PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about Saab's?

Creech
03-13-2006, 02:28 PM
My DD is a 91 900Turbo Saab. It's ugly as shit, but I love it. Anyway, took off to go get some tacos Saturday afternoon in it, and it was acting weird. It started bucking and jerking like a virgin getting rooted by the Hedgehog himself. It was like sombody was intermittently choking it, letting go, and then choking again. I just recently cleaned the TB and idle control valve. Any ideas or suggestions?

KansasCrawlin
03-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Well it sounds like it probably dosen't like the smell of you on saturdays after eating tacos.:smt116

Creech
03-14-2006, 09:15 AM
It was probably that order of refried beans I ate too.

I found some Saab forums, and they told me some shit to do. Spent $130 on misc crap last night at Advance, so if the rain ever lets up around here, I might be able to get it fixed.

Snowman
03-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Gee, I donno ... sounds like just another Saab story.:smt046

MarkCO
03-21-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't know much about Saab's but I'm a pretty fair wrench where turbos are concerned.

It's hard to say based on your description, but lurching can be caused by a number of factors including:

Issues with fuel control or fuel delivery
Over-lean condition (pre-detonation)

Both of these are really closely related. I would check the following:

Fuel pressure
Fuel filter (really filthy fuel filters can cause a drop in pressure)
Pull and inspect fuel injectors for evidence of clogging
Check the turbo shaft for signs of play, make sure it moves smoothly and doesn't move laterally.

Check wastegate solenoid and make sure that it is actually moving, I've seen situations where the wastegate is stuck in the closed state. This would mean that you have unlimited boost. Unlimited boost is very very bad

Build a pressure tester, and connect it to the turbo inlet. Set your air compressor to your boost setting, start flowing compressed air through the turbo. Increase the pressure 1PSI at a time, and make sure that your boost control system opens the waste gate at the right PSI value.

I don't know if 91 Saabs are ODB compliant, but it will be a lot easier to troubleshoot if you can connect a data logger and read the codes. You can also use this to look for pre-detonation.

Good luck, like I said start off by looking at fuel delivery, fuel control, and boost control

Creech
03-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Turned out to be the coil breaking down. I had a new set of Magnecor wires for it anyway, so I went out and got new plugs, rotor button, cap, and coil. Put those on with a new turbo bypass valve and thermostat, and the car runs like a dream now.

I keep finding stuff to fix on this thing. I bought it in August while I was still in Iraq. I've only been home since the last part of January, so I'm not real familiar with everything on it, but I'm learning. The car is not ODB compliant. It has a Lucas fuel management system version 2.4. That much I know. Turbo side of the house is controlled by a Saab APC system. The two have completely seperate "brains" at either end of the car. The ignition system is also it's own entity. I found a good BBS to get information and also a Saab mechanic fairly close that I can call for advice. I just hate picking his brain and not paying him for it.

disneydave
04-21-2006, 11:01 PM
saabforum.com is a good place to look for help.

I have a 2K 93 Viggen...that has been lowered, stiffened, and given more power...

funny the jeep gets taller and the saab gets lower.