PDA

View Full Version : Moab (Golden Spike) May 12-14

MarkCO
04-16-2006, 02:42 PM
TZumalt and I are planning a May trip back out to Moab to do a Golden Spike run in May. The weekend of May 12th, has a full moon so that's as good of a date for a spike run as any :D

I'm going to leave Denver on Friday after work and return home on Sunday, with the spike run on Saturday.

So does anyone else want to squeze in a weekend of Moab between now and grandslam?

XLSLC
04-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Hey Mark, I may come with. I think the gf and I are going to be out there Wed-Sunday. I think you've got my cell #, if not Tom does, give me a call when you guys are heading out and we could meet up if I'm out there.

nate
04-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Your driving all the way to Moab to run just Golden Spike?

MarkCO
04-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Your driving all the way to Moab to run just Golden Spike?

Well for us Denver folks it's not that long of a trip. We can easily leave for Moab after work on Friday, wheel Sat/Sun and be back at work on Monday morning.

nate
04-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Still a 2-3 hr drive, no? I would at least do all 3 trails, Posion Spider, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim. None of them are all that great, but together it's a halfway decent trail ride. My opinion of course.

XLSLC
04-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Still a 2-3 hr drive, no? I would at least do all 3 trails, Posion Spider, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim. None of them are all that great, but together it's a halfway decent trail ride. My opinion of course.

I assume you meant that, Mark. PSM to spike and ending on gold bar, like we did in March.

MarkCO
04-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Actually it never occured to me that you could do spike without doing spider to get there and gold bar rim to get back out. How exactly does that work?

But Tom and I were talking about doing the run just like we did last time. Now that I've got my lift on, I've got the urge to get down to Moab one weekend a month or so during the nice weather.

JohnBoulderCO
04-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Actually it never occured to me that you could do spike without doing spider to get there and gold bar rim to get back out. How exactly does that work?
It doesn't, unless you have a helicopter.:D

nate
04-30-2006, 02:00 AM
I wasn't sure. When I told people we did all 3 trails, they were like... oh that was a long day, etc.. made it sound like you could do just one or two? Of all the trails we did, I think those 3 where the most driving around and least fun. There's not anything very difficult... great for stock rigs though.

Golden Crack was all nice, but it didn't live up to my expectations. I was thinking it was something that you have to have the perfect line or you weren't going to make it. haha.

JohnBoulderCO
04-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Golden Crack was all nice, but it didn't live up to my expectations. I was thinking it was something that you have to have the perfect line or you weren't going to make it. haha.

If you have a locked T-case (not an old style 249) and at least one locker and/or articulation you will walk through it. If not, you will get stuck and need a strap. I had to strap several across on the Feb trip.

It will also test your steering and suspension set up. I have seen drag links pop, springs fall out and tires tear up sheet metal.

nate
04-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah the only thing I didn't like is that it was putting alot of pressure on my steering. I took a hard line first, and backed up and when a little more to the right because of that. I lifted the driver's tire a bit I guess, but I didn't have any lockers on and had no trouble. Heck I ran alot of the trails in 2wd, and used 4Lo just for the gearing cause the group was put putting. A couple spots I turned the rear locker on and I had to use the front like twice. Swampers... :smt035

I think a person could go straight though the crack though, and not at an angle.

JohnBoulderCO
04-30-2006, 11:32 AM
I think a person could go straight though the crack though, and not at an angle.
Get your ass to GSW and we can try that line through the crack. :D

OverkillZJ
04-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Get your ass to GSW and we can try that line through the crack. :D

If things on the buggy work as planned (big if) - I might try that :smt030

Anyone trying it on a full bodied rig though (without 42" tires) - HHAHAHAA, man, I want to be there to see that... :tease:

zjmike4
04-30-2006, 02:51 PM
I will be out there then, but I'm planning on running Behind the Rocks on Saturday.

BigDaveZJ
04-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Anyone trying it on a full bodied rig though (without 42" tires) - HHAHAHAA, man, I want to be there to see that... :tease:

I'm surprised I didn't try that last year with all of the other stupid shit I was doing on the trail that day!!!