PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a F R Swap

ChiefWoohaw
03-01-2006, 12:23 AM
I bought a ZJ with a 3" Fabtac Coil spacer in the front and some stacked isolater in the rear which allowed the guy to run 31s. I am going to graduate college in Dec and instead of signing another lease I bought a 16' trailer to live in my last semester. Now the problem is that I pulled a trailer with it and it squated pretty bad. I think that this new trailer will actuall make the tires sqeak the fenders on a bump. So to level it all out I'm going to buy some new Front Springs and put them in the back.

Not only leveling out the ZJ and getting rid of those extra isolaters. So will the front springs squat with a load on them is the question I would like you brilliant ZJ guys to think over and either answer or throw out a quess for me :)

Thanks,
Drew

zj-monster
03-01-2006, 12:35 AM
The front springs your gonna use will be a hell of a lot better than the rear springs, that's for sure. Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea what the wieght is up front on your trailer?

And by all means please post a photo of this set up, for some reason I gotta see the stacked isolators and your trailer hooked up to the ZJ. :rolleyes:

ChiefWoohaw
03-01-2006, 12:38 AM
That trailer is unloaded but It was about 250 tounge weight and I only rubed once with it on a big bump. The new camper is going to around 400 TW so I"m quite worried. I had a 95 before with the 3" skyjacker so when I saw this I just rolled my eyes but the deal I got on it was too good and I see it as I saved this jeep :D

fr3db3ar
03-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Just my $.02...if you're gonna invest in new springs why not jsut buy a set of front with 3-3.5 lift and move the current front to the rear...you have plenty of spacers to level it all out. The cost of the springs can't be that much different and you'll have a better ride towing.

ChiefWoohaw
03-01-2006, 03:14 PM
How is the spring rate on Front Springs? Will they squat real bad in the rear with a load put on them?

fr3db3ar
03-01-2006, 06:47 PM
How is the spring rate on Front Springs? Will they squat real bad in the rear with a load put on them?

I believe they have a higher spring rate than the rear....they are meant to handle the weight of your engine. :confused:

My ride seems stiffer since doing this

doyll
03-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I use an equalizer hitch to level out the load. Would still do a F > R lift. V8 springs are stiffer then I6 springs. Stiff shocks help too. I have Rancho 9000's Contact me in about a month. I think I have a pair of rear 9000s extra at my son's in California. I'm going down to visit and lift my ZJ.