PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please talk me out of this, and into waiting for a diesel.

OverkillZJ
03-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Man would this be nice for my job. It's at a company that went under, and I have a feeling if I show up with half of the asking price in cash I'd probably leave with a truck.

It's got an obvious rear main leak, and some rust spots in the bed that'd need the diamond plate replaced.

460 is what, 2MPG? :mrgreen:

I haven't called yet and couldn't make out the vin through the window, just snapped some pics with my phone while passing by and crawled under it a little.

Anyone know of a good site to get info on, like autos.msn.com or somethign like it? (MSN doesnt have info on anything back to 90.)

OverkillZJ
03-07-2006, 09:16 PM
More pics

Snowman
03-07-2006, 09:37 PM
:rant:
How much mileage does it have?:confused:

Does it have four wheel drive?:confused:

Do you want to lug all the weight from the boxes built into the back?:confused:

Now take a deep breath and ask yourself what you reallywant. A cheap price is not a bargin if it is not something that meets you needs.:rant:

Great now I have either pushed you over the edge and you will rush out and buy it or you have cooled off and are searching for a diesel:best:

I will kick ass for free. Good Rates Available!

OverkillZJ
03-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Rant? I want it FOR the boxes in the back dummy :finga:

Yes, 4wd, notice the hubs, and the big "4X4" on the windshield? Oh ya, 72,000 miles, like it says in the picture!

It's what I want minus the engine pretty much.

Snowman
03-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Good now that we have that understood, when are you picking it up?

ATL ZJ
03-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to talk you out of it.. Because I need it. :mrgreen:

Actually, it really sucks that's a gasser, because otherwise, it's perfect, price and all..

BigDaveZJ
03-07-2006, 09:59 PM
It's not a child molestor van.

Buy it.

If they take $1500 for it, you're getting a good deal.

zj-monster
03-07-2006, 10:08 PM
If they take $1500 for it, you're getting a good deal.

Damn right...

Since this will be a company vehicle, surely you can get somewhat of a small company tax break, yes?

napajeep
03-07-2006, 10:58 PM
You can expect it to use quite a bit of oil. The 460's are notorious for using oil, even when brand new. Mileage will be around 10 mpg depending on how much weight you put in the boxes. It will be close to that going up hill, down hill, coasting, doesn't matter, always the same.

OverkillZJ
03-07-2006, 11:28 PM
I asked you bastards to talk me OUT of it, not INTO it :D

I'm going back tomorrow morning to get the VIN, sun was at a bad angle today. This is just over a mile from my house, I could push the damn thing home ;)

ExNews4XJ
03-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Well I can say from experience that the 460 is evil. I had that exact same truck only it was an 86' but it would vapor lock, over heat, use and leak oil, and the worst thing was the exhaust manifold bolts. One by one they will break off and then it's time to drill them out and use grade 8 ones to replace them which is not fun at all. 1500 would be a good price for that truck as it looks clean and not abused. I would still wait for a diesel. My current truck is 88' F250, extra cab 4x4, 7.3 diesel and it is a great truck has more power and better gets MPG than the gasser did. I do have a turbo and intercooler on mine but even without turbo's they are still great motors. I'll be the first to say it WAIT FOR A DIESEL!

OverkillZJ
03-07-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm expecting things like bolts that need drilled out and tapped, including evil bolts that are on the block. Shitty maintenance is no worry for me, for some reason I love working on pieces of crap. My favorite project ever was a junkyard Honda I did a complete rebuild on years ago, the "unknown factor" was fun.

I do want a diesel, absolutely. The problem is they're not that common around here, and it comes down to the time and expense of looking at them elsewhere, getting it back here, transferring the title to the state, etc. At the same time, I'm currently thinking that this solution will get the job done. It's not ideal, but it doesn't have to be a permanent solution either.
Finding a diesel with the utility bed I need and everything puts it up in the $12,000 range easily, I can't do it unless I sell of the buggy project which.. well.. then why do I need a truck? ;)

The trucks been painted, my friend thinks he recalls it used to be red. I have a feeling they "really" want to sell this, I'm hoping it's because the business went under, and not because they need to unload the truck. They're selling all 3 trucks they had though, so business going under is most likely the case.

We'll see... I'll find out more about it tomorrow.

rob92xj
03-08-2006, 12:34 AM
I'd buy it if that was what I was looking for.

Krash80
03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Anyone know of a good site to get info on, like autos.msn.com or somethign like it? (MSN doesnt have info on anything back to 90.)

TheDieselStop.com.....then go to forums and the go to "gas engine fords."
should have something that could help you in there.

frankenstang57
03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
$3k is a bit much IMHO, but 72k miles is pretty low for a truck of that vintage. I'm not a big fan of the 460 either. I worked for a company that had a fleet of 'em in E350 vans about the same vintage as that truck. They ran forever, I don't recall any major oil consumption problem, but they were gutless pigs. Gas mileage is more like 7-8 mpg on a good day. I currently own a '96 F250 with a 351 W in it and get about 10 or so. Overall I'm happy with my truck and I'd keep forever if it were a diesel. It works for now though. I just picked a '95 F350 4x4 cab and chassis with a 7.3 auto in it pretty cheap. I had an electrical fire and needs a new cab, but I'm planning on replacing the 250 with it. I guess if you need a truck NOW!!!, like I did, then buy that one. If you can wait a bit, I'd recomend the PS. Then again, you can always buy this truck, and sell it when you get a diesel, or better yet, pull the utility box off it and swap it to the new truck. I've seen a few 250 PS 4x4's go for under $6k out here in Co. on ebay, you may want to look there. Just my 2 cents...:D

OverkillZJ
03-08-2006, 12:02 PM
No A/C, no way! I'll keep looking.

