PDA

View Full Version : Short Arms?

ILikeMud
04-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Anyone make there own short arms?
I know it's not all that hard. All I can see myself need material wise is some thread rod, nuts, DOM tubing, rubber bushings for the frame side and johnny joints for the axle side.

However can anyone give me a hand in how I would go about making my own adjustable arms? I know I'm gonna have to crawl under and take some measurements to cut everything to the right size but I'm just not 100% sure how to go about it.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-24-2006, 10:56 PM
If you're going to all that trouble, just make longarms.

ILikeMud
04-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I'd love to make some long arms but when I am ready for that upgrade I want to swap my axles out at the same time.
For the wheeling I'm doing now short arms will be fine.

DCHZJ
04-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Keep an eye out for some on sale, i got all 8 of mine for like 600 bucks. 6 are RE superflex the upper rear are not, but they will be eventualy. Only 2 lowers are used. the rest are new.

Hell my whole 4.5 inch lift 99% RE is only costing me $700 (not including the front and rear track bars but i needed these anyways)

OverkillZJ
04-25-2006, 08:58 AM
LA means building and designing a sub frame, I'd consider that more work!

As for short arms, really shouldn't be that hard. You can buy sleeves that stock bushings will fit in, and heck, make them of 2x4 box and weld the ends at an angle to avoid binding. They'd be the ultimate short arms, haha.

Point is same rules apply to building short arms, they're just shorter and don't require a sub frame.

Of course I've never built either, so don't listen to me.

redzj
04-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Long arms are definately the way to go but are WAY more time consuming and complicated. I think you are asking how to make short arms, long arms are a little over your head just yet.

Swamp boy
04-25-2006, 09:31 AM
I built my own short arms a while back.. I used 2" Dom .

I made them solid first and later cut them and made them adjustable..

But I started with the Dom and the sleeves for the stock bushings .. Then I cut a 10% pie wedge out of the pipe near the center and bent it then rewelded it so that they where simular shape to the factory arms..

Let me see if I have a picture..

ILikeMud
04-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Swampy, pictures would be great.