PDA

View Full Version : 4way coil over steeri stabilizer opinions

Forwheelin49
03-23-2006, 11:00 AM
saw these for cherokee's and grand's the other day and wanted to get you all's opinion on it

well here is the link for yall to look at what it is
http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/rtc.htm

Deltron
03-23-2006, 11:23 AM
looks cool but probably overkill for the amount of lift most grands see. my shit is stupid big (around 9"s of lift) and my OME SS still works just fine. know how much they charge for that thing?

Forwheelin49
03-23-2006, 11:46 AM
yea I think it was around 110

it is almost time for a new stabilizer and was just lookin between this and the
old man emu but that 4way seems like a good idea

I run 33's on a 5 inch lift just to let yall know

Cue-Ball
03-23-2006, 01:25 PM
I agree it is a cool idea but seems overkill to me also.

PassRunnerZJ
03-23-2006, 03:29 PM
It seems to me that it will tax your power steering and somewhat marginal steering box even more as it has to overcome the new spring tension in addition to the friction of the tires. Maybe the springs are not that strong, but the it wouldn't be enought tension to re-center the steering in the event of a blow out. In addition if you are working an obstical and have the steering cranked, it will be fighting you too. Now if you have hydro assist then it might be worth looking into it.

Personally my OME steering stablilzer is working just fine and it suffered larger tires and more slickrock on it when Cody M. had it before I got it when i picked up his old axles.

OverkillZJ
03-23-2006, 03:30 PM
That's one of the dumbest SNAKE OIL products I've ever seen.

a SS is there to DAMPEN your steering, not to return it to center. Your alignment does that.

That spring does nothing but look cool, and probably add unneeded strain on the rest of the steering system.

Forwheelin49
03-23-2006, 04:56 PM
i was reading some landcruiser site and they seem to like them, but my money would be better spent on the old man emu

death-mobile
03-23-2006, 09:06 PM
I can see how it would return your steering to center, but only by making your turning ability much harder. It is like a 50/50 nitro charged shock. You push it one way, and it pushes back at you. But the whole reason you get a steering stabilizer is to dampen. If anything, it seems as though this thing would make for a very undampened steer. I wouldn't want my wheel to be tugged back to center if I'm trying to make a tight turn.

PassRunnerZJ
03-23-2006, 11:45 PM
i was reading some landcruiser site and they seem to like them, but my money would be better spent on the old man emu

You have to remember that some LC owners have more money than they know what to do with and the live, somewhat, on the dark side (of leaf springs). I'm a recovering LC owner now that I've seen the light of day, er um, coils on all four corners.:)

ogdak
03-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Looks nice, but is not a usefull upgrade or mod INHO.

redzj
03-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Looks cool but It dosen't seem like a good idea to me. I guess the spring would protect it somewhat. I like my OME.