PDA

View Full Version : little Zj that could: Front end fix

violatedppl
03-16-2006, 02:28 AM
started with a 1997 ZJ, I6, 242, and the usual factory stuff (plus skids) 2 IN RE BB, 31 bfg mt's. K&N fipk, kolak exhaust (coming soon) side and grille painted black for now, with bumpers to come.

violatedppl
03-16-2006, 02:31 AM
a few more

violatedppl
03-16-2006, 02:33 AM
more will come next week, another trip out with the NAGCA bay area crew.

it only took a K5 Blazer 9000 lbs winch and a cherokee as an anchore to get be out. a nice lifted yota with duel cases tried and failed. It sucks being the smallest one of the group

violatedppl
04-11-2006, 02:21 AM
got my exhaust from nick put on today, sounds great noticed a little performance gain. but it sound good and thats what matters

ZachJ
04-11-2006, 02:24 AM
How was frank raines? this is zach from the HH trip.

LouisianaZJ
04-11-2006, 02:28 AM
get some skids for that thing... :)
is there a t-case skid under there? did not see it in the pics

violatedppl
04-11-2006, 02:29 AM
it was cool until I spent about 90% of my day trying to get off that damn rock. after that my tranny was all fd up. when I was in 4lo it seemed fine, but in 4hi or 2hi I couldnt move until the rpms got about 1500 than I would finally start moving. and I had to get to like 50 MPH and let off the gas to get it to drop into 3rd it sucked. It was my fualt for listening to a crappy spotter and actually going where they told me. I got the skids just not for the tranny. everyone wanted to pull me forward. ge thats only the xfer case cross member, it was a frustrating day. it almost took out my LCA mount, oil/tranny pan, got a couple of nice nics in my front axle. at this height rocks kinda suck. I was thinking about cRustys tranny skid but I have heard to many fitment issues. mybe some 1/4 in plate connected to the crossmember and the passanger side LCA mount. I just see the little loop over thing he uses as a big hassel when it comes to flexing, and limiting up travel

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-11-2006, 02:33 AM
yeah.... what LAZJ said. Stock TC skids suck...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Puma297/URE27.jpg

violatedppl
04-11-2006, 02:36 AM
I missed out on the pentration, but the forplay was good enough for me

Cue-Ball
04-11-2006, 11:16 AM
I missed out on the pentration, but the forplay was good enough for me

:smt043

violatedppl
04-25-2006, 12:36 AM
another update, new rear storage/ cover my crap up to keep the peeking eyes out.

violatedppl
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
got the new skid from AW up and on, had to take it down to clearance it for the xfer case. well It was sort of jammed up and as I went to yank it down( FYI 70 lbs skid plate stuck in the air, dont pull it down. it will slice that finger right open, and will hurt like hell) well my finger went between the skid and the floor jack and open it right up. no brake, but it has to be one of the worste pains I have ever had. worse that waking up from surgery with eight 2 inch long steel pins in 8 toes. this put that to shame.

Cue-Ball
05-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Yea I knew that thing was going to be heavy.

violatedppl
05-08-2006, 07:00 PM
thing is Im not sure if I should goto the DR. and see if its broken, or have him stich it up. cause it wont stop bleeding. and their is some flesh sticken out. kind of a white puffy lookin stuff, nut puss but the kinda meat that is supossed to be on the inside of the skin.

Cue-Ball
05-08-2006, 07:02 PM
thing is Im not sure if I should goto the DR. and see if its broken, or have him stich it up. cause it wont stop bleeding. and their is some flesh sticken out. kind of a white puffy lookin stuff, nut puss but the kinda meat that is supossed to be on the inside of the skin.

Okay I think that is enough information now.

Thanks.

violatedppl
05-08-2006, 07:15 PM
want more pics?

Cue-Ball
05-08-2006, 07:16 PM
think I will pass on more pix.

violatedppl
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
more pics of my fucked up finger, post dr visit

nate
05-09-2006, 01:36 PM
For something minor like that, I wouldn't have gone to the hospital. I about cut my finger off with an ax splitting kindling once. My Dad said I was a pussy, so I wrapped it up with paper towels and duct tape and kept on splitting wood. Finger still works fine.

