PDA

View Full Version : body float and twist

cnj101
04-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi all, I finally got my RE3.5 lift in and did the 231 swap. Before the lift the jeep felt squirly going down the road. Road pitch would reall knock it around. I just figured after the lift all would be good due to new controll arms, sway bushings, ect... Now after the lift it is a bit better but I am now noticing a floating feeling from the rear when going into a turn. WHen first entering a turn or bend in the road the ass end has to catch up to the front end and feels very unstable for a nonent. Also I have noticed that when accelorating if I quick let off the gas or when accelorating hard and the trans shifts the jeep twists ti the right pulling me twards the shoulder of the road. Also does this under heavy braking. At first I thought it was because I am now in 2 wheel drive but Not so sure now. Any ideas? 96 ZJ Limited. 3.5 super ride 32x11.5-15 @ 30 psi, 4.5 back space wheels. Stock track bars and sway bars, weak upper control arm bushings.

DJJordache
04-08-2006, 10:57 PM
it's pretty much a product of being lifted...... get used to it....... BUT you should have adjustable trackbars at that height and don't get those crappy brackets either.

the twisting part is b/c your trackbars are no longer parallel with the ground and will now kinda "track steer" over bumps/humps that allow alot of suspension movement, since the axle will be moving up and down on the raduis angle of the track bar.

you can upgrade your sway bars if you can't handle the leaning in the turns, did you get it alligned after the lift was installed?

Kraqa
04-08-2006, 11:07 PM
hmm if it did it stock and its worse now then i woudl suspect something else is wrong. even with stock track bars and Control arms @ 5.5" lift mine was never that bad. you got somethign else goign on man. i woudl check all aspects of yoru suspension system.

cnj101
04-09-2006, 11:51 AM
no alignment yet, I set the caster as positive as I could keeping the pinion angle in mind, and set the toe to zero for now using an oldschool guage I found at the shop. I got an RE front adj track bar coming, upper control arm bushings, and a drop pitman on the way. If all that doesn't do it then I start working on the rear suspention. Oh do I need any brackets with the adjustable trackbars, or just use the stock mounting holes. Right now I have stock bars with RE bracket in the rear and I redrilled a new hole 3/4" over in the front.

Kraqa
04-09-2006, 01:24 PM
don't get a drop pitman arm. unless you relocated yoru track bar mounts you will get bump stear.

cnj101
04-09-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't follow. On the rear I have the RE bracket with stock arm. On the front I havr the stock arm with no bracket, just drilled a new hole 3/4" to the drivers side. Oh and I already have bump steer. Had it before the lift, did balljoints got better but still there.

nate
04-09-2006, 11:04 PM
When you lift the Jeep, the track bar and draglink are lifted the same height... so there's no reason to put a DPA.

Ken L
04-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Did you get all new arms or are you running any stock ones? Not sure because you said that you have "weak upper control arm bushings". If the bushings are shot, that will contribute.

cnj101
04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
all the lower arms are new, adjustable in the rear. The uppers are stock.

Jim311
04-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Tighten all your bolts. I had the same problem, it was scary as hell. Turned out it was just a few bolts that needed to be cranked down.