PDA

View Full Version : long arm stuff

BlackDiamondBound
04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
people who are running long arms, do you still have the front sway bar? my steering hits the sway bar end link mounts, and when i put long arms on next week i was thinking of just cutting the links off and ditching the sway bar. how does it handle w/ no sway bar on la's?

also do a lot of you run limiting straps? if so whats your setup like?

Cue-Ball
04-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Danny,

Once my LA's go in I am planning to run limit straps for sure. Can't afford to blow out shocks all the time like Chase used to do.

As for the sway bar I can't answer that one, I can tell you I have a 1.25 Addco up front now and will have an Addco in the rear when the LA's happen.

BlackDiamondBound
04-03-2006, 06:01 PM
thanks for the info Dirk, any idea how you are going to mount your limiting straps?

Cue-Ball
04-03-2006, 06:04 PM
In the rear I am just going to mount them with the same bolts I use to mount the shocks, not sure what we are going to do in the front yet.

MUDDTRACKS
04-03-2006, 08:33 PM
I ditched the front and rear sway bar. But i will be putting the front back on.

With LA's and lift the jeep is going to lean in the turns alot. Not to mention if the wind blows hard on the highway. Now that is fun

I have been riding with out the sway bars for the last year but now i want it to handle better on the road.

I think you can solve the problem with hitting the swaybar by redrilling the hole about 1" back and cutting the extra off

nate
04-03-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't run swaybars or limit straps. It's not bad on the road. Does lean a bit, but not that bad. Plus I put like 2000 miles a year on the Jeep, so I'm not too concerned about road manners.

goldensd
04-03-2006, 11:40 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend leaving that sway bar on. You will likely have to raise the lower mounts to gain some clearance, but I know that without the swaybar my jeep floats all over. I'm actually working on getting my rear bar to fit back on. I don't mind the rear off too much on the road, but on the an off-camber trail things get scary fast without either hooked up.

As for you front limit strap, either make or buy some adapters to eliminate the top stud type shock, and then you can go from shock mount to mount. I'm using the superlift straps which have a slight offset in them, and like them.

LouisianaZJ
04-04-2006, 12:11 AM
all you have to do is raise the axle mounts up and out of the way. cut them off and extend them straight up with some like 1/2" or 3/4" bar

jsteves
04-04-2006, 12:25 AM
i have had both off for bout a year. no plans to put the rear one back in, but i will put the front back in more for safety during sudden moves, like avoiding dip shit high schoolers on the roads.

BlackDiamondBound
04-04-2006, 12:44 AM
thanks for the info guys. i will just move the swaybar mounts up and keep the swaybar. i didnt relize all you had to do for limting straps was use the shock mounts. i already have the front conversion shock loop hook up, so looks like i just need to get some straps.

nate
04-04-2006, 01:05 AM
I just use the shocks. They'll hold up.

LouisianaZJ
04-04-2006, 01:23 AM
note: on the XJ i only run a front sway bar. pretty stable, but i have leaf springs out back.

i have run it w/o sway bars f/r. not too bad. no DW or anything,,, but twisty roads at 45+ mph major understeer

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Anyone who has seen my rig on the curvy roads of Murphy @ tellico can tell you no swaybars is a bad idea. I was running 4" and 33's and it was still about to tip over going around most curves. I would leave both in and just disconnect the front while wheeling.

Like LAZJ said, just modify the mounts.

BlackDiamondBound
04-04-2006, 03:07 AM
just modify the mounts.

i will, Hey nate, you havnt ripped a shock off yet? remember chase aka goingoffroad on nagca, he broke a couple shocks when he didnt have limiting straps, i want to have to buy new shocks every time i go wheeling. but its been fine for you?

Cue-Ball
04-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Limit straps are cheap insurance.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-04-2006, 11:27 AM
bumpstops also help if you don't want to deal with limit straps.