When I smashed my foot, it was worthless to go to the hospital. I did just because of work. Dr. told me it was broke... nothing they could do about it. Waste of time.

violatedppl
05-09-2006, 02:26 PM
I plit it open around 11, it didnt stop bleeding until 945 when they put that crap on it. I wasnt going to go, that whole living at home thing, yeah...

violatedppl
05-13-2006, 08:41 PM
couple of new flex pics from today. I had maxed out the front brake lines, dont know if it would drop more but their was alot of tension on that line. Oh yeah AW, that skid is fkn awsome. came down on it hard many a times and nothing. In those flex pics thats whats holding the jeep up. I backed up and their was a big ass flat spot where it was, I must say its pure beef

Cue-Ball
05-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Good deal Garrett.

ZachJ
05-13-2006, 11:44 PM
I wish I could have joined you but I had work. Maybe we can organize another trip in a couple weeks. After I get new shocks and brake lines. BTW nice flex, how was the terrain, was it all washed out, and did they get rid of the rock ledges in the rock quarry.

OverkillZJ
05-14-2006, 10:07 AM
It's nice to see someone wheeling what they've got when it's not huge.

violatedppl
05-14-2006, 01:06 PM
yeah, my buddy got RE's XJ LA on his, so he was kinda excited to get out. but I think me kevin, and my buddy are going again in 2 weeks. but it wasnt to bad, really dusty but they did some work on the quary so it was a little different. remember where that TJ went up last time. I almost got all the way up but the dirt was just to thin. I was just diggin myself in. but it was a fun day. really bad sun burn in the wife beater tan line. Also does anyone know a good way to get me flex in the front brake line. thats what was holding up that front tire, and Im not to comfortable with that. just looking for suggestions

Rubber Chuck
05-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Your jeep is looking good...Kinda wish I got mine stock and started wheelin it then.
As far as your brake lines are concerned....when I re-did my lift and put the 4.5" springs on it...I needed longer hoses. I ordered YJ front hoses.....Plenty long enough.
HTH

ZachJ
05-14-2006, 02:32 PM
From the pic it looks like you still have the brake line holder connected to the frome still you can remove that and that will give you some more flex. It worked for me at 3.5" not to much at 5.5".

violatedppl
05-14-2006, 11:59 PM
yeah Ill do that tommarrow

violatedppl
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I think stealth said he was going up on the 26, I think Ill join him so someone could pull him out. I think my buddy with the XJ is going to go as well. it would be nice to have a little more company if anyone else is intrested.

ZachJ
05-15-2006, 09:28 PM
I might be able if I can my heep 100% before then.

violatedppl
05-16-2006, 01:16 AM
if you need help let me know.

MBATF
05-16-2006, 02:47 AM
I think stealth said he was going up on the 26, I think Ill join him so someone could pull him out. I think my buddy with the XJ is going to go as well. it would be nice to have a little more company if anyone else is intrested.

I have a new Warn winch installed, you:booya:

And I am planningthe trip to HH on May 28th Sunday.:smt040. And I think that Would be the lst trip I would go with the S4W, after that I am gonna try to buy teh long arms and get them installed by AW. No longer have the times to wrench on my rig anymore...:mad:

violatedppl
05-16-2006, 03:03 AM
so its the 28th than. did you ever do that xfer swap?

Cue-Ball
05-16-2006, 03:17 AM
Would love to go too, BUT with recenly moving and working till midnight all week this week and next week, I can't. I think I need to work on the neighbors Exploder that weekend also.

violatedppl
05-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I know your busy, but well get a chance in june.

MBATF
05-17-2006, 04:03 AM
so its the 28th than. did you ever do that xfer swap? Yeap, just finished up swaping some parts today. And have been running into some troubles so it been delaying till tonite. Sofar the TC is bolted and rear shaft is connected, only thing left to do is grind down the teeth on the front out put yoke tomorrow and then bolt up teh front DS and will be ready to go!...well...still have to change teh front break pads....and change Tranny fluids, that about it till I get the Clayton!:coffee:

violatedppl
05-28-2006, 11:59 PM
got a couple of more pics today, should get more from my buddy who went as well. it seems when we go out we should switch cameras cause I never get pics of my own rig. also learned that the bumper really needs to meet the saw, and I need some wheel spacers.

ILikeMud
05-29-2006, 12:30 AM
That's some nice flexing.
I saw ditch the bumper totally.

violatedppl
05-29-2006, 01:11 AM
that whole livin with parents thing, yeah bumpers staying on. if it wasnt such a pain in the ass I would take it off when I went wheelin, like I do the rear but since its such a pain I will just trim a little

ILikeMud
05-29-2006, 01:16 AM
I understand ya.
I still live with the parents but they seem to put up with the Jeep pretty good lol.

violatedppl
05-29-2006, 12:04 PM
their cool with the jeep thing, but I think if my dad came home and saw me with a sawzall in my hand his understanding would be me not driving. but the bumpers can get cut a little

ZachJ
05-30-2006, 02:10 AM
Just trim your bumpers and see what they do, or you could say it got torn off wheeling :D. I wish I could have gone, maybe another run on june 12 when Im finally done with school.

violatedppl
05-30-2006, 02:37 AM
mybe we could do that, than another two weeks is the BBQ which I am hoping alot of people will be going too.

