PDA

View Full Version : '96 suzuki sidekick brake issue

BigDaveZJ
04-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Okay, this is pam and I'm too lazy to sign myself on. Dave and I are working on my mom's suzuki. Yes it's a 4x4...

The front brakes keep sticking. Everything looks fine except for the fact that the front calipers are the freakiest things we've ever seen. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

OverkillZJ
04-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Get a bigger hammer.

Goddman newbies :finga:

BigDaveZJ
04-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Dumbass. The calipers are sticking when Pam's mom lets off the brakes. Then they get uber hot and glaze up pretty bad. We bled them pretty good tonight and I'm gonna slap some new pads on tomorrow and see if that fixes anything.

JpRngr
04-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Dave, if the calipers are sticking and locking up the wheels, you need to isolate what's causing it. While they're sticking, break open the bleeder screw and see if any pressure releases and wheels unlock. If it does, your problem is upstream of the calipers(i.e. MC, hose, combo valve). If it still is locked up, it's in the caliper(i.e. stuck piston, sticking slides, etc.). Let me know if you need any more assistance. Call me at work tomorrow if you need anything.

Corey

Bustin' Loose
04-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Corey:

The brakes only seem to stick when it's hot/warmer outside and when she's been on the highway for a period of time. Mostly on her way back from the hospital in the aftenoons, normally during rush hour traffic. Stop and go. So she looses power, can't speed up, then the brakes heat up...to the point they will smoke and then she looses brakes all together basically and has to down shift and e-brake it. Short of having her stop on I-25 during rush hour traffic, it's kinda hard to get the calipers to stick in a situation where we can start working on the vehicle.

THe MC, calipers and pads have just been replaced not to long ago. Say within 4 months. The pads were replaced in the last 5 weeks.

Any other suggestions?

BigDaveZJ
04-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Turns out the MC was NOT replaced, and after doing Corey's test which took me all of about 5 minutes to heat up the brakes, the calipers popped loose when I opened the bleeder screw. So now it's time to find a Suzuki Sidekick MC . . . .