PDA

View Full Version : Add A Leafs

nate
03-12-2006, 01:03 AM
I know ZJs don't usually have leafs, but I was thinking maybe some of you guys have worked on other rigs.

I'm thinking about putting 2" add a leafs in the back of my truck, to get the back up a bit (it's a bit saggy right now).

Anyone recomend a brand? I can get Tuff Country for $70 shipping, Skyjacker for $90 shipped.

OverkillZJ
03-12-2006, 01:30 AM
I can safely tell you to NOT use cRusty's :D

Added it to my brothers XJ, twice. He's broken all 4 leaf packs at this point, including the damn add a leaf.

The concept seamed to work though, id you didn't buy CRAP!

BlaineWasHere
03-12-2006, 02:40 AM
My brother is thinking abut doing AAL in the back of his XJ vs. Full leafs... He was thinking RE... what kinda truck are we talking about?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Nate, if this is for your dodge I would think skyjacker would probably be the best bet. I doubt you're going to break an AAL just DDing and towing the jeep every now and then. I put skyjacker AAL's on a friends ranger (street queen) and they have been holding up well for a long while.

nate
03-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah it's for my Dodge... 98 Ram 2500.

It's got a leveling kit on it, bascially a 2" lift in the front. Which is fine, though it makes the back look like it's sagging. So I was figuring I could just lift the back a bit. The truck has towed heavy most of it's life, so the springs are sagged some. I was figuring an AAL will be a cheap way of adding more life to the springs before I have to buck up and buy new springs packs.

I thought one side was crunched down more than the other, but what it was is the rear bumper was all twisted. One of the previous owners must of been an old man... and you know how well most of them drive. haha. Well he jackknifed a trailer into the back bumper. I was able to twisted it back into place. From framerail to the ground I'm at 29 1/4" on one side and 29 3/8" on the other side, so the truck itself is very close to level side to side.

I think I'm going to go with the Skyjacker. I don't remember hearing anything bad about them. Tuff Country seems more of a cheaper brand IMO.

I just bought some new Bilstein 5100 shocks for the truck, so I'll just send them back and get the ones for a 2" lift.

crashfabdzj
03-12-2006, 02:09 PM
I had aal's in the front of my '00 F350 as a leveling kit....worked fine.

aresridingflat
03-12-2006, 02:22 PM
buddy of mine had a RE aal in his xj and it's sagging like crazy not even six months afterwards...

thought about just buying a leaf pack from a junk yard and making a hybrid pack similar to how you can swap in s10 springs in an xj? another friend of mine is swapping new leaf packs from some chevy into his old ram charger to net about 3" of lift

Will

BlaineWasHere
03-12-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't know much about AAL's but don't they make the ride much harsher?

rob92xj
03-12-2006, 03:48 PM
A friend of mine used Skyjackers 3" lift on his 97 Ram std cab short bed and the rear sits about 1.5-2" lower than the front. He said if he were to do it again he would use the Dick Cepek long arm kit for the Rams.
I have a Rusty's AAL on my XJ for going on 3years now with out any problems and I used to tow a 24ft boat or a travel trailer with it. But now with the 03 DOdge I have retired the XJ from towing duty.
By the way Dodge trucks do sit 1 -1.5" higher on the right side to counter engine torque.

PassRunnerZJ
03-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Why not take it to a suspension shop and have them re-arch the springs if it is saggy with no load that way your ride won't go to hell. That is what I did for my FJ40 when it started sagging in the rear, especially the driver's side. It was around $100 to get the rears re-arched plus a little and the whole rig leveled out with some extra re-arch in the front.

However if you tow a lot and carry a lot, then AAL would be the way to go. Perhaps, check some of the full size truck sites to see if you can get an idea on what works best.