PDA

View Full Version : Gloves

TrojanMan
04-01-2006, 02:00 PM
What kind of gloves do you guys use? Right now i'm using the cheapest mechanix gloves.. the 10 dollar specials. They're decent but they wear out really quickly. I want to get a better one, but I was wondering if you guys have any particular brand that lasts longer and protects well. I'm also thinking about getting a mechanix or craftsman pair that has the little light bulb on the index fingers:rock:

I know, it's not a hardcore shop tool.. but protecting your hands is important.

BigDaveZJ
04-01-2006, 02:04 PM
I usually stick with the Mechanix Wear gloves. I go through probably 4 or 5 pairs a year. I recently picked some up from Home Depot, I forget the name of them, but they've worked well. There's some grippy material on the finger pads that is really nice to have, but it has worn off. I think they say Boxer on them, but I don't know who actually makes them. They're gray and black with some yellow on them.

ILikeMud
04-01-2006, 11:10 PM
I use Mechanix gloves too.

I don't often wear gloves though, from working with lathes, mills and what not.

nate
04-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Gloves for what?

I wear my welding gloved for welding, sometimes for grinding. Nitrile gloves if I'm messing with nasty oil or whatever. Otherwise I just use my hands.

Mtn WJ
04-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I use the cheapy mechanic gloves too. The work just as well as the 20 dollar gloves and after they get too saturated with grease and oil you can just toss them.

Krash80
04-05-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm a glove nazi...i've got different gloves for everything i work on. For light general wrenching I use the cheap mechanix/craftsman gloves w/ no padding. For heavier work (changing big truck tires, jeep suspensions/axles, etc) I use the expensive but well padded mechanix impact gloves and they've saved my knuckles countless times. For messy gear work or fluid changes or other messy light work I use either the cheap brown jersey gloves, the cheap latex exam gloves, or the cheap jersey gloves over the cheap latex exam gloves to give me a little padding but keep my hands clean. For lathe/mill/drill or other maching work I use either cheap mechanix gloves or cheap jersey gloves w/ latex gloves underneath to keep the oils off my hands. For heavy duty messy work (changing big truck driveshafts or brakes, axle/suspension stuff on greasy old jeeps), I use the cheap but thick 8$ cloth/leather work gloves (kinda like landscap gloves) from ace hardware. For painting I've been using multiple layers of latex exam gloves but found out the other day that lacquer thinner eats right through them, and then eats through my skin, and then causes my skin to rot and peel off underneath the (not cool!), so I probably need to get some heavy duty nitrite (nitrile?) gloves for that. And for novelty use like camping or offroad trips or simply walking out to the dark shop on a cold night, i use my blingin' mechanix gloves with the fingertip LED's in them...they're not super bright, but give you just enough light to see where you're walking or find your keys or hook up a trailer to a truck or whatever...i just don't want to get them dirty cause they were expensive and probably aren't super durable if you abuse them. And of course I use welding gloves for welding...the big heavy duty ones for stick welding and the thinner softer pig skin ones for MIG welding. And then when I go out with the ladies on a cold night I wear schnazzy black leather gloves to match my black leather jacket cause I'm a badass.

My gloves last me a long time though....when they get super greasy I wash a bunch of them at a time in the washing machine with hot water and dishwashing (grease cutting) soap and they come out like new. When the fingertips on my mechanix gloves start ripping apart I just cut the fingertips off and then have gloves that look like weight-lifting gloves.

I've probably got about 8 different pairs of mechanix gloves, five or six pairs of cheap landscaping gloves, and a few pairs of misc gloves, and I still have the first set of impact gloves I got several years ago (with no fingers of course)....and I work out in my shop or play in the mud on average probably 3 to 4 days a week. Even my work truck has 3 different pairs of gloves in it. If you dedicate certain gloves to nasty greasy things and certain gloves to clean things and wash them when they get nasty, they'll last a looong time.
For some reason though my hands still are really messed up...I'm 25 years old and the skin on my hands is more cracked and nastier looking than most 50-year-old's.

i'm done with my glove blabbing for now.

