PDA

View Full Version : just how long can a car battery actually last?

BigDaveZJ
02-28-2006, 12:22 AM
The Avalon has been starting a little slow lately and needing a jump on really cold (below zero) mornings. So today I finally got around to replacing the battery and found out it was the ORIGINAL battery! Manufacture date of 10/01/1995! The Av's a 96 with 104,000 miles on it, and one freaking battery. Yet my Red Top only lasted a little over 3 years . . . maybe Henley's onto something.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-28-2006, 12:25 AM
DAYUM... thasa old bitch!

CurtP
02-28-2006, 01:59 PM
Probably has a lot to do with how the battery leads its life. I kill batteries on a regular basis. We have five cars in this household (and there's only the two of us). Sitting for a long periods of time, running the stereo with the engine off (while washing, wrenching, etc), cranking over a high-compression motor, etc all take a toll on battery life. I'm lucky to get two years out of a standard lead-acid battery, and Optimas don't even make it a year (both red-top and yellow-top). The GF, on the other hand, just gets in and drives and hers last forever.

I have resorted to buying DiHard Gold batteries because of their warranty (3-year full replacement, 100-month limited warranty) and they're still under $90.

nate
02-28-2006, 09:34 PM
They say to replace the batteries every 4 years whether they are good or not.

My Dad has a 96 Ranger, has the factory battery and it still cranks the engine just fine when it's -25*

The ones in my truck (Interstate) are from 00 or 01 and they are fine.