PDA

View Full Version : Electrical diagnostic tool recommendation

robselina
04-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Saw the code scanner thread but it didn't give me any ideas....

Anyway, had an unsolvable electrical bug in the grand for over a year. replaced nearly everything, no luck. Need big-boy tools to figure this one out (struck out with a couple mechanics too BTW). I need something better than just a code scanner, I actually need to see full data output from each sensor to see WTF is wrong with my engine.

It's on a 1995 with the 318, so it's pre-OBD-II.

Two questions:
1 - what is the earler interphase/software called? (the one my rig has, not OBD-II on the 96 and ups)
2 - Any recommendations on a diagnostic tool or software package? I do have a laptop.

I'm fed up of this POS not working, I want to be able to get it to act up, and then diagnose what's going wrong. If it has data logger capability so I can analyze it after the fact that would be bonus.

If it can deal with newer imports like my 2003 Mazda DD, that would also help justify the expense.

Thanks,

Rob

JeepinHank
04-20-2006, 12:46 PM
1) ummmm... OBD-I??? Can it be that easy?

2) No idea.

Sorry I couldn't provide more help.

robselina
04-20-2006, 03:25 PM
yea, turns out 1991-1995 is infact OBD-I for Jeep. There was an earlier proprietary chrysler system that I had seen conflicting reports on which was making me second guess it.

This reader has on-demand raw data, but it's pretty short in the interval.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AXY%2D10130&view=1&N=4294924755+4294908280+0&appfilter=1

I could probably make it work but I'd REALLY like something that could give me a true log of all sensors to get a better picture.....

CurtP
04-20-2006, 09:17 PM
The Chrysler system wasn't proprietary IIRC - it was OBDI compliant, but had additional information in the data streams that standard code readers of the time couldn't read. The practice isn't that unusual - GM and Ford did the same thing and I'm pretty sure BMW still does.

I'm not aware of any Chrysler compatible OBDI datalogger, but I'm sure if there is, Google can help you find it. The software I use, TTS Datamaster, is for GM products.

Really though - why do you even need a datalogger? Unless you're working on a custom tune, then it really isn't going to be of that much use. A good digital VOM is more useful in troubleshooting an OBDI vehicle IMO. The Fluke 88V/A is made specifically for automotive testing. The 87V can do most of the functions of an 88V, but is slightly cheaper, but doesn't include all the automotive specific accessories.