. The clamp you're gonna need is on this page: http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/SteerBrace/brace.htm

Looks like this:
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/SteerBrace/03.jpg

I'll probably start looking into getting the metal tomorrow. I'm going to be out of town next weekend, but I'm thinking the weekend after will be the best bet to build our boxes . . . shit . . . except that Sunday is Mother's Day. Maybe the Sunday after that???

Actually, I called you about the dryer.

Do you want me to buy two of the braces - can probably save a little on shipping.

BigDaveZJ
04-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Tom,
I've already got one for my ZJ, but was thinking about building a brace for Pam's ZJ since we'll be making 2 already, might as well make a 3rd.

Since Pam's only has the 3 bolts, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to brace it now. So if you want to order 2, we'll get ya the cash.

Colorado 5.9
05-01-2006, 12:49 AM
What I find interesting is that it was counter clockwise. On stock boxes you turn the adjuster screw clockwise to tighten things up. I told Dave the other day I'd like to drive/steer both your jeeps to see what/if anything differant there are between the 3 boxes.

shayzj
05-01-2006, 01:31 AM
Yeah I have always been told that you can only adjust the screw clockwise. Never take it counter clockwise. But hey if it works fuck it.

Shay

nate
05-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Adjusting just that screw is a good way to kill a box in short order... you need to adjust a couple other things to do the job right. The FSM has a real good writeup on adjusting/rebuilding Saginaw boxes.

J B
05-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Adjusting just that screw is a good way to kill a box in short order... you need to adjust a couple other things to do the job right. The FSM has a real good writeup on adjusting/rebuilding Saginaw boxes.

Adjusting that screw simply changes the mesh of the steering gear inside the box. If you're having to adjust it at all, the box already has some wear, and it's really a band aid fix in that case. As long as you make the adjustments in small increments, you should be ok.

Zjeeper
05-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Anyone have any pics of one you made? i tore mine off this weekend (on the street!) and dont want it to happen again. Broke 2 bolts and tore the casting out around the third.... WTF

Mtn WJ
05-01-2006, 05:17 PM
You need to be very carefull when adjusting the lash out of older steering boxes. New or rebuilt boxes should have the lash pre-adjusted by the re-builder.

When adjusting you actually bring the worn gears closer and therefore reduce the play in the steering. However the worn portion of the gears is typically in the center of the gears because that is where most of your steering takes place. If you mesh them too close and make a sharp turn where you have rotated the gears to the less worn spot you could end up getting the gears jammed tight and end up locking up your steeing. Imagine this on the road going around a corner and not being able to re-center your steering. I have literally been in an old truck with my dad as a kid and see this happen. My dad over adjusted his steering and we went around a corner where he could not re-center. Fortunately we were on a farm road and no one was hurt.

I suggest you turn your steering lock to lock several times to be sure you will not have this happen to you.

CurtP
05-02-2006, 07:12 AM
I'm still confused as to how adjusting the mesh of the gears fixed a vague issue that required one to "turn the wheel twice as much to turn the same amount as usual". It sounds more like it had air in the system that took a while to bleed out. Even then, that should be effort not ratio :confused:

J B
05-02-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm still confused as to how adjusting the mesh of the gears fixed a vague issue that required one to "turn the wheel twice as much to turn the same amount as usual". It sounds more like it had air in the system that took a while to bleed out. Even then, that should be effort not ratio :confused:

Because the wear causes a "dead spot" when the wheel is centered. So you can move the whel maybe 1/4 turn in either direction, and it does nothing to steer the vehicle.

Z
05-02-2006, 01:55 PM

I was actually suffering from two symptoms:
1. Vague Steering when moving from a centered steering wheel.
2. Need to overcorrect on obstacles.

I replaced the stock, presumably worn out gearbox with a PSC gearbox. I PRESUME that problem 2 is fixed. After reading Keith's and other posts above, I think I have a bad PSC gearbox and will be calling PSC for further advice - after 1 full turn of the adjuster bolt there's still too much play on the highway.

Just talked to PSC - I swear the person I talked to originally told me to turn adjuster bolt counter-clockwise, but now I've been told to adjust clockwise - which is what people above said. What's interesting is that turning counter-clockwise did make an improvement (though not enough).

Colorado 5.9
05-02-2006, 02:42 PM
I would say your right. The thing that gets me is that they are supposed to be in the business of STEERING and they don't have the equipment to test the boxes? WTF!!!!

I'm really starting to wonder about PSC. Corey & I had to wait quite awile for our boxes last fall( like a month). Got the excuse they were just about to move & they had some people out also.

Seems I heard something through the winter about them too & now this.

I don't think I'll be so quick to recomend their boxes for now.

nate
05-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Yeah from what I gather it's under a different structure of management. When the owner took over just last year it was him and his wife running it. (Tom?) Very good customer service.

Now it seems the manager is running the show... forget his name and the customer service isn't as good IMO.

I ordered a box for my truck and they sent it to Alaska when I gave them the address here in Idaho. It took quite a few phone calls and hassle to get it straightened out, for something that was not even my fault.