PDA

View Full Version : Tube doors, Interested?

2000WJkrawler
03-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Hello all, this is my first post. I've been a lifetime jeeper and I'm now getting around to using my fathers machine shop to make whatever and whatnot. Anyway, i made tube doors for my 2000 wj and was wondering if anyone would be interested in sucha contraption. The rear doors and a hatch are coming soon.
www.3designs.eysters.com (http://www.3designs.eysters.com/) :smt031 you can see pics there

ATL ZJ
03-01-2006, 01:30 PM
They look like a baby gate...

Better plan on making that hatch structural since the integrity of the unibody is dependent upon it.

metalman0285
03-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Better plan on making that hatch structural since the integrity of the unibody is dependent upon it.

ive heard people say this a lot and was wondering how true this is. ive seen 3 or 4 cherokees out on trails with no doors/hatches at all and theyve said they have been running there jeeps like that for a while with no negative outcome

Cue-Ball
03-01-2006, 02:10 PM
You need a better picture of the installed product, it is hard to see the actual door on your home page.

ATL ZJ
03-01-2006, 02:22 PM
ive heard people say this a lot and was wondering how true this is. ive seen 3 or 4 cherokees out on trails with no doors/hatches at all and theyve said they have been running there jeeps like that for a while with no negative outcome
Ha, I'll wait for Matt to chime in on this....

Go flex your unibodied Jeep fully.. Then open the hatch. Now try to close it.
If those XJ guys had cages reinforcing their unibodies, that's a different story entirely.

2000WJkrawler
03-01-2006, 02:26 PM
I have heard the structural itegrity bit, but i was wondering how the guys cut away the whole back of a zj and still wheel with it, does it twist the frame?? How can i post a picture??

DCHZJ
03-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Ha, I'll wait for Matt to chime in on this....

Go flex your unibodied Jeep fully.. Then open the hatch. Now try to close it.
If those XJ guys had cages reinforcing their unibodies, that's a different story entirely.

Agreed. I saw Matts Jeep before he cut it up. the unibody was good an twisted. None of the doors closed correctly.
Even with the door and hatch closed you can feel the unibody twist when pushed.

Longarmed WJ
03-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm interested in the tube doors..but i wana see some more pics if u get a chance

Cue-Ball
03-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I have heard the structural itegrity bit, but i was wondering how the guys cut away the whole back of a zj and still wheel with it, does it twist the frame?? How can i post a picture??

When cutting off the back half they have to beef up the unibody to some degree.

To post pix you can do one of two things.

1. Become a Supporting Member and post your pix on the MallCrawlin server.
2. Post your pix to another online service like fototime, photobucket, etc, etc, and then link to it in the thread using [img]

Krash80
03-01-2006, 02:40 PM
To post pix you can do one of two things.

1. Become a Supporting Member and post your pix on the MallCrawlin server.
2. Post your pix to another online service like fototime, photobucket, etc, etc, and then link to it in the thread using [img]

Or in this case if you're pimping your shit on here you can become a Supporting Vendor.

Cue-Ball
03-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Or in this case if you're pimping your shit on here you can become a Supporting Vendor.

Your absolutely right if you are pimping shit here then pony up become a vendor and offer a giveaway!!!!!!

Cue-Ball
03-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Welcome abourd the vendor bus.

OverkillZJ
03-01-2006, 05:27 PM
You're OK without doors (although I'm sure in theory they add SOME rigidity, I doubt it's significant.)

Now the hatch on the other hand... DO NOT OPEN YOUR HATCH FLEXED OUT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE GOING TO ATTEMPT WINCHING SOMEONE'S TWISTED 14 BOLT BACK INTO PLACE!

Ya. Don't do that. And don't baha at about 70 the next day and gain more air than any ZJ should.

If you ditch the hatch, you need a "better" version of what Dave did. I only say better because the metal he used is uber-weak.