I did the drive to Moab for the last two years with no A/C and swore I'd never do it again.

OverkillZJ
03-08-2006, 12:22 PM
For shits and giggles, if anyone has a CarFax account, would you mind running 1FTHX26G1LKA41695 ?

zj-monster
03-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I got it, I'll e-mail it to ya...need your addy or I'll just post it all on here for all to see.

nate
03-08-2006, 05:50 PM
That truck would be fine for contractor work and what not, but you sure aren't going to pick up babes with it.

Diesels are nice, but if your not pulling a trailer much, I wouldn't waste the money. They last longer, but maintenance is more expensive, as well as fuel.

chadjans
03-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Its ugly. Convincing done.

luvthejeep
03-10-2006, 09:20 AM
tose boxes are sick for spare parts and whatnot- an measure between them i bet 4 40 would fir perfect :)

OverkillZJ
03-10-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm waiting, if it was a diesel w/ A/C I'd jump on it and put time into making it "less ugly" - but as it is, Steve's got a truck that we can tow my buggy to GSW with, so I'm waiting for something better to come along.

The carfax ZJ-Monster sent me helped, the thing only had the mileage reported once 5 years ago, which means that they've been buying inspection stickers instead of getting it inspected (which costs < $100 for a class 2 truck) - that usually means something's wrong.

chadjans
03-10-2006, 02:42 PM
tose boxes are sick for spare parts and whatnot- an measure between them i bet 4 40 would fir perfect :)

And heavy as shit. Why take away from your towing capacity?

nate
03-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Keep looking Matt and you'll find a deal. I got my 98 CTD for $12000... Books for $16500 last I checked.

OverkillZJ
03-10-2006, 04:00 PM
And heavy as shit. Why take away from your towing capacity?

I think you missed the point: Need covered / protected storage. Regular bed won't do. I need a truck w/ utility bed/ tool boxes or van.

nate
03-10-2006, 04:22 PM
A truck with a canopy wouldn't work? Yeah yeah I know you said it needs to be heated, but it would be easy to plug a little 12v heater in and throw it in the bed.

A couple thousand dollar truck is fine for around town and all, but I wouldn't trust it going cross country without putting $$ into it.

luvthejeep
03-11-2006, 01:53 AM
I think you missed the point: Need covered / protected storage. Regular bed won't do. I need a truck w/ utility bed/ tool boxes or van.

wait a sec you can buggy a uni-bodys grand but you cant fab up some storage space on a truck bed? comeon man- i know you got alot of projects but that pretty easy imo- i dont know how much those boxes are but see how much they are- if there alot then buy the truck- find a cheap replacement bed, keep the boxes, and resel the truck for like 2500- a full set of good steel boxes that will bolt up on a ford longbed, or you can cut them up and make them fitt anything, including a trailer for like 500- just a thought

tony

Hurricane 4x4
03-21-2006, 08:02 PM
i just rebuilt a ford 460 with 130K miles... it was running on 5 cylinders - several of the valves had stuck and bent their pushrods to amazing angles, although this particurlar motor was run alot on old gas.. didn't get used much in the last few years

FearTheDentist
04-04-2006, 12:55 AM
I don't know if this will influence your decision, but I know Kevin F. has a utility bed like that which he'd like to sell. If you find a diesel chassis....

KevinF
07-11-2006, 02:35 AM
I don't know if this will influence your decision, but I know Kevin F. has a utility bed like that which he'd like to sell. If you find a diesel chassis....

LOL. You beat me to it. Looks like by several months.

From a recent diesel convert, once you buy one, you never go back. The 95+ Direct Injection 7.3L Fords are a good buy, as are the 12v models of the Cummins that fit your price range. So far I don't agree with the claims of increased maintenance costs with the exception of oil changes. I have three diesels right now...a 6.5L Chevy and two 7.3L Fords, and knock on fake wood paneling, no trouble with any of them. Oh, I replaced the $150 lift pump on the Chevy and a battery or two...but seriously...there ain't much to go wrong with them. They are over-built, run strong, get DECENT mileage (Chevy gets around 14-15 in mixed driving, the Fords get 18-20 in mixed driving), and sound cool as hell. I LOVE the sound of my Fords starting up. The Chevy is kind of old-school tech (indirect injection), but it runs well, always starts, the AC works, and looks decent. Not at all bad for a sub-$5000 investment.

Those utility beds sell for around $300-$800 depending on how "used" they are. Notice that those prices are ABOUT what a typical bed in good condition goes for. So, just buy what you find with a normal bed, hunt down a utility bed with locking cabinets, pay cash, swap beds, and then sell your old one for around the same price. It's a half-day job. I've done it with my Chevy and it was a lot easier than I expected. I'll sell you my Pacific with locking drawers in the front section for $400, which is in very good condition, but needs cleaning and new paint. The problem is getting it from Phoenix to Project Phoenix, lol.

Kevin

99redwj
07-18-2006, 08:47 AM
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=ford+utility+truck&category0= i found many similar to what your looking for
matthew