PDA

View Full Version : ZJ being gay

Ex-Repoman
03-02-2006, 05:42 AM
so this is my 1st post.. and i posted it over on jeepforums

Ok so today the jeep wouldn't start...

this morning it started up just fine, 1-2 second crank and it fired right up.

went to work, drove out to a jobsite and after it being off for 1.5-2 hours i come back, and she just cranks, i let it sit for a few minutes, curse a few times, try again and after 5 or 6 seconds she fires up... so i'm like to hell with this, i'm getting home and i'll borrow my buddies xj for the rest of the day. I get there turn it off go inside for an hour or so and come out and after 3-4 seconds it fires up. i turn it off, back on fires right up. if i leave if off for about 15-20 minutes it will crank for 2-4 seconds and then fire up...

my battery gauge is sitting a little below 14 when stopped, and kinda looks like its dropping. We didn't do a fuel pressure test, but my buddy pressed the test valve with the ignition on and it sprayed like a mofo. I'm leaning more towards battery then anything else, i just wanted some others insight.

thanks all in advance!

it also pulls a code 11, so theres gotta be something going on with the battery...

fr3db3ar
03-02-2006, 08:03 AM
My vote is alternator, wiring between the two....and battery.

Alternator and battery can be tested for free at AZ. My last issue was a worn out neg connector at the battery.

OverkillZJ
03-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Bad ground, specifically contacts on starter motor (it's very exposed) - some times a starter that's been exposed to a lot of road salt will do this, the relays the smaller cylinder on it.

I'd take your major contact points apart and clean them up with a wire brush.

Beyond that, ya, test your battery and your alternator. But both could be explained by shifty connections.

DJJordache
03-02-2006, 02:46 PM
it's your Flux Capacitor is not generating the 1.21 Jiggwatts!
yeah I'd say try cleaning the contacts , not much road salt here in Houston where its hot as hell:smt077

Ex-Repoman
03-02-2006, 06:46 PM
it's your Flux Capacitor is not generating the 1.21 Jiggwatts!
yeah I'd say try cleaning the contacts , not much road salt here in Houston where its hot as hell:smt077

you haven't heard? the city is filling all the potholes with salt :)

zjmike4
03-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Mine did that a while back and it was the fuel pump. the valve sprayed everytime because there was still backpressure in the line from it running before the test. My alternator went out (on the way to Moab) and I had no warning signs except for a check engine light before it happened.

bigrubbers4x4
03-07-2006, 12:53 AM
i would vote fuel pump, 2 out of 3 of my grands have done this, and on both it was the fuel pump.

rob92xj
03-09-2006, 12:39 AM
My vote is crank sensor or fuel pump

PoorMansZJ
03-09-2006, 02:13 AM
Fuel system for sure... my truck did the same thing for awhile. Replaced the pump and no problems since..... now if I can only afford to put gas in it.

Ex-Repoman
03-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Crankshaft sensor was the problem. wow that was a doozy to get to.. especially in the autozone parking lot..

rob92xj
03-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Good to hear it's fixed.