Krash80
03-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Now the hatch on the other hand... DO NOT OPEN YOUR HATCH FLEXED OUT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE GOING TO ATTEMPT WINCHING SOMEONE'S TWISTED 14 BOLT BACK INTO PLACE!

What??? So now it's MY fault that your jeep is a POS and had to be hacked into a poser buggy...i see how it is. :flipoff2:

but in all seriousness, i'm not seeing how winching of any sort would do anything to the body with the hatch missing...unless you were flexed out like mad at the time...which I don't remember you being when we tried rigging the 14b.

MBATF
03-02-2006, 12:40 AM
beside teh tube door for the WJ, I was thinking of purchasing a set of driver and passanger doors and have the part above the arm rest cuts off, so then I will still have a functional door and yet have enought room for me to lean out of it to see the ground...Anyone think that would be a good idea???

chadjans
03-02-2006, 12:58 AM
I saw no effects when I removed my doors and threw them into the dumpster other than the jeep got higher and lighter.

OverkillZJ
03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
What??? So now it's MY fault that your jeep is a POS and had to be hacked into a poser buggy...i see how it is. :flipoff2:

but in all seriousness, I'm not seeing how winching of any sort would do anything to the body with the hatch missing...unless you were flexed out like mad at the time...which I don't remember you being when we tried rigging the 14b.

I wasn't just flexed when winching you, I drove over to you flexing both ways with the hatch open to get into a place to winch you. I was being lazy and it owned me. I have video of me driving over there someone shot with my camera, you can actually watch it shift; it looks like an open cereal box being bent side to side! Chad noticed the 1" gap in my rear doors later, so I think something there is what really did the unibody in. I'm sure bahaing after that really didn't help much. When we tried to put the front doors back on, they didn't fit; and by didn't fit i mean they were off by over an inch... We moved the latches around to get them closed, but they never came close to sealing. Made for an interesting beginning to a 1 month offroad trip!

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-02-2006, 06:38 PM

yea i did a good job supervising that day. :smt116

OverkillZJ
03-02-2006, 09:20 PM
yea i did a good job supervising that day. :smt116

Shut up torx bolt :smt065

BlaineWasHere
03-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Tube doors would be BADASS if they were beefy as hell and if they supported the uni-body enough not to be running the real doors.

Rubber Chuck
03-17-2006, 01:17 PM
I think that'd be awesome.....how much for a set of doors for a 93ZJ shipped to 18509

Hey Matt and anyone else who has taken them off.....are the doors a PITA to remove/install?

I agree on needing better pics

DerekL
04-15-2007, 01:38 PM
i want some of these doors, how much?

SuicideTireZJ
04-15-2007, 02:22 PM
Here's essentially what they're talking about. Notice how the rear hatch is all kinds of mis-aligned:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/ZJBuilder/CIMG3624.jpg

DerekL
04-15-2007, 02:51 PM
well just buggy it. easy fix.

H3RESQ
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Personally I think the doors don't look right. You need the two center bars to angle back not forward. There fighting the design of the rig.
This is just an opinion on the cosmetic side of it but figured I'd throw it out there.

Structurally it's better the way it is since the triangulate the bends in the verticle bars. Still ugly till you change the angles in my opinion.(Oh and poeder/paint them to match also.)

DerekL
04-15-2007, 06:54 PM
i think the door would look better with the bars in the other way, and i would def paint it to match my inferno red. if this guy doesn't get back to me im gonna try making them myself and probally use his as a template for something a little smoother?

wjguy
05-06-2007, 04:54 PM
so is this guy gonna get better pics or what, like you guys said it doesnt flow well with the wj different style might help, but not a all around bad idea

DerekL
05-06-2007, 10:31 PM
the guy sent me these pics after awhile and a price of 250 i asked him a question back and still haven't heard anything...
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/blacksheep753/IMGP0403.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/blacksheep753/IMGP0404.jpg

BigDaveZJ
05-06-2007, 10:40 PM
This guy hasn't been on the board in almost a year, and his Vendor subscription is expired.

Thread closed!