PDA

View Full Version : Interior lights flashing on and off at night

yardape52
03-03-2006, 09:41 AM
The above topic happens to my 96 ZJ 4.0 whenever I have my jheadlights on. I'm ruling out a bad contact switch in one of the doors as it would happen all of the time,... not just when the headlights are on. A mechanic I called illuded to the fact that there is a box somewhere that controls how long the lights stay on after exiting the car and closing all of the doors. Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening here? I'm guessing there is a relay somewhere that has gone bad. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

fr3db3ar
03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
There is a custom disco option that DC offered only in 96 :goodman:

PA Muddy ZJ
03-03-2006, 10:51 AM
i have a similar problem.. only with my dash lights. anything short of an exorcism hasn't worked.

yardape52
03-03-2006, 11:57 AM
There is a custom disco option that DC offered only in 96
It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion :goodman:

"it just gives me an educated opinion" Hardly. If it was happening to your Jeep I'd find it a laugh riot too.

Anybody else?

zj-monster
03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
As mentioned in another thread, our jeeps are plagued with eletrical problems. Aside from my having alarm problems, I had interior light problems that came down to the driverside door switch.

I unbolted the switch and noticed that the rubber gromet surrounding the switch had eroded. So I made a new one out of thicker material thus ensuring that the switch made more than enough contact with the door. If this sounds a bit wierd then try to think of the gromet as a spacer, I did the same for all the doors. So far I haven't had any problems with my lights comming on.

weiln12
03-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Hey, we have Jeeps, we have electrical issues. Don't take offense to the posts. All comments are made, just deal with them if you don't like them. Everyone is free to comment, you're free to ignore. Yes, people laugh and find it funny with other people's stuff is broken (I know I do, but I laugh when mine breaks too). Sometimes, helps relax the mood.

Anyway, I have problems with mine too. I don't care if people make side comments or anything. Now, if anyone has figured out my dash problem that would rock. Gauges are on/off randomly. Backlights all work, but the gauges are wonked along with door locks, remote entry/alarm, windows, basically everything to the left of the driver. Twice the truck has refused to start, in that it would start and die. Once I couldn't get to work, the other it started after two attempts. Then it threw the MIL, but there are no codes. Prior to the MIL being lit with no codes, I'd narrowed it down (I think) to the S204 splice behind the dash which is the splice for the ground wire for everything on the drivers side. Best I can tell, if this spliced is borked then the door locks/alarm/gauges/windows, nothing will work, which is the case. I don't have time to putz with it until this weekend, so hopefully I'll know more then.

Until then, relax, and always remember, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. Dang, not everything is personal.

yardape52
03-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey, we have Jeeps, we have electrical issues. Don't take offense to the posts. All comments are made, just deal with them if you don't like them. Everyone is free to comment, you're free to ignore. Yes, people laugh and find it funny with other people's stuff is broken (I know I do, but I laugh when mine breaks too). Sometimes, helps relax the mood.

Anyway, I have problems with mine too. I don't care if people make side comments or anything. Now, if anyone has figured out my dash problem that would rock. Gauges are on/off randomly. Backlights all work, but the gauges are wonked along with door locks, remote entry/alarm, windows, basically everything to the left of the driver. Twice the truck has refused to start, in that it would start and die. Once I couldn't get to work, the other it started after two attempts. Then it threw the MIL, but there are no codes. Prior to the MIL being lit with no codes, I'd narrowed it down (I think) to the S204 splice behind the dash which is the splice for the ground wire for everything on the drivers side. Best I can tell, if this spliced is borked then the door locks/alarm/gauges/windows, nothing will work, which is the case. I don't have time to putz with it until this weekend, so hopefully I'll know more then.

Until then, relax, and always remember, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. Dang, not everything is personal.

Geez!!! Since you're in professorial lecture mode perhaps, oh great one, you can explain to me why when given a bunch of sh_t I can't give it back? Perhaps it is YOU that is taking all of this too personally? LOL

fr3db3ar
03-03-2006, 04:26 PM
It's because you typed angry :axe:

nate
03-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Mine was doing that the last time I drove it, a few weeks ago. If it does it again, I'm going to pull the bulbs out.

GrandZJ
03-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Mine does/did it too, I just turned them off by pressing on the rear dome light, it's a switch.

yardape52
03-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Thankyou

KeepItCrunk
03-06-2006, 02:08 AM
im gonna go check out all that... i dislike how every time i come on here and notice somethin new it happens like the next day, happened a few times now...:gay: :smt017
last night ahd a bunch of friends and i took a hard right and random interior lights flashed on then shut fof wicked fast then happened again doin the same thing later on. grrrrr

zj-monster
03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
i took a hard right and random interior lights flashed on then shut off wicked fast

That is exactly what happend to me on my post above. While making right turns the wieght of the vehicle is shifted to the left thus the driver side door switch didn't make full contact with the door itself. (my wierd-o ass theory anyway...) Several times I would push on the door with my elbow while the door was shut & driving on the highway, and the lights would also come on.

Bottom line...all I had to do for mine was re-adjust the door switch. In fact I did this for all the doors.

:-D

yardape52
03-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Yes,... now that I have had the opportunity to play with it a little bit I have found that when I roll down the window the problem stops instantaneously. That act must minutely change the pressure on the door. My dealer wants 17.90 for a new door jamb switch!!! They can be had aftermarket all over the internet for $7.00. While not direct fit they are self tapping and seem like a viable option. The other option which I am gong to try first is getting one of those sticky felt or plastic circles used as furniture pads and apply it to the door where the switch strikes. Can't imagine that won't solve the problem for awhile.

nate
03-11-2006, 02:34 AM
Ok. This is driving me nuts. I pulled the curtesy light fuse and it still does it. I'm about ready to sledge hammer the shit out of everything!

Fucking lights. I should crash the fucking thing and sue Jeep cause they can't make a light that stays off. Fucking retards.

yardape52
03-11-2006, 07:42 AM
The felt pad worked. Actually it appears that a prior owner already had the issue as the place where the switch strikes the door had a small depression in it like someone had done it to give the switch more throw which of course is the reverse direction it need to go in. I suspect this was a known problem when I bought the Jeep last summer but only appears in colder wether when everything puckers. :^ ) Nate I hope you get your lights resolved.

JeepinHank
03-14-2006, 11:14 AM
:smt115 Sweet - I have the same problem. Now I just need to find the time to take care of it. :smt115

nate
03-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Yup, I shimmed the door switch.

How about when you pull the doors off, how do you get the lights to stay off? I was under the impression that you just pull the fuse, but I did that and the lights still work.