PDA

View Full Version : Double Double High Steer Anybody?

sailbrooks
04-06-2006, 10:17 PM
So, I am trying to fit double high steer (seperate tie rod and drag link mounts/connections on the high steer arm.) I really want to make this work so I don't snap that stupid cast drag link TRE that everyone is always complaining about. I have Sky manufacturing arms right now but they are not long enough. I ordered the poison spider arms which have 3 mounting holes on each side and are longer. There are three problems I am facing right now:

1. Binding on the coil springs by the tie rod (hopefully solved by the PS arms.)
2. OK but not so great parrallelness with the track bar.
3. Binding b/t the tie rod and draglink at the arm.

SO here it is.....Any of you guys done this? If so do you have pictures? I think that the PS arms will solve problems 2 and 3 but that still leaves #2. I know I need to relocate the track bar mount on the axle and get a longer track bar but then I am worried about it clearing the spring and steering. Any insight would be great and pictures would be the best......Speaking of, here is a shitty shot of my steering (sorry.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Kraqa/randoms/1sailbrook.jpg (http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/sailbrooks/?)

P.S. I had to buy the blinging hood to make my engine fit, those are shop tires and the flares are so I can drive my heap in Maine so FAWK off about that stuff:overkill: . I am glad we could clear that up.

JpRngr
04-07-2006, 01:31 AM
So, I assume it's the F250 D44 in your sig since you didn't specify otherwise? If so, that's the same axle we have in the front of my wife's ZJ. We are using the Poison Spider arms and they work alright. Are your brackets stock or RE'S? We are using RE's. Steering clears everything but stock style sway bar brackets (although some grinding may be necessary elsewhere). We still need to figure something for the sway bar.
Biggest thing with the track bar is that it's PARALLEL with the draglink! It can be a different length(i.e. shorter). We had a TB that was about the same length as the DL and in the stock location and the Jeep drove like crap! I made a new bracket on the axle to make them parallel, but now they're different lengths. Her Jeep now drives awesome.:driving:

Also, with the PS arms, make sure to attach the DL as close to the knuckle as possible. We started with the furthest out to try and get good clearance, but the turning radius sucked. The closer you get to the knuckle, the better your turning radius.

If you want pics, I can see about taking some this weekend.

Corey

Cue-Ball
04-07-2006, 02:40 AM
I love the hood where did you get it??

sailbrooks
04-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Thanks a bunch for the reply. It is the D44 f250 front with claytons high clearance brackets. I am trying to figure out my sway bar mounts as well but I figure that I will take it one step at a time.

I sorta figured the length didn't matter but that reaffirms it....thanks. Does she run a steering stabilizer now? Also is her DL closer to the axle than the tie rod (is it in the middle hole or the one closest to the axle?) If so did it affect steering effort? I plan on doing hydro assist eventually.

If you don't mind taking some pictures this weekend; it would be very helpful. My jeep is in Maine and I am in Mass. so it would be cool to have a clear idea of what I need to do next weekend when I go work on it. Thnaks again!

sailbrooks
04-07-2006, 02:59 AM
Re: Double Double High Steer Anybody?
I love the hood where did you get it??

I got it from www.carhoods.com (http://www.carhoods.com) . I think that they are the only people making one for grands. I would have made one myself but I had a time crunch and I figure that I can make a mold from this one. It is decent quality and fit great. Now all I have to do is make a carbon and kevlar one with scraps from work so I have one that I won't put a rock or winch cable through. It is double layer and had enough clearance for the hemi once I removed the inner layer.......ooooooo functional cowl.....bling bling.

sailbrooks
04-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Any more insight/pictures anybody?

Kraqa
04-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Dude read the rules that pic is too big. I resized it for you. Nextime please take the time to do it your self.

sailbrooks
04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Sorry....didn't realize. Next time I will. So......no more insight into double high steer?

MrFreeze5
05-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Do you mean crossover steering? Where the tie rod and drag link are completely seperate and mounted through different holes on the hi steer arm? Or double hi steer with the tie rod behind the axle? Im guessing you mean the first one. I ask because Im trying to fit double hi steer with the tie rod behind the axle and have run into a few issues so far that Im trying to figure out as well.

zj-monster
05-08-2006, 10:34 PM
I had to buy the blinging hood to make my engine fit,

Hey...I have that very same hood. Hopefully you havent cut it out yet. It need s a LOT of work to fill in the baffles and make sure that you haven't cut out a weak spot. There are also dead spots in the hood that have to be filled in. If air were to rush in those dead spots, then you're engine wouldn't be getting the air that a cowel hood provides.

Sorry for getting off-toppic...