Now I just need to start wearing hats...i've cracked my head HARD six times in the past three days on numerous different things underneath one of my trucks...the top of my head is all bumpy and full of scabs now...it's getting kinda frustrating and I have a few more tool indents in the shop walls from pissed-off tool throwings. Maybe I should just wear a helmet at all times everywhere I go.

Mtn WJ
04-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Krash

I have never seen anyone have some much to say about Gloves. What do you think about Hats or Shoes?

4WDSUjordan
04-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Mechanix makes a very extensive line-up of gloves that most people dont even know about. The next time you guys want to purchase gloves do to their website and look at ALL their gloves first. They make a line-up for the Nascar truck mechanics that would also be great for wheelers. They are available to the public just cannot find them in alot of retail stores.

Jordan

CurtP
04-05-2006, 09:31 PM
And when I'm on a ladies night out I wear schnazzy black leather gloves to match my black leather mini-skirt, purse and heels cause I bleed from my snatch.

Fissed. And no, we don't want pictures.

Jim311
04-05-2006, 10:42 PM
I've worn through about 4 pairs of Mechanix MPACT2s... looking for something with finger tips that don't wear out so fast next.

Krash80
04-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Fissed. And no, we don't want pictures.

you bitch. :flipoff2:

and about hats and shoes....about the only hat I wear is an old ghetto looking knit stocking cap when it's hella-cold outside. My head is way too small to wear most baseball caps and with the sides of my head shaved, i look like I'm a cancer victim when I wear a baseball cap.

For shoes I have basically 2 pairs of every kind of shoe that I need....ie. steel toe black boots for work and then normal nice black boots to go with my black leather mini-skirt...then i've also got the same combo of boots in brown. Momma always told me my shoes and my belt had better match, and that I can't wear a brown belt with black shoes, so I've gotta have both kinds of boots in both colors.
I've got shitty duct-taped together worn out gym shoes for wearing with shorts when i'm working in the summer time, and then I've got nice blingy gym shoes for when I'm not working and will be seen in public sporting my pasty-white chicken legs in shorts. For some reason I don't ever wear gym shoes with jeans...only shorts....that's probably due to mom being the fashion police also. And of course I've got both good and shitty gym shoes in high-tops also.
I even have shitty pairs of both brown and black dress shoes for casually dressing up, and then I have nice brown and black dress shoes so I don't look like a scuzzy truck driver at church.
Around the house I wear brown leather slippers to keep my feet dry if I accidentally step in cat puke.
When I'm in Moab I exclusively wear sandals with socks since I conveniently forget my other shoes at home and am too cheap to buy new shoes in Moab (if they even have a shoe store).
They say you can tell a lot about a man by his shoes. If my shoes were to say one thing about me, it would probably be, "this guy doesn't like to be barefoot in public."

nate
04-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Shit!

I have 6 pairs of shoes/boots. 1 pair of steel toe winter boots, 2 pairs of steel toe summers, 1 pair non steel toe, 1 pair slip on shoes and a pair of gym shoes.

I don't wear gloved unless I have to. I'd rather just use my bare hands.

CurtP
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
you bitch. :flipoff2:

Just a FYI - your socks should match your pants, not your blouse :D

Some rules for men to live by: http://www.menswearhouse.com/home_page/guys_guide/gg30_main.jsp?bmUID=1144331460315

I don't have an obsession with gloves - I have several pair of Mechanix gloves for the garage and nitrile gloves when things get nasty. Gave up using latex several years ago since they don't stand up to chemicals. The only other time I wear gloves is when it's really cold out, but they're just black leather Gore-Tex lined gloves - not much to look at.

I do have way too many pairs of shoes though - so there's my affeminate obsession. At last count I had 30 pairs - I have three different pairs of SPD-compatible shoes just for riding my bike. I seem to have a thing for Doc Martens too - that's what most of my shoes are.

Krash80
04-06-2006, 07:58 PM
I've worn through about 4 pairs of Mechanix MPACT2s... looking for something with finger tips that don't wear out so fast next.

One of the pairs of cheapy non-impact crapsman gloves that I have are doubled up with a smoother heavier duty leather around all the fingertips and they've been holding up for a while. That's as opposed to a pair of cheapy Mechanix gloves that I have that are the suede-ish thin leather all the way around the fingertips and are full of holes.