Cue-Ball
05-30-2006, 09:29 AM
mybe we could do that, than another two weeks is the BBQ which I am hoping alot of people will be going too.

You and I both Garrett.

Dirk

violatedppl
05-31-2006, 10:59 PM
more pics from hollister on 5-28

violatedppl
05-31-2006, 11:05 PM
some more misc. pics from that day, including my buddys XJ on LA. nice but he needs to trim. the tow off was kinda dumb, not going to decent mounting pounts and neither of them moved that much.

ZachJ
06-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Looks like fun, I need to go wheeling so bad.

Cue-Ball
06-01-2006, 01:00 AM
We are planning some light wheeling after my BBQ on the 24th.

ZachJ
06-01-2006, 01:06 AM
what is the terrain like up there? I think we are getting an HH run together on june 12.

violatedppl
06-01-2006, 10:37 AM
the terrain is fine, really light dirt, easy to dig yourself in if your trying just the force your way up something. Like that hill the crazy dude in the TJ went up, I almost made it up that last time but just kept digging my ruts deeper. but even driving around you can really feel your tires are slipping alot on the dust.

violatedppl
06-12-2006, 10:09 PM
a few more of today, Ill get some more up of the group later. I found out now I need to trim the fenders now, does this ever end?

ogdak
06-13-2006, 12:14 PM
nice pic's,
start trimming?

Cue-Ball
06-13-2006, 12:17 PM
No it NEVER ends.

I too need to trim some out, I am planning to take out all the way to the crease, just going to cut right along the crease the entire length of the fenders, and then trim the TR bumper to match that line.

Of course this is not high on my list.

MBATF
06-13-2006, 02:18 PM
more pics from my buddy's camera

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jgvlanderos/album?.dir=/7781scd&.src=ph&.tok=phRcQBFBhipMV65U

violatedppl
06-13-2006, 11:33 PM
got a few more pics, I also ordered longer bump stops for the front just never had time to put them in. just a little less flex and Ill do a little more triming

violatedppl
08-07-2006, 01:33 AM
new picks of the install of the rock ring donated by jeepers and creepers, sorry its taken so long but it got to the point of takin the 5 minutes and getting out their and doing it.

AprilzWarrior
08-08-2006, 11:01 PM
I might be retarted... but I think youre SUPPOSED to weld on a guard to the ring...

example...
http://fototime.com/91F8AAB8B7F189E/standard.jpg

Nice finger :smt046

AW

violatedppl
08-08-2006, 11:06 PM
not from what I got, but its a good idea. when school starts up again Ill do something like that. what did you use by the way, just 1/4 in flat stock? and AW think you could plasma cut a little square out of that skid. Need to make a little mod to stop my vib problems.

LouisianaZJ
08-08-2006, 11:25 PM
yeah, weld a guard onto the ring. w/o the guard it is kind of pointless other than stopping the cover from peeling back which is alot less likely (and much cheaper) than a dent in your gears

violatedppl
06-09-2007, 11:45 PM
A little update, as some of you know or have read about my little problem with ball joints, and steering boxs. Finally got the jeep rolling again. Still need an alignment which I will take care of tommarrow morning. Basically rebuilt the front suspension. All new ball joints TRE's, new lower control arms, bushings were shot and beat to shit so.... oh and the fun part was the new steering box. Ripped an ear off of the old on I have no clue how but.... It was a fun morning at the junk yard, I dont think Ive ever been this sore after working on a vehicle. That box got fkn heavy. Well heres the damage to the box, one broken ear and one bent bolt. It had atleast 3/4 of play when I turned the wheel, didnt know it until I was looking at it while my Dad turned the well and went ah shit. Now just new shocks, steering stabalizer and prob new bushings for the uppers. but that will have to wait.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
07-03-2010, 03:34 AM
well my finger went between the skid and the floor jack and open it right up. no brake, but it has to be one of the worste pains I have ever had. worse that waking up from surgery with eight 2 inch long steel pins in 8 toes. this put that to shame.

Are